First DSLR

Thanks for the input. I have a $70 or so budget and want a good lens or 2, do you know of any good but low price lenses? 

Well if you want lenses cheap, then I would suggest looking for the used ones.

It really depends, what type of photographer you are. What lens you need, depends your personal taste.

If you really don't know or you just want to have a single good lens, then it probably should be 35mm f1.8. For example Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f 1.8 is really good lens and it costs around 200$. It's a prime lens so you can't zoom with it. Your feet work as a zoom in this case.

There are other choices but they're not necessarily as good if you use them in the wrong environment. For example Nikkor AF-S FX 85mm f 1.8 is really good for portraits but not so good for street photography. If I were you, I would use the kit lens for start and learn all the secrets that DSLR's have. When you got the gist of it, then you should start wondering, what type of photograps you usually take and buy lenses according to those use cases. Primes are usually better at specific circumstances and they are lighter and cheaper but zooms are obviously more flexible in terms of use cases.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Well if you want lenses cheap, then I would suggest looking for the used ones.

It really depends, what type of photographer you are. What lens you need, depends your personal taste.

If you really don't know or you just want to have a single good lens, then it probably should be 35mm f1.8. For example Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f 1.8 is really good lens and it costs around 200$. It's a prime lens so you can't zoom with it. Your feet work as a zoom in this case.

There are other choices but they're not necessarily as good if you use them in the wrong environment. For example Nikkor AF-S FX 85mm f 1.8 is really good for portraits but not so good for street photography. If I were you, I would use the kit lens for start and learn all the secrets that DSLR's have. When you got the gist of it, then you should start wondering, what type of photograps you usually take and buy lenses according to those use cases. Primes are usually better at specific circumstances and they are lighter and cheaper but zooms are obviously more flexible in terms of use cases.

Okay. Thanks.

I really like my 40mm pancake on my T3i/600D its fairly versitile for only having a single prime lens.

I really like my 40mm pancake on my T3i/600D its fairly versitile for only having a single prime lens.

Thanks for all your help.

Are Tamron lenses okay?

Are Tamron lenses okay?

For 3rd party lens's from what ive seen really depend on which one as one can be not so great and the other amazing and competing with some high end 1st party glass. Also just because a lens is made by the company that makes your camera doesnt make it good youll have to do a bit a research once your willing to put more money in.

Thanks for the input. I have a $70 or so budget and want a good lens or 2, do you know of any good but low price lenses? 

With a budget of 70$, it's hard to find even the most basic lenses at that price. One thing to be learned about lenses its that they don't loose value that much over time. So even the used lenses tend to cost at least half as much as the new ones. For 70$ you might be able to find used kit lens (18-55mm) or 50mm prime lens (most likely f 1.8). If you already have a decent kit lens, you shouldn't waste your money. Buy better lenses when you have the financial resources to do so.

The cheapest new lens that is adequate in terms of quality might be the Canon EF 500 f 1.8 II. It's roughly 120$.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

With a budget of 70$, it's hard to find even the most basic lenses at that price. One thing to be learned about lenses its that they don't loose value that much over time. So even the used lenses tend to cost at least half as much as the new ones. For 70$ you might be able to find used kit lens (18-55mm) or 50mm prime lens (most likely f 1.8). If you already have a decent kit lens, you shouldn't waste your money. Buy better lenses when you have the financial resources to do so.

The cheapest new lens that is adequate in terms of quality might be the Canon EF 500 f 1.8 II. It's roughly 120$.

I was afraid so. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the chance to borrow a t3i from a friend. It is a joy to use. I will defiantly use this camera. What tripod, battery and charger, and if possible a nice zoom lens can I get for $200 or $300

I have had the chance to borrow a t3i from a friend. It is a joy to use. I will defiantly use this camera. What tripod, battery and charger, and if possible a nice zoom lens can I get for $200 or $300

You cant get a nice zoom lens for that (at least new) but maybe double that.

You cant get a nice zoom lens for that (at least new) but maybe double that.

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

I recommend this tripod http://goo.gl/VHWH7j its the best bang for the buck that I could find. It comes in pan or ball head and you can get the other separately if you want both. Its only downside is weight butt its a very sturdy very adjustable tripod otherwise.