what laptop to buy?

Hi all,

next year I'm going off the uni and I will be needing a new laptop. I am doing CAD modelling for my university course but I also want to game on it. I need it to be a laptop so it's portable, so I need some suggestions on what laptop should I get so I could run games like pubg or COD on while fast at rendering 3D stuff. also, I am buying the laptop, please don't make it too expensive. 

thanks

You want a CAD and gaming capable laptop (which CAD software? Solidworks runs like ass on anything non Pro, so no Radeon/Geforce) that's not expensive? 

Good luck ;) 

Do you have a set budget we can work with, and a country/currency?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 11/22/2018 at 5:15 PM, NelizMastr said:

You want a CAD and gaming capable laptop (which CAD software? Solidworks runs like ass on anything non Pro, so no Radeon/Geforce) that's not expensive? 

Good luck ;) 

Do you have a set budget we can work with, and a country/currency?

I'm using SolidWorks and fusion360 most of the time. I don't really have a set budget but I want the price to be low but still has great specs. I'm planning to buy it from Australia but maybe but it from overseas because I'm not sure

True mobile workstation - Thinkpad P52/P72, Precision 7530/7730, Zbook 15/17 G5

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

@GeneXiS_X Is going a little crazy. You can run SolidWorks just fine with consumer graphics cards. my roommate does it for work every day, and I do it for school on occasion. While workstations are good, they are expensive and not really good for university students. Also, I am not sure about your wording, but it seems like you want to game while rendering? That isn't happening on a mobile device. There just isn't enough wattage or cores to do this in a mobile chassis without fiddling with core assignment.

For your "budget" and use case, I would suggest a 1080p laptop, with an 8th generation i7, and at least a 1050ti. The 1050ti isn't amazing, but it will get you 1080 at 60fps with some compromises, especially in a well cooled chassis. 1060 would be MUCH better. Get 16GB of RAM, and a 256 SSD + 1TB  hard drive, or even better a 512 SSD.

I am going to put in a quick plug for digital note-taking. Digital notes changed my whole college study life my junior year, and I highly recommend you get something you can take hand-written notes on as well, or budget for an iPad 2018.

Going as cheap as possible, I'm a big fan of the Lenovo Legion Y530 and Y730 laptops. They can be had for about $1000, are well cooled, and look decent. The Dell G5 gaming laptops are really common at my school, and come in many configurations that are mostly well priced, but personally I prefer the ROG strix Hero and Scar models.

Just now, Bustapalapeno said:

You can run SolidWorks just fine with consumer graphics cards

I'm noob in software side things

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128