SSD won't show in bios

gucciguy
Go to solution Solved by pr0xZen,

Ah yes. You're gonna want to reformat the SSD as GPT for UEFI compatability. Unless you need it, I would advice against running in legacy mode just to avoid formating the SSD to keep it as MBR (which I don't imagine will pose a problem as you're reinstalling your OS anyway).It can pose all kinds of headaches down the road, and the only way of changing it is reformat and reinstall OS.

Lookie here - it gives instructions on how to boot as UEFI (not legacy), with a Windows 10 DVD or USB bootable drive/stick/device/memorycard/potato, and perform the format to GPT (if you're getting this error I expect you have a bootable install available at hand). About 2/3s down the page, look for sub-headline "To manually wipe a drive and convert it to GPT"

My ssd won't show in bios I know the ssd works because I've had it in a older system but I just put new motherboard ram and cpu in my PC and it doesn't show at all. I tried changing ports and trying a new cable

4 minutes ago, gucciguy said:

My ssd won't show in bios I know the ssd works because I've had it in a older system but I just put new motherboard ram and cpu in my PC and it doesn't show at all. I tried changing ports and trying a new cable

What motherboard are you using?

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

2 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

Asus z390-f strix

20 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

I tried swapping cables again with no luck

5 minutes ago, pr0xZen said:

What drive, and how was it set up in the old system?

Its a Sata ssd, I had a 2nd drive which was an sshd and I also have it in my current system, but now when I try to install Windows on the hard drive it shows the ssd when but it says that it's mbr and it has to be gpt to get windows installed

Ah yes. You're gonna want to reformat the SSD as GPT for UEFI compatability. Unless you need it, I would advice against running in legacy mode just to avoid formating the SSD to keep it as MBR (which I don't imagine will pose a problem as you're reinstalling your OS anyway).It can pose all kinds of headaches down the road, and the only way of changing it is reformat and reinstall OS.

Lookie here - it gives instructions on how to boot as UEFI (not legacy), with a Windows 10 DVD or USB bootable drive/stick/device/memorycard/potato, and perform the format to GPT (if you're getting this error I expect you have a bootable install available at hand). About 2/3s down the page, look for sub-headline "To manually wipe a drive and convert it to GPT"

On 11/23/2018 at 2:25 AM, pr0xZen said:

Thanks this fixed it and i can finally use my computer again haha