Old Laptop not delivering as many FPS as it used to.

I have a 6-year-old laptop 3rd gen Intel i5 with Nvidia 640m. Comparing its performance while playing dota2 3 years back to its current performance --> from 60fps medium settings(70% texture) to 30fps(40% texture) low settings I understand that the game engine has changed, it used to put out 60fps(maybe bit lower settings) in the new engine as aswell . I think the main reason is that CPU and GPU are not being efficiently cooled because when i check temperatures its arround 80c although i am not sure if the performance of electronic components degrade overtime. can someone tell me what might be wrong? I am considering changing thermal paste for now.

IMG_20181110_214638.jpg

Can you check clockspeed. Maybe cleanig out the fins from accumulated dust could suffice. Changing thermal paste sounds like a good idea too.

I am not into dota but I highly doubt nemands from 3 years ago were the same as they are today. Have they done any graphical overhauls. I only played LoL and the made a few huge visual leaps over the years also affecting performance significantly.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Clean the heatsink and fans, replace the TIM.

Another likely reason would be down to game updates.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Just want to throw this out there, but maybe you should try to reinstall the operating system.

@Amforev I am using a HDD

@firelighter487 @GER_T4IGA @SolarNova I have cleaned the fan . but i am not sure if the heat sink fins are clean because it is out of reach 

@Billy Pilgrim I have switched OS alot of times because Dota2 runs on linux i have used Linux as my daily driver for 3 years now i am back on window 10.

3 minutes ago, sagarsg154 said:

I have switched OS alot of times because Dota2 runs on linux i have used Linux as my daily driver for 3 years now i am back on window 10

When did you last reinstall the OS. OS corruption can lead to bad problems. Or if you can afford it buy an SSD and clean install everything then transfer your files over. That may help.

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

When did you last reinstall the OS. OS corruption can lead to bad problems. Or if you can afford it buy an SSD and clean install everything then transfer your files over. That may help.

one and half months ago

3 minutes ago, sagarsg154 said:

one and half months ago

Try to run a disk first aid program, your issues may be caused by a file system corruption.

1 minute ago, sagarsg154 said:

@Billy Pilgrim I feel my File system is fine everything works just fine except gaming

Ok, you might want to download a hardware benchmark program to see if you problem is with the games or that your processor is not preforming as well as the same model in other computers. This information could be extremely useful.

@sagarsg154 Can you install this free tool and tell me what are the results. (It checks the condition of a hard drive).

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Then in a box on the left top corner you will see the status of your disk. I have marked it on a photo.

Tell us what is your result.

Sorry for my perfect English. ;)

6263__crystaldiskinfo_1_12_1_15.png

@GER_T4IGA GPU temp at 0% load is arround 56~57 c @135Mhz . clocks reach to 624Mhz at most during game and temps are arround 76c