GTX or RTX?

Keatonmc

I'm looking to start building a desktop so I can stop putting so much strain on my laptop. I'm wondering if I should go for the RTX line or stick with the GTX.

If you're going to be playing games that use raytracing, then go for an rtx card. Otherwise, get a GTX card. Just don't get the 2080ti, that card has overheating issues.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

If you're going to be playing games that use raytracing, then go for an rtx card. Otherwise, get a GTX card. Just don't get the 2080ti, that card has overheating issues.

No overheating issues with my 2080ti....

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

So I'm fairly new to the pc gaming world and pc building in general.  What is raytracing?

2 minutes ago, Keatonmc said:

So I'm fairly new to the pc gaming world and pc building in general.  What is raytracing?

Is go rtx 

no doubt Nvdia drivers will get better plus new features plus longer support

unless your on an extra budget 

and ur not going to play any new games I’d go rtx 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

gtx line up, especially considering you do not even know what ray tracing is. As of now, ray tracing is pretty meaningless, considering there are barely any games that support it. You'd be better off getting Nvidia's 1000 series gpu's, even a cheaper one, and then when they launch their next gpu's when ray tracing will be more relevant, you buy one of those

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

8 minutes ago, Keatonmc said:

use quote function, so we get notified and come back

Raytracing is a theoretically better way to do lighting, reflections and shadows compared to what we have. Atm it's still in early adopter stage, in which bugs occur frequently and performance on even the best hardware is poor. Price is steep too. Ignore this tech for the mean time.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Raytracing is a theoretically better way to do lighting, reflections and shadows compared to what we have. Atm it's still in early adopter stage, in which bugs occur frequently and performance on even the best hardware is poor. Price is steep too. Ignore this tech for the mean time.

thanks for the tips

14 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

No overheating issues with my 2080ti....

Maybe, but Nvidia has delisted the 2080ti from their site, so it's best to wait 

Nvm thats fake news 

Edited by Shreyas1

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

I just wanted to say that the "performance on the best hardware is poor" is a bit misleading. Performance if measured in FPS is poor - but to do so, it has to do more. Arguably performance is great :)

2 hours ago, Keatonmc said:

I'm looking to start building a desktop so I can stop putting so much strain on my laptop. I'm wondering if I should go for the RTX line or stick with the GTX.

The best desktops start with the question: What do you want to do?

RTX graphics will look great in cinematic games (e.g. Tomb Raider series). If you're mainly into playing shooters, RTX won't do much for you.

So, what do you want to play? And how much money do you want to spend? What do you think of buying a used GPU?

On 11/18/2018 at 6:49 PM, daimonie said:

I just wanted to say that the "performance on the best hardware is poor" is a bit misleading. Performance if measured in FPS is poor - but to do so, it has to do more. Arguably performance is great :)

The best desktops start with the question: What do you want to do?

RTX graphics will look great in cinematic games (e.g. Tomb Raider series). If you're mainly into playing shooters, RTX won't do much for you.

So, what do you want to play? And how much money do you want to spend? What do you think of buying a used GPU?

I play a lot of overwatch and CS:GO with a sprinkle of farcry 5 and bethesda games.  I have a 2070 build on paper for just over 1500 so id like to stay in that range.

For those, the RTX 2070 wouldn't use the new fancy tech. Rather, it would trade blows with the 1080.

The 1080 Ti is stronger than that; so if you are going for results at that pricepoint, GTX 1080 Ti seems the way to go.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:25 PM, daimonie said:

For those, the RTX 2070 wouldn't use the new fancy tech. Rather, it would trade blows with the 1080.

The 1080 Ti is stronger than that; so if you are going for results at that pricepoint, GTX 1080 Ti seems the way to go.

Thanks