Wanting to go further with youtube. Some good programs wanted

MajorFoley

So i have a small letsplay channel with some videos and such and how i used to do it was record with FRAPS and the compress with x264 with virtual dub. While it was great at the time i think its time to go further.

I want to record in lossless if possible, OBS records straight to x264 and when i tried to put it into something like vegas it didn't like the file for some reason and wouldn't take it.

So what im looking for there is mainly a new recording program.

Another thing i want to do is start adding intros to my video with fonts and scenes similar to the game, like a fade in title of the video with font from the game (like Age of mythology for instance) but i have no idea how i could do that and was wondering if anyone has tutorials and programs that would let me do something like that.

Lastly I'm kind of looking for video editing software that would let me attach said title and video together while also still allowing me to compress to x264. I heard there's davinci resolve but i'm not sure if that lets you change quality settings from the codec itself or if it just goes by its own presets of high medium low quality settings.

Any recommendations would help thank you!

Davinci is very powerful and lets you set many output options, codecs and so on.

As it is free, I'd give it a shot and see if it fulfills your personal needs

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 hour ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Davinci is very powerful and lets you set many output options, codecs and so on.

As it is free, I'd give it a shot and see if it fulfills your personal needs

And for recording?

1 hour ago, MajorFoley said:

And for recording?

i have no clue at all...
don't use screen recording at all, but it might help you for editing

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 hour ago, MajorFoley said:

And for recording?

Free or paid? You can use your GPUs software for recording. Then there are few paid options, Dxtory for example.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Free or paid? You can use your GPUs software for recording. Then there are few paid options, Dxtory for example.

I don't mind paying if i gotta but would like to record lossless if possible. 

2 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

I don't mind paying if i gotta but would like to record lossless if possible. 

You should try http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html

Others that I know are Camtasia and XSplit. Besides OBS, Afterburner and GPU ones.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You should try http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html

Others that I know are Camtasia and XSplit. Besides OBS, Afterburner and GPU ones.

Hmm heard DXtory can also help stream some more difficult games that OBS doesn't like...
Its about 45.91 AUD. They do have a demo but have a water mark hmmm. Maybe ill give it a shot, although a Ryzen 5 shouldn't have too much issue should it? 

1 minute ago, MajorFoley said:

Hmm heard DXtory can also help stream some more difficult games that OBS doesn't like...
Its about 45.91 AUD. They do have a demo but have a water mark hmmm. Maybe ill give it a shot, although a Ryzen 5 shouldn't have too much issue should it? 

I think watermarked demo is enough so that you can asses if files are compatible with Vegas. Be thankful that they offer demo in first place, its dying practice in these days. Plus watermark doesn't take away quality.

I don't think your CPU is going to be issue. Recording eats cores.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I think watermarked demo is enough so that you can asses if files are compatible with Vegas. Be thankful that they offer demo in first place, its dying practice in these days. Plus watermark doesn't take away quality.

I don't think your CPU is going to be issue. Recording eats cores.

Hmm their latest update was last year. I see camtasia's company also has screen recorder called snagit but never really heard of it.
Is it possible to change the codec that OBS uses for recording?

So anything for this issue please?

On 11/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, MajorFoley said:

Another thing i want to do is start adding intros to my video with fonts and scenes similar to the game, like a fade in title of the video with font from the game (like Age of mythology for instance) but i have no idea how i could do that and was wondering if anyone has tutorials and programs that would let me do something like that.

15 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

So anything for this issue please?

Sorry for not replying the thing before, but I don't know answer to that. I use Resolve for editing and OBS recordings work on that just fine.

As for intros. If you want animated, I can't help on that. For just still images and fonts/text, you can do it with any image editor. Free ones are GIMP and Krita. Its about preference which to use. Paid include Photoshop, Paintshop Pro etc. Youtube is good source of tutorials, and Gimp has very good documentation also. My learning was done back in high school and I've extended that with tutorials from YT or blogs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Sorry for not replying the thing before, but I don't know answer to that. I use Resolve for editing and OBS recordings work on that just fine.

As for intros. If you want animated, I can't help on that. For just still images and fonts/text, you can do it with any image editor. Free ones are GIMP and Krita. Its about preference which to use. Paid include Photoshop, Paintshop Pro etc. Youtube is good source of tutorials, and Gimp has very good documentation also. My learning was done back in high school and I've extended that with tutorials from YT or blogs.

Thanks man, just ran my first test with DXtory with lagirith codec with multi threading and RGB and man did the file size end up huge for a 12 minute video. 127GB, i noticed that it also by default will not keep the mic and game audio in one track and you have to extract it as they are 2 channels and VLC or WMP will not run 2 tracks at once. Guessing there's no one to have them just be one? I know it's better to have em separate but it's just a thing i'd like to know Well don't wanna start with Animated just yet. Maybe just image text fading in ya know. Im downloading Resolve now and gonna try to see how well this compresses with the X264 codec i installed. I think i used to use very fast at the time but gonna try medium first.

I did notice with DXtory the recorded FPS liked to go between 56-60 fps which isn't too bad although when the game transitioned into cutscenes or whatever it would drop massively for a sec but its not a big deal. This was just on Age of mythology EE as a test. Saved the recording to my NVME drive but i think i may have to get a separate 500 or 1TB SSD if i wanna record with good speed. I got a 4TB HDD (WD Black) but even with its speeds at 160MB/s I was getting some pretty big dips for some reason and it definitely affected gameplay as i was playing. Does DXtory force your monitor if its a 144 to run at 60 while recording?

EDIT: so tried putting the file in resolve the one i made with the SDD and nothing happens, i guess it may not be compatible with the codec... I'm gonna contact them

EDIT 2: so tried some other codecs like UT video, i noticed if i want to use something like RGB i will get frame drops in the recording file, around 1-12 (so around 48-60fps) when i was using UT video RGB VCM and around 1-15 while using lagirith. When i tried UT video 4:4:4 709 it was a lot less, around 1-5 at times so about 55-60 fps. I noticed the drops don't really happen if its recording to the SSD instead of the HDD. So i dunno despite the benchmark maybe the HDD is having trouble keeping up with the write speed needed if i wanted to record with RGB? I mean it is a bit full. Recording with x264 directly wasn't the greatest idea either, pretty much less than 30fps all the time

I think DXtory is now out of the question, it hasnt been updated and one of the games i do wish to record Doom 2016 will absolutely not run with DXtory, the moment it tried to hook in it crashes, kind of leaves me with OBS at the moment, gotta find a way to record lossless instead of straight to x264 on it. Funny though resolve wont take an MKV of x264 from it but it will take the file if i change the recording format to mp4. Go figure...

10 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

I think DXtory is now out of the question, it hasnt been updated and one of the games i do wish to record Doom 2016 will absolutely not run with DXtory, the moment it tried to hook in it crashes, kind of leaves me with OBS at the moment, gotta find a way to record lossless instead of straight to x264 on it. Funny though resolve wont take an MKV of x264 from it but it will take the file if i change the recording format to mp4. Go figure...

AFAIK .mkv and .mp4 are same container pretty much. As those are the ones you choose between with Handbrake. But thats all I know about that. XSplit might be another software to take a look. But again, those are only ones I'm avare of.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/20/2018 at 2:53 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

AFAIK .mkv and .mp4 are same container pretty much. As those are the ones you choose between with Handbrake. But thats all I know about that. XSplit might be another software to take a look. But again, those are only ones I'm avare of.

OBS has an option to mux MKV into MP4 if i had to which does work, its more of a precautionary thing but considering recordings aren't gonna be more than an hour it shouldn't be that much of an issue. The problem is how to get OBS to go lossless when its only giving me pretty much 2 codec options. NVENC and X264...
Sorry for the late really been busy.
Also resolve  unlike vegas doesn't seem to take my codec X264 settings (like with vegas profile you can tell it to use that codec) but with resolve i don't see such an option i think you need to use their presets.

4 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

OBS has an option to mux MKV into MP4 if i had to which does work, its more of a precautionary thing but considering recordings aren't gonna be more than an hour it shouldn't be that much of an issue. The problem is how to get OBS to go lossless when its only giving me pretty much 2 codec options. NVENC and X264...
Sorry for the late really been busy.
Also resolve  unlike vegas doesn't seem to take my codec X264 settings (like with vegas profile you can tell it to use that codec) but with resolve i don't see such an option i think you need to use their presets.

I don't know anything about lossles, or if there even is open-source format for lossless video OBS could utilize. With Resolve and Vegas it falls down to paid vs free. Resolve is enough for most and since its free, those most don't feel any great need to move for paid. So in your situation I don't think you should abandon Vegas.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I don't know anything about lossles, or if there even is open-source format for lossless video OBS could utilize. With Resolve and Vegas it falls down to paid vs free. Resolve is enough for most and since its free, those most don't feel any great need to move for paid. So in your situation I don't think you should abandon Vegas.

Won't have a choice, it's a trial, could always wait for a sale, too bad i missed the humble bundle they had on months ago apparently. Guess ill go ask OBS community and see what they think.

Thanks for your replies man, still gotta figure out how im gonna copy games fonts for use as intros but we will see.