Blank screen despite BIOS sound cue and spinning fan

Go to solution Solved by Constantine_99,
3 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

I have similar issue with latest windows where bios posts ect then black screen turning on n off a few times fixed it for me 

thanks but I've tried that and it doesn't work (since basically the PC boots fine, it just doesn't have any display)

however, I've found the source of the problem, it's the HDMI port... somehow my friend managed to brick it for whatever reason, the issue can be evaded by using the other display ports: DVI-D / DP port (can't use the word "fixed" since basically the problem still persists on that HDMI port)

for those of you who encounter the same kind of issue as mine in the future, do try this before actually throwing the card away :)

I just sold my RX 460 to my friend, and before he took it home, I made sure to check that everything's working fine and dandy (at the very least, it does boot up and show display up to the windows login), however, at the very next day, he complained about the GPU won't display anything despite the PC actually booting just fine (1 beep POST). When he tried using the onboard graphic, the display would show up just fine

After coming to his house and swapping out few different hardware to no avail, I took it home with me for further testing, the only new thing that I could learn from my home testing is that the PC actually boots up just fine, because I managed to enter and browse the BIOS despite not having any sort of display in my monitor (confirmed by BIOS sound effect).

parts I've swapped out:

Spoiler

a) 3 mobos that I've tried:
- Asrock H61m-HVGS
- Asrock Z77 Extreme3
- Jetway TI61MA (H61)
b) Windows:
- Windows 7 Home
- Windows 10 Pro
c) CPU:
- G850

- i5 2400

- i7 2600k
d) PSU:
- 1stPlayer DK5.0 500w 80+ Bronze
- HEC 400w 70+ (my old PSU, handled even an R9 270 and GTX 1060 just fine, so I can vouch for its performance)
e) RAM:
- 2*4 GB DDR3 sticks that my friend had
- Kingston 1*8 GB DDR3 stick that I had

things I've tried so far:

- CMOS battery drain
- boot into safe mode and use DDU to clean up the old driver
- disabling the basic VGA adapter (if I enabled it, I won't be able to boot into windows even when connected through the mobo, since his monitor would keep spewing "out of range" error)
- booting with different hardware (CPU, mobo, PSU, and even different RAM stick)
- changing the primary graphics adapter to PCIe instead of onboard
- asking the people of this forum for help

all test was done on HDMI only since that's the only one that I had (planning to get some adapter to try other ports)
Anything else I could try?

Nobody responded because the topic is written like a story. Lots of posts come through here, not everyone has the stamina to go through your story about how your friend called you and how you had unrelated earlier issues with the mobo. Please cut the fluff from the post, keep it pungent and remove any information that's not critical.

Here's an example of how you could have written this:

I sold my old i5 2400 and RX 460 rig to a friend,  after some troubleshooting  discovered that some of the CPU pins in his socket is broken. I already verified that every part that I'm about to give him is working just fine.
Friend later noted he said that he ordered a new mobo, built a system but when the GPU is fitted unto the motherboard, it won't show any display, it'll beep normally, but the screen would stay black. I verified when the GPU is on the PCIe slot, we got normal 1 beep post but no display whatsoever,  iGPU runs fine however.

Parts we’ve swapped out to rule out hardware issues.

- Asrock H61m-HVGS
- Asrock Z77 Extreme3
- Jetway TI61MA (H61)
b) Windows:
- my friend used Windows 7 Home
- I used Windows 10 Pro
c) CPU:
- G850
- i5 2400
- i7 2600k
d) PSU:
- 1stPlayer DK5.0 500w 80+ Bronze (my friend's new PSU)
- HEC 400w 70+ (my old PSU, handled even an R9 270 and GTX 1060 just fine, so i can vouch for it's perfomance)

- CMOS battery drain
- disabling the basic VGA adapter (if I enabled it, I won't be able to boot into windows even when connected through the mobo, since his monitor would keep spewing "out of range" error)
- booting with different hardware (CPU, mobo, PSU, and even different RAM stick)
all test was done on HDMI only since that's the only one that I had 

Further actions I can try?

Bit shorter huh?

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Nobody responded because the topic is written like a story. Lots of posts come through here, not everyone has the stamina to go through your story about how your friend called you and how you had unrelated earlier issues with the mobo. Please cut the fluff from the post, keep it pungent and remove any information that's not critical.

Here's an example of how you could have written this:

my old i5 2400 and RX 460 rig I sold to a friend,  after some troubleshooting  discovered that some of the CPU pins in his socket is broken. I already verified that every part that I'm about to give him is working just fine.
Friend later noted he said that he ordered a new mobo, built a system but when the GPU is fitted unto the motherboard, it won't show any display, it'll beep normally, but the screen would stay black. I verified when the GPU is on the PCIe slot, we got normal 1 beep post but no display whatsoever,  iGPU runs fine however.

Parts we’ve swapped out to rule out hardware issues.

Reveal hidden contents

- Asrock H61m-HVGS
- Asrock Z77 Extreme3
- Jetway TI61MA (H61)
b) Windows:
- my friend used Windows 7 Home
- I used Windows 10 Pro
c) CPU:
- G850
- i5 2400
- i7 2600k
d) PSU:
- 1stPlayer DK5.0 500w 80+ Bronze (my friend's new PSU)
- HEC 400w 70+ (my old PSU, handled even an R9 270 and GTX 1060 just fine, so i can vouch for it's perfomance)

- CMOS battery drain
all test was done on HDMI only since that's the only one that I had 

Further actions I can try?

Bit shorter huh?

I see, I'll shorten my post, by the way, regarding the forum, which one's the best for my kind of prob? should I keep the one on the workbench / the one on computer hardware?

Just now, Constantine_99 said:

I see, I'll shorten my post, by the way, regarding the forum, which one's the best for my kind of prob? should I keep the one on the workbench / the one on computer hardware?

Another tip for using forums, don't quote large pieces of text to respond. @Tag someone instead. Or snip out a specific piece of text if it's necessary.

Don't quote images either.

As to answer your question, most people browse the recent topics. But this is clearly a graphics card issue, as the system booted and displayed properly on the iGPU.

I have similar issue with latest windows where bios posts ect then black screen turning on n off a few times fixed it for me 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

3 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

thanks but I've tried that and it doesn't work (since basically the PC boots fine, it just doesn't have any display)

however, I've found the source of the problem, it's the HDMI port... somehow my friend managed to brick it for whatever reason, the issue can be evaded by using the other display ports: DVI-D / DP port (can't use the word "fixed" since basically the problem still persists on that HDMI port)

for those of you who encounter the same kind of issue as mine in the future, do try this before actually throwing the card away :)