Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't Figure out the Bottleneck!

So I can't figure out why my CPU And GPU are not performing to there 100% in most games! 
For e.g in GTA V I am getting around 60% GPU AND CPU Usage and around 40% GPU AND CPU USAGE in CS GO! In Far Cry 5 with the resolution scale set to 1 the GPU AND CPU are around 60-70% used but with the resolution set to 2 the bottleneck gets removed and the GPU usage goes to 100% I am very confused!
NOTE: I recently upgraded to i7 6700 from i5 6400 and 1070 from 1050Ti 
My Specs:
Core i7 6700 with Cooler Master TX3 EVO (so the temp are pretty low around 60-70c)
8 GB DDR3 1600mhz Ram
EVGA FTW 1070 8 GB (temps around 70c)
Thermaltake Smart Series 700 watt PSU

ASUS H110m-k MOBO
If you need any further info please ask!

And NO Vsync is not ON!556539903_FarCry5Screenshot2018_11_16-15_04_16_40.thumb.png.62640e19aa75e5c1be93c6273dcdc22b.png525173151_FarCry5Screenshot2018_11.16-15_07_25_98.thumb.png.3a36f0654cea27116a9e718ee53459ba.png1096995869_Counter-strikeGlobalOffensiveScreenshot2018_11.16-14_56_18_02.thumb.png.57958f8c7301f85fa0af7e413e5000db.png57557608_Counter-strikeGlobalOffensiveScreenshot2018_11.16-14_51_47_33.thumb.png.f2b5447a52cd848136daa7d0782ec66e.png1120536136_GrandTheftAutoVScreenshot2018_11.16-14_17_47_64.thumb.png.91f34d97b78ea3d1b5190f9816ddb4f3.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

when upgrading did you do a reinstall of windows?
if not did you completely uninstall all the old drivers?
with something like ddu?
and did you install the latest newest drivers for the right gpu?

 

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.
   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Aarij Imam said:

So I can't figure out why my CPU And GPU are not performing to there 100% in most games! 

NOTE: I recently upgraded to i7 6700 from i5 6400 and 1070 from 1050Ti 
My Specs:
Core i7 6700 with Cooler Master TX3 EVO (so the temp are pretty low around 60-70c)
8 GB DDR3 1600mhz Ram
EVGA FTW 1070 8 GB (temps around 70c)
Thermaltake Smart Series 700 watt PSU
If you need any further info please ask!

And NO Vsync is not ON!

I'm missing the motherboard in this list. Considering you're running DDR3 memory, I'm guessing some low end H110 board without active VRM cooling? If so, your problem is likely VRM throttling. Those boards aren't made for i7s.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

when upgrading did you do a reinstall of windows?
if not did you completely uninstall all the old drivers?
with something like ddu?
and did you install the latest newest drivers for the right gpu?

 

I didn't reinstall Windows but I did reinstall all the drivers and yes they are upto date!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm missing the motherboard in this list. Considering you're running DDR3 memory, I'm guessing some low end H110 board without active VRM cooling? If so, your problem is likely VRM throttling. Those boards aren't made for i7s.

Yes the motherboard is a Asus H110m-k D3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aarij Imam said:

Yes the motherboard is a Asus H110m-k D3

Yeah that board has completely bare VRMs. I'd try running it with the side panel off or mount a fan over the VRMs so they get some cool air. These boards really aren't suited to an i7.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Yeah that board has completely bare VRMs. I'd try running it with the side panel off or mount a fan over the VRMs so they get some cool air. These boards really aren't suited to an i7.

I have the Corsair Spec 04 Case with only 1 Case Fan will installing more fans help? How am I supposed to mount a fan over the VRM?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yeah that board has completely bare VRMs. I'd try running it with the side panel off or mount a fan over the VRMs so they get some cool air. These boards really aren't suited to an i7.

Neither can I afford a new mobo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Aarij Imam said:

I have the Corsair Spec 04 Case with only 1 Case Fan will installing more fans help? How am I supposed to mount a fan over the VRM?

Just jerry rig it over the VRM.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Just jerry rig it over the VRM.

will adding more case fans not help? and i dont get what you mean is there a special fan for vrm?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Aarij Imam said:

will adding more case fans not help? and i dont get what you mean is there a special fan for vrm?

 

The thing is, if you want to keep using that i7, you'll need to have a fan blowing directly on top of the VRM to keep it cool under load. Better quality boards use heatsinks on top of the VRMs to dissipate most of the heat, which would be sufficient for a locked i7 like yours.

 

Adding case fans in general mostly helps with the overall temperature in the case. It might help enough to reduce the issue somewhat. Make sure you have sufficient intake and exhaust airflow.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

The thing is, if you want to keep using that i7, you'll need to have a fan blowing directly on top of the VRM to keep it cool under load. Better quality boards use heatsinks on top of the VRMs to dissipate most of the heat, which would be sufficient for a locked i7 like yours.

 

Adding case fans in general mostly helps with the overall temperature in the case. It might help enough to reduce the issue somewhat. Make sure you have sufficient intake and exhaust airflow.

2019045732_vrmtemps.PNG.e4e864e845856741f0ce58574f49f039.PNG 

these are the temps so i need a fan along the side panel throwing air  at the mobo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

my friend has that exact CPU on a H110 mobo and no problems, and you can look in Youtube, those %'s for that CPU on that game are normal, the GPU is the one that should be at around 100%

 

here's an example, there are a lot more on YT

 

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Aarij Imam said:

 

these are the temps so i need a fan along the side panel throwing air  at the mobo?

Software readouts are rarely accurate, but yes, I'd recommend to actively cool the VRM.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

 

Depends if they'll fit, they may not.

716086258_DesktopScreenshot2018_11.16-17_27_12_54.thumb.png.2b96c313f3debfe32f2d5058646dd1e9.png

Isn't the CPU working fine here in a stress test? Then why does it bottleneck in games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is it won't throttle till the VRM's get hot, which means several minutes to an hour plus for them to heat up depending on a whole bunch of factors.

 

Do us all a favour. Far Cry 5 has a built in benchmark, list all your graphics settings and the result,s (min average and max frame rates), of he benchmark at those settings.The screenshots you showed off are cool and all but they're impossible to get a comparison on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

The point is it won't throttle till the VRM's get hot, which means several minutes to an hour plus for them to heat up depending on a whole bunch of factors.

 

Do us all a favour. Far Cry 5 has a built in benchmark, list all your graphics settings and the result,s (min average and max frame rates), of he benchmark at those settings.The screenshots you showed off are cool and all but they're impossible to get a comparison on.

here, at 1080p with resolution scale set to 1610917422_FarCry5Screenshot2018_11.16-17_40_36_04.thumb.png.b55a2be9d5466800a4e5180f7436914a.png361287802_FarCry5Screenshot2018_11.16-17_39_32_60.thumb.png.0127516df635c086cba775779c62dd78.png2047421972_FarCry5Screenshot2018_11.16-17_40_59_96.thumb.png.2c75dcba149717f2690160abbcc0598f.png945834000_FarCry5Screenshot2018_11.16-17_41_25_07.thumb.png.49447bf7ab693b2cf68e54c62fda47d7.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

CHeers that lets us see a bit more clearly how it is and yeah thats being held back somwhere, not sure where yet. But at least now we can where it might be, though the fact that VRAM usage is higher by about 1 GB compared to some quick benchmarks i dug up makes me wonder if they weren't using slightly less intensive setting somwhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

CHeers that lets us see a bit more clearly how it is and yeah thats being held back somwhere, not sure where yet. But at least now we can where it might be, though the fact that VRAM usage is higher by about 1 GB compared to some quick benchmarks i dug up makes me wonder if they weren't using slightly less intensive setting somwhere.

thats my mistake when i took that ss the resolution scale was set to 2 thats why vram usage is higher but the benchmark is in resolution scale 1 the vram usage in the last ss is proper

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Aarij Imam said:

thats my mistake when i took that ss the resolution scale was set to 2 thats why vram usage is higher but the benchmark is in resolution scale 1 the vram usage in the last ss is proper

 

Had to go out just after you posted the above. Yeah your definitely not getting what you should. Hmmm, i'm hoping someone else has a clue where to start benchmarking.

 

Lets try stuff, see what works. Can you download the 3dmark demo off steam and run fire strike extreme and post the scores. Use compare online to put it online and then link the page it sends you to when you hit compare online. I can use that to try and figure things out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×