Can i overclock on asus prime a320m-a

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
3 minutes ago, Roudy sahmarani said:

Thank you for the reply i want to ask what is the vrm i dont understand it and will i be able to overclock using a software like ryzen master or ai suit 3?or because of my mobo it wont take effect

The VRM is the voltage regulation system, it controls the power that goes to the CPU and other components on the board. On lower end motherboards, this section is usually not cooled by a heatsink or a fan, which means they'll get very hot with the beefier Ryzen 5 and 7 processors, especially when subjected to overvolting and overclocking. This either triggers a protection mechanism which throttles the CPU down to as low as 800MHz or makes the board go up in smoke. It's generally agreed upon that A320 boards are therefore crap and shouldn't be used with chips with a higher TDP than 65W.

Hello i have an asus prime a320m-a with a ryzen 5 1600x on it and 16gb ddr4 2666mhz ram can i overclock on this motherboard or no? And i have ryzen master if i overclock using ryzen master will the cpu overclock or no because of my motherboard and i have asus ai suit 3 can i overclock using it or no i want to know if i can overclock using any method or no and thank you.

No. All AMD A320 boards are locked. A320 boards also have crap VRMs so overclocking, even if you can through software, is not recommended. Get a B350 board instead, like the Asrock AB350 Pro 4.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

No. All AMD A320 boards are locked. A320 boards also have crap VRMs so overclocking, even if you can through software, is not recommended. Get a B350 board instead, like the Asrock AB350 Pro 4.

Thank you for the reply i want to ask what is the vrm i dont understand it and will i be able to overclock using a software like ryzen master or ai suit 3?or because of my mobo it wont take effect

2 minutes ago, Roudy sahmarani said:

Stay away from ai suite it will break your system

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

3 minutes ago, Roudy sahmarani said:

The VRM is the voltage regulation system, it controls the power that goes to the CPU and other components on the board. On lower end motherboards, this section is usually not cooled by a heatsink or a fan, which means they'll get very hot with the beefier Ryzen 5 and 7 processors, especially when subjected to overvolting and overclocking. This either triggers a protection mechanism which throttles the CPU down to as low as 800MHz or makes the board go up in smoke. It's generally agreed upon that A320 boards are therefore crap and shouldn't be used with chips with a higher TDP than 65W.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

So you are saying to me to just leave the settings as default i have changed some settings didnt know what but i have reset the ryzen master to default and removed it and i did load the bios defaul optimized settings so i have reverted everything to default should i keep this on this board and not change anything i mean should i keep all the bios settings to default?

• 4 months later...
On 11/16/2018 at 2:53 AM, NelizMastr said:

And if its a Ryzen 3 1200 or 1300x at 4,0ghz with fans blowing on the vrms   

22 hours ago, psychobean1 said:

You made an account specifically to reply to a 4,5 month old comment? Kudos. That's commitment right there.

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, psychobean1 said:

Well, half an year later we’re waiting for you to provide us with an update, dude!

What happened!? :) 
Accidentally and with testing purposes I’m in a possession of Prime A320M-K/CSM+Athlon 200GE. It suck, PCIe x16 is limited to x4, MVMe is limited to 1x due to Athlon limitation - it’s just obsolete, but good for browsing and Netflix :D 
Of course I had a peak in the CPU compatibility list in ASUS’ website and was really surprised to see official support for R9 105W!?

Ryzen 9 3900XT (3.8GHz, 105W,L3:64M,12C)

Ryzen 9 3950X (3.5GHz,105W,L3:64M,16C)

Now I’m curious about the real and tested compatibility with gen2 Ryzen 9 3900 OEM (35W TDP). No fancy overclocks and boost for now. In case the performance is not enough I’ll definitely get better MoBo. Just plan to test the CPU + 32GB XMP3200 and  a small NVMe SSD. But the question I have is: has anybody tried 65W R7/R9 on this entry-entry level board?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, Ulysses Voyager said:

Well, half an year later we’re waiting for you to provide us with an update, dude!

What happened!? :) 
Accidentally and with testing purposes I’m in a possession of Prime A320M-K/CSM+Athlon 200GE. It suck, PCIe x16 is limited to x4, MVMe is limited to 1x due to Athlon limitation - it’s just obsolete, but good for browsing and Netflix :D 
Of course I had a peak in the CPU compatibility list in ASUS’ website and was really surprised to see official support for R9 105W!?

Now I’m curious about the real and tested compatibility with gen2 Ryzen 9 3900 OEM (35W TDP). No fancy overclocks and boost for now. In case the performance is not enough I’ll definitely get better MoBo. Just plan to test the CPU + 32GB XMP3200 and  a small NVMe SSD. But the question I have is: has anybody tried 65W R7/R9 on this entry-entry level board?

Update 1 month later: It works, stable and really competitive as a performance! Ryzen 9 3900 OEM is amazing processor and the max TDP is 65W. As I see with better MoBo it might achieve results better than 3900XT stock clocks. A curios rumor to test - the motherboard supports NVMe PCIe x4 Gen.4 for some of the obsolete BIOS versions.

Really glad to have