Cpu making noises after delid

I7 7700k delided water-cooled

Hi

I noticed that my PC booted after delid and it didn't sound anything but as soon as I start a game or something I heard a bzzzzzz sound from the CPU.

And it's hard to know if it's from the CPU or the water-cooler 

11 minutes ago, kevin jesus said:

I7 7700k delided water-cooled

Hi

I noticed that my PC booted after delid and it didn't sound anything but as soon as I start a game or something I heard a bzzzzzz sound from the CPU.

And it's hard to know if it's from the CPU or the water-cooler 

Remount.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

1 minute ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Remount.

Could also be from your GPU or PSU. More than likely it isn't your CPU.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

Could also be from your GPU or PSU. More than likely it isn't your CPU.

Won't hurt remounting.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

3 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Won't hurt remounting.

It sounds like Coil whine to be, so it shouldn't be the cpu. If it does it in a game, but not in say a stress test then it is 100% coil whine from the GPU. If the OP also water cooled his GPU then I am even more confident it is the gpu.

Either way a remount isn't going to hurt, but before spending the time on that (if temps are good) run a stress test. See if you hear it. Then relaunch that game and turn on (temporarily) V-Sync. See if V-Sync caused the sound to go away. If so it is 100% GPU.

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

It sounds like Coil whine to be, so it shouldn't be the cpu. If it does it in a game, but not in say a stress test then it is 100% coil whine from the GPU. If the OP also water cooled his GPU then I am even more confident it is the gpu.

Either way a remount isn't going to hurt, but before spending the time on that (if temps are good) run a stress test. See if you hear it. Then relaunch that game and turn on (temporarily) V-Sync. See if V-Sync caused the sound to go away. If so it is 100% GPU.

The sound is coming directly from the CPU 

1 minute ago, kevin jesus said:

The sound is coming directly from the CPU 

How do you KNOW it is the PC? There are many many times that people make that assumption mistakenly as sound from the GPU can also sound like the CPU even if you put your ear down there.

Humor me and just do the testing I suggest above.

23 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Just because it shouldn't be, doesn't mean it isn't the CPU. Remount.

Main PC:

12 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Just because it shouldn't be, doesn't mean it isn't the CPU. Remount.

Ok, I was trying to not go here but.... THE CPU DOES NOT MAKE THAT TYPE OF NOISE. The only noise you might get from one is a sizzle sound from the thermal paste, but the temps for that are no possible with thermal protection on these chips.

The other noise I haven't mentioned that can sound like it is the cpu is actually the VRM's that are located next to it on the board. Which again isn't something to be concerned about... it is just annoying. The fact he was only hearing this when in a game though makes me think it is the gpu.

What game were you playing OP? Where you actually playing the game at the time or in a menu? For example if you have ever played sims 3 for example it will make any gpu have coil whine in the menu if you have Vsync off. So once again if the OP has good temps then the mount isn't the issue. He would need good mount pressure and thermal paste coverage or else he would notice temp issues or have some cores drastically hotter than others.

14 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Ok, I was trying to not go here but.... THE CPU DOES NOT MAKE THAT TYPE OF NOISE. The only noise you might get from one is a sizzle sound from the thermal paste, but the temps for that are no possible with thermal protection on these chips.

The other noise I haven't mentioned that can sound like it is the cpu is actually the VRM's that are located next to it on the board. Which again isn't something to be concerned about... it is just annoying. The fact he was only hearing this when in a game though makes me think it is the gpu.

What game were you playing OP? Where you actually playing the game at the time or in a menu? For example if you have ever played sims 3 for example it will make any gpu have coil whine in the menu if you have Vsync off. So once again if the OP has good temps then the mount isn't the issue. He would need good mount pressure and thermal paste coverage or else he would notice temp issues or have some cores drastically hotter than others.

You can keep explaining yourself randomly, but it does nothing. Remount the CPU, if it's not that move on to different component.

Main PC:

2 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

You can keep explaining yourself randomly, but it does nothing. Remount the CPU, if it's not that move on to different component.

Or you could do some research instead of making some random statement to remount a cpu that you have no data on that indicates it needs a remount. You choose the option that requires opening up the machine, removing the cooler, cleaning up both and then reapply paste he may or may not have left.

Instead of testing the other possibilities that require no dismantling of the device. If he was posting numbers that show high cpu temps or big discrepancies between cores that is one thing, but he is posting about a sound from his CPU (a component that doesn't make noise)

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

Hmm I think you might be right it's coming from GPU buuuuut I wasn't like that yesterday so what could be the cause and is there a way to stop it 

36 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I did put on GTA 5 just to see the temps on CPU after delid and then I just heard a sound from the computer which was loud when I was in game/almost quiet when on pause menu and totally quiet when tabbing out to home screen 

2 minutes ago, kevin jesus said:

I did put on GTA 5 just to see the temps on CPU after delid and then I just heard a sound from the computer which was loud when I was in game/almost quiet when on pause menu and totally quiet when tabbing out to home screen 

Well I wouldn't worry about it either way. Coil whine is normal and can happen in many different circumstances, it doesn't hurt anything just can be annoying.

Just glad you didn't take your computer apart to remount only to find out that didn't solve anything.

16 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Or you could do some research instead of making some random statement to remount a cpu that you have no data on that indicates it needs a remount. You choose the option that requires opening up the machine, removing the cooler, cleaning up both and then reapply paste he may or may not have left.

Instead of testing the other possibilities that require no dismantling of the device. If he was posting numbers that show high cpu temps or big discrepancies between cores that is one thing, but he is posting about a sound from his CPU (a component that doesn't make noise)

Research on system YOU HAVE NOT EVEN SEEN OR HEARD? You're an embarrassment. 

He provides data, it's coming out of CPU, remount CPU.

Comes out of GPU, remount GPU / adjust fan curve. As simple as that.

Main PC:

16 hours ago, kevin jesus said:

If you have spare rice grain amount of thermal paste, remount the cooler, takes 5 minutes and see if that helps at all.

Another thing you can do is use DB meter app on your phone and hold it in your case and move it around. The higher the DB the closer you're to the source of the noise.

I did that before for some of my fans (as they are 3000 RPM) and one of them was making an awful noise and wanted to know exactly which one it is without taking them off.

You can also try setting fans to 100% in Afterburner and checking if you can hear any weird noise coming from the GPU.

Coil whine is not dangerous, unless it is really really loud. Some manufacturers might accept an RMA for it, but only in extreme cases. Otherwise, they'll tell you it's normal.

My 1080 Ti AORUS Xtreme had coil whine, and my other 1080 Ti SC2 EVGA card had it too. I bought SC2 Hybrid a year ago or so and coil whine disappeared as I used my own fan. My 2080 Ti SLI has VERY VERY slight coil whine you can hear if you put your ear to the case but that's about it. It's a lottery really.

If you play at high FPS, you'll experience capacitors (I believe) vibrating so maybe that's what you're hearing? You can try setting your display to 60hz unless it's already 60hz then this wouldn't be a problem. CHECK THIS 1ST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE ABOVE.

Main PC:

5 hours ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Research on system YOU HAVE NOT EVEN SEEN OR HEARD? You're an embarrassment. 

He provides data, it's coming out of CPU, remount CPU.

Comes out of GPU, remount GPU / adjust fan curve. As simple as that.

Research on the fact CPU's do not make that type of noise. The FAN on the cpu can make noise, the VRMs next to the CPU can make noise.... that being said the fact this was happening in a game is a pretty big indicator it was GPU related.

Anyways the OP did discover the source of the noise and it WAS the GPU. So this argument is pointless. You are only arguing for the sake of arguing at this point and to try to save some face. In the end if I thought you had a chance of being right I would have said so... I have no problem acknowledging others or admitting when I am wrong, but in this case I KNOW what I am talking about.

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Research on the fact CPU's do not make that type of noise. The FAN on the cpu can make noise, the VRMs next to the CPU can make noise.... that being said the fact this was happening in a game is a pretty big indicator it was GPU related.

Anyways the OP did discover the source of the noise and it WAS the GPU. So this argument is pointless. You are only arguing for the sake of arguing at this point and to try to save some face. In the end if I thought you had a chance of being right I would have said so... I have no problem acknowledging others or admitting when I am wrong, but in this case I KNOW what I am talking about.

You're persistent aren't you? 

"So this argument is pointless" - So why exactly have you replied? Not mentally stable are we?

You don't know what you're talking about, you simply luckily guessed correctly. I do things step by step and not blindly like you. Since the system is NOT IN FRONT OF YOU. It's like trying to diagnose what's underneath moon surface without being there. Reply to this, and I'll block you with pleasure so I recommend not doing it. Enjoy.

OP: Glad it's sorted, however check the things I posted. It may help in the future.

Main PC:

10 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

You're persistent aren't you? 

"So this argument is pointless" - So why exactly have you replied? Not mentally stable are we?

You don't know what you're talking about, you simply luckily guessed correctly. I do things step by step and not blindly like you. Since the system is NOT IN FRONT OF YOU. It's like trying to diagnose what's underneath moon surface without being there. Reply to this, and I'll block you with pleasure so I recommend not doing it. Enjoy.

OP: Glad it's sorted, however check the things I posted. It may help in the future.

First off insults? Please grow up.

Second if you want to block me that is fine and will not hurt my feelings at all.

Lastly, if you think it was a "lucky guess" then maybe you should look at my post history and also my background. There are times I make an educated guess on things, but this was not one of them. Also, just because the argument was pointless doesn't mean I cannot respond. I have no problem trying to educate when needed.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

First off insults? Please grow up.

Second if you want to block me that is fine and will not hurt my feelings at all.

Lastly, if you think it was a "lucky guess" then maybe you should look at my post history and also my background. There are times I make an educated guess on things, but this was not one of them. Also, just because the argument was pointless doesn't mean I cannot respond. I have no problem trying to educate when needed.

Do you think your opinion matters? On the internet? Okay dude. Enjoy the block. 

You don't know my background either. 

You cannot respond? From now on you won't even see my posts! Stupidity needs to be blocked. Good bye (not).

Main PC:

Run Prime95.  See if your CPU buzzes.  If not, it's not the CPU.

These two bickering aren't helping your cause.  

If the problem only shows up during gaming it makes me think it isn't the CPU.  But run the test first and see what you hear.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

12 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Run Prime95.  See if your CPU buzzes.  If not, it's not the CPU.

These two bickering aren't helping your cause.  

If the problem only shows up during gaming it makes me think it isn't the CPU.  But run the test first and see what you hear.

I prefer to call it "Educating" or "coaching." Either way OP already discovered the source was his GPU. Also as I have already covered the CPU does not "buzz" it can "sizzle" but that requires enough heat to fry the TIM or it could also mean there is water on the IHS/DIE. Either way those temps should not be possible with todays technology as the CPU would throttle or shut off the machine first.

Also for the record. I happen to be a Super User on the Intel forums. So I have seen plenty of these claims and had to respond to them in kind. Being a super user gives me direct access to actually intel chip developers and engineers when needed and I have posed this question to them before (just to make sure I had a good answer to give). They gave me a pretty low level explanation that I didn't even 100% follow at first... either way it isn't possible.

While I do agree the CPU doesn't buzz.  It's important to help others with the troubleshooting process.  

If OP believes it's the CPU, show them a test they can run to prove it is or isn't.  If you truly believe in "educating" then help guide people through the process.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

5 minutes ago, Velcade said:

While I do agree the CPU doesn't buzz.  It's important to help others with the troubleshooting process.  

If OP believes it's the CPU, show them a test they can run to prove it is or isn't.  If you truly believe in "educating" then help guide people through the process.

Did you read the thread? I did provide ways to test. Anyways I have no desire to get in to another argument lol.

but before spending the time on that (if temps are good) run a stress test. See if you hear it. Then relaunch that game and turn on (temporarily) V-Sync. See if V-Sync caused the sound to go away. If so it is 100% GPU. 

18 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Agree with you there 100%. Didn't mean to argue but like I said I go step by step and I'd rather listen to OP as he's the owner of the system and I believe he knows a lot more about it. Step by step is a way to go, just eliminating things that could be wrong. I mean he delidded his CPU he is not a beginner when it comes to this either, he's just asking for tips and confirmation.

I blocked him, not gonna argue with keyboard warriors. Gonna be the bigger person here.

EDIT: if you've seen his reply... We're dealing with a special snowflake.

Main PC: