The Official Steam Machine Users Thread

DLM_012

I'm bored at work (supervisor has nothing for me to do) so I thought I'd create this thread.

My hope is that people fill it with good builds/parts list for their dedicated SFF steam machine, share thoughts, etc.

I'll start with a build that I've put together in a few minutes. Attached are some screenshots of parts I plan to buy to build my Steam machine by the end of 2014. It's not too hardcore like my desktop but the goal is to not spend too much while getting a decent amount of performance and taking up little space under my media center downstairs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do you guys already have a steam machine built? If not do you plan to build one? Please discuss. Hopefully this thread stays friendly :)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

If this is supposed to be a gaming machine then why don't you use a 1TB HDD? Get a cheaper cooler. Then you could get something like a R9 270 with an Athlon X4 750K and cheaper RAM.

Motherboard:  MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard  ($29.99 @ Microcenter) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($99.92 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card:  Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card  ($196.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Microcenter) 
Total: $576.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-08 09:52 EST-0500)

If this is supposed to be a gaming machine then why don't you use a 1TB HDD? Get a cheaper cooler. Then you could get something like a HD 7850 with an Athlon X4 750K and cheaper RAM.

I can't go back from a SSD lol. I just can't... And I just saw a Kingston SSD on sale for $70 on Newegg so I might opt for that. Sure I'll be missing out on tons more storage but the performance benefit is worthwhile to me.

EDIT: That was the cheapest 8GB 1866Mhz RAM I could find on Newegg that had low profile heatsinks.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

I can't go back from a SSD lol. I just can't... And I just saw a Kingston SSD on sale for $70 on Newegg so I might opt for that. Sure I'll be missing out on tons more storage but the performance benefit is worthwhile to me. EDIT: That was the cheapest 8GB 1866Mhz RAM I could find on Newegg that had low profile heatsinks.

I've edited my post that is build I would suggest.

I've hot a mate who is upgrading his PC from his current parts which were kindly donated by me from my left over parts. So I'm getting a q8400, ga-ep43t-usb3, 420w power supply, and 550 ti back.

I have a spare coolermaster 430, a 212 evo I got off a mate who sold his entire rig in individual parts but couldn't get rid of that so he just gave it to me :) and 2 fractal silent case fans for the 430, which the 212 dude also gave me as he was using it to cool it.

Luckily I upgraded the stock 212+ fan in my build to a scyth gt and now have the stock one to put on my evo.

Ive got a spare 320gb laptop drive in my desktop which I'll take out because it was only in there for stream os anyway.

Which leaves only ram left. I've got a functioning 2gb stick, I might chuck that in there to play some indie games in the time being :)

Might need a new controller and power supply because I have a spare 560 ti in my cupboard because I just upgraded to a 270x. Pretty good upgrade too!

Should be a perfectly capable rig, beside the ram :D

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I've edited my post that is build I would suggest.

Is that 270 relatively quiet?

I have one in a topic I made here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90685-the-stream-box/ It is a very cheap and small low powered computer to go in the lounge and take advantage of the ability to stream games from a more powerful windows machine. It's called the Stream Box.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

I have one in a topic I made here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90685-the-stream-box/ It is a very cheap and small low powered computer to go in the lounge and take advantage of the ability to stream games from a more powerful windows machine. It's called the Stream Box.

I keep forgetting that Steam OS will have the functionality to stream games

I've hot a mate who is upgrading his PC from his current parts which were kindly donated by me from my left over parts. So I'm getting a q8400, ga-ep43t-usb3, 420w power supply, and 550 ti back.I have a spare coolermaster 430, a 212 evo I got off a mate who sold his entire rig in individual parts but couldn't get rid of that so he just gave it to me :) and 2 fractal silent case fans for the 430, which the 212 dude also gave me as he was using it to cool it. Luckily I upgraded the stock 212+ fan in my build to a scyth gt and now have the stock one to put on my evo. Ive got a spare 320gb laptop drive in my desktop which I'll take out because it was only in there for stream os anyway.Which leaves only ram left. I've got a functioning 2gb stick, I might chuck that in there to play some indie games in the time being :)Might need a new controller and power supply because I have a spare 560 ti in my cupboard because I just upgraded to a 270x. Pretty good upgrade too! Should be a perfectly capable rig, beside the ram :D
That's definitely a capable machine. I wish I had spare parts laying around like that but I quickly turn everything back into cash that I'm not using for extended periods of time. I should have kept my 128GB SSDs instead of selling them along with my 6850. Oh well...
It's an Asus card they are deadly silent.
Cool I'm beginning to like that build better. I still really want that new Corsair case and FM2+ motherboard though lol. I'm thinking of using all the suggested parts except the mobo, case, PSU (I want the modular version) and HDD