The Stream Box

mopman94

This is a copy and paste of a post I made on another forum with regards to the Steam Box, thought I would put it here to get your opinions on this build and whether the streaming on Steam OS would work like this.

The thing I am interested in is the ability to stream with Steam OS from a more powerful computer. If it works as I imagine It would be cool to build a cheap low powered box for the lounge and just stream your games to it.

Something like this:

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.aspx?id=7f123233c17d4a4a89417eaad3d03aa0

f5fb7a7faea20123e8b4f6b95f203d16.png

For people who already have a beastly PC but want something for the lounge. Its £300 (£49 cheaper than the PS3 and £130 cheaper than the Xbox One). As all of the processing would be done by your other computer you only need a dual core, I've still chosen a good one though and its an APU rather than a CPU so we remove the need for a graphics card. I went with 4GB RAM, I see no reason to ever need more if you are just streaming games. I chose a small case, as its going into the lounge you only want a small one. You can buy very small ones like the ones the Steam Boxes come in but they are pricy, the one I chose is £50. We won't be needing much storage as our games will be stored on our other computer so rather than pay £60 for a 1TB HDD I have chosen a 128GB SSD for the same price.

Providing the streaming service works as I imagine it does in my head this build will let you play your AAA titles from your sofa (if you can put up with the miliseconds of input lag you will get - so this would be more suited to singleplayer games) but this build is powerful enough to play legacy games like the Half Life series and it could play a lot of Indie games.

So what do I call this? I have gracefully named it... the STREAM BOX

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W ||