Building New computer and need some input.

OniDirx

So my current computer is ok, but need to update it for my current needs.

Here is my current build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($612.89 @ Amazon Australia) 
Memory: Crucial - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($145.54 @ Amazon Australia) 
Memory: Crucial - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($145.54 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Crucial - M500 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Dual Series Video Card  ($629.00 @ Scorptec) 
Total: $1532.97
PC Part Picker didn't have my PSU or Motherboard. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H, and my PSU is a ThermalTake LT-700AL2NL (700W). Also have a HDD, but can't remember what it is.

The main usage is Streaming, Video editing, Photoshop, and Gaming (Overwatch, DeadByDaylight, For example)

I was looking at upgrading to:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($490.00 @ Mighty Ape) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B360-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($199.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.00 @ BudgetPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($238.95 @ Shopping Express) 
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 3 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($119.00 @ Umart) 

Could I harvest the RAM from my old computer? If I wanted to get more RAM later on, does it have to be the same? Either way, suggestions on what to look for when it comes to ram would be great.

If possible, I would like to harvest as much from my current computer to save some money.

I was thinking of maybe getting an Optane, but don't know if it would be overkill or a waste of money. I also have Capture card that I want to use, but I assume the Motherboard I've picked would support it.

Your new motherboard choice uses DDR4 and the Gigabyte one uses DDR3, so you will not be able to recycle your RAM.

Edit. @OniDirx

You could change your motherboard to one with NVMe support ...

Gigabyte - GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard from Amazon.com.au $218.00

... and then you do not need a CPU with integrated graphics and you could buy a Xeon for less or nearly the same amount ...

Intel - Xeon E3-1220 V6 3 GHz (turbo's to 3.5 GHz) Quad-Core Processor from BudgetPC $309.00

OR

Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V6 3.5 (turbo's to 3.9 GHz) GHz Quad-Core Processor from BudgetPC $399.00

So now that you have saved some money do not buy the 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive for $238.95 instead ...

Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 (M key) Solid State Drive from ShoppingExpress.com.au $289.00

... and instead of the NAS drive which cost more and you will wear out (due to that slow RPM speed) you could spend the extra money on a ...

Seagate FireCuda 2 TB Hybrid hard drive - internal SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Silver, Black ST2000DX002 Scorptec.com.au $161.00 (delivered).

So then you can have that faster access speed, but, if you need a bigger HDD just be patient as the price/GB, is going down, not up.

Edited by SydneySideSteveSomewheres
Links

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Might I make a suggestion regarding your storage options, scrap the 860 EVO 1TB and the IronWolf 3TB.

Your motherboard supports Optane, so buy a 16GB or 32GB optane M.2 and then buy a https://www.ple.com.au/Products/631213/WD-Black-WD4005FZBX-35-4TB-256MB-7200RPM-Desktop-HDD using your Optane M.2 to provide SSD-Like speeds for your standard HDD

You'll still have 4TB of total storage (not including boot drive) and be saving $100 or more. That's just my 2c. Also, I don't know if the 8700 comes with a boxed cooler, if not this is something else you'll need to factor into your budget.

6 hours ago, cartdog said:

Your motherboard supports Optane, so buy a 16GB or 32GB optane M.2 and then buy a https://www.ple.com.au/Products/631213/WD-Black-WD4005FZBX-35-4TB-256MB-7200RPM-Desktop-HDD using your Optane M.2 to provide SSD-Like speeds for your standard HDD

Meh, a real ssd is still way better

6 hours ago, cartdog said:

Also, I don't know if the 8700 comes with a boxed cooler, if not this is something else you'll need to factor into your budget.

It does come with the cooler intel has had for a long time. Only k and x chip don't have a cooler in the box

18 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Your new motherboard choice uses DDR4 and the Gigabyte one uses DDR3, so you will not be able to recycle your RAM.

Edit. @OniDirx

You could change your motherboard to one with NVMe support ...

Gigabyte - GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard from Amazon.com.au $218.00

... and then you do not need a CPU with integrated graphics and you could buy a Xeon for less or nearly the same amount ...

Intel - Xeon E3-1220 V6 3 GHz (turbo's to 3.5 GHz) Quad-Core Processor from BudgetPC $309.00

OR

Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V6 3.5 (turbo's to 3.9 GHz) GHz Quad-Core Processor from BudgetPC $399.00

So now that you have saved some money do not buy the 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive for $238.95 instead ...

Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 (M key) Solid State Drive from ShoppingExpress.com.au $289.00

... and instead of the NAS drive which cost more and you will wear out (due to that slow RPM speed) you could spend the extra money on a ...

Seagate FireCuda 2 TB Hybrid hard drive - internal SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Silver, Black ST2000DX002 Scorptec.com.au $161.00 (delivered).

So then you can have that faster access speed, but, if you need a bigger HDD just be patient as the price/GB, is going down, not up.

I'm not 100% into CPUs other than Intel's "Normal" cpus (i7, i9 etc), and AMD's CPUs. Could you explain why a Xeon would be better, other then it being cheaper?

I also had a look at the motherboard, I picked the ROG Strix as a replacement because of the 2 m.2, and the onboard Optical Audio port... Unless I'm silly and that isn't one lol

I have a sound card that is used for my audio. But I was hoping to retire it.

I'm not good with what to look for with HardDrives, or SSDs. for my Storage I was wanting the m.2 SSD as pure boot, a Drive for games, and then a big Drive for files and the like. Is there a viable solution?

18 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Would the build you suggest bet better than an Intel-based system? for both Gaming and Video editing?

18 hours ago, cartdog said:

Might I make a suggestion regarding your storage options, scrap the 860 EVO 1TB and the IronWolf 3TB.

You'll still have 4TB of total storage (not including boot drive) and be saving $100 or more. That's just my 2c. Also, I don't know if the 8700 comes with a boxed cooler, if not this is something else you'll need to factor into your budget.

I welcome any suggestion.

That was my goal with my storage, having an Optane to give a SSD-Like Hard drive. 

I rarely upgrade my system, and don't keep up to date with every new bit of tech until it's time for an Update... hence this post ^_^

Things like Cooler were going to be a side thought. Keep it in the back of mind while sorting out the other things. same with a case.

Buying computer parts for me is a little daunting, and I always 2nd guess myself, always asking, is this a good part? is this brand/model good?

so thanks for the input, please keep them coming.

3 minutes ago, OniDirx said:

That was my goal with my storage, having an Optane to give a SSD-Like Hard drive. 

I rarely upgrade my system, and don't keep up to date with every new bit of tech until it's time for an Update... hence this post ^_^

Things like Cooler were going to be a side thought. Keep it in the back of mind while sorting out the other things. same with a case.

Buying computer parts for me is a little daunting, and I always 2nd guess myself, always asking, is this a good part? is this brand/model good?

Online reviewers are your friend, Linus, Guru3d..these guys offer solid and reliable advice on the hardware you need for the tasks you need it for. Take your time doing your research...better to spend an extra few weeks making sure you get the right parts. Opinions of individuals on here are beneficial but ultimately you'll only know for sure by reading up on your part selection.

Good luck, don't rush (believe me, I know how exciting it is to get those shiny new PC parts), read reviews and look at the details. ?

1 hour ago, OniDirx said:

Would the build you suggest bet better than an Intel-based system? for both Gaming and Video editing?

Yes. Becouse intel with the shortage is way too expensive

8 hours ago, OniDirx said:

I'm not 100% into CPUs other than Intel's "Normal" cpus (i7, i9 etc), and AMD's CPUs. Could you explain why a Xeon would be better, other then it being cheaper?

I also had a look at the motherboard, I picked the ROG Strix as a replacement because of the 2 m.2, and the onboard Optical Audio port... Unless I'm silly and that isn't one lol

I have a sound card that is used for my audio. But I was hoping to retire it.

I'm not good with what to look for with HardDrives, or SSDs. for my Storage I was wanting the m.2 SSD as pure boot, a Drive for games, and then a big Drive for files and the like. Is there a viable solution? 

The Intel i7 8700 has integrated graphics, so the processor is designed to deliver a six core 12 thread viewing experience ‘gift’ to the end user that is fairly stable. The 12 MB Cache, 41.6 GB/s memory bandwidth does so in true 60Hz, 4096x2304 resolution using burst frequency, a term that is familiar with mobile phones and tablets. Embedded DisplayPort technology is part and parcel of laptops because they do not have space in the ‘thin-and-light’ design model to install a proper graphics processor.

So why put an integrated processor the ‘UHD Graphics 630’ into a desktop machine when you have the space (minus the case ATM lol)?

The difference that I have noticed apart from this is that the Xeon uses ‘Speed Shift’ to allow it to more smoothly move the CPU from its lowest idle state to full utilisation in the shortest amount of time, which is slightly different from turbo boost (as the turbo frequency has a lag).

Intel_Architecture_Deep_Dive_Speed_Shift.png.722a27766bb8c4c60db78d0a7b5d1584.png

As for the audio question my GA X99, SOC Force has a Realtek HD Audio Manager I would assume that the GA-X150-PLUS WS one does also (see the link for the ASUS skinned one).

620261413_RealtekHDAudioManger.png.840a8b8da50b0c2d41b2b7a576d0c736.png

The AMD system compared to your first Intel-based system configuration will be superior at video editing. However, both the Intel i7 and the Xeon should outperform the Ryzen in gaming applications. And the Xeon E3-1230 V6 is as good or better at multi-thread applications such as video editing/steaming. But I do wonder what the i7 8700 will be like without some of that processing power that is latent because it was explicitly designed to implement an integrated GPU (APU) even though it turbos over the 3.90 GHz of the Xeon.

Intel_Architecture.png.06c9bb28f81ef00edf76c2f43e573188.png

You were correct the ROG STRIX B360-F GAMING you chose does have an M.2 NVMe slot, however, it is an M keyed one, not a B+M keyed one.

PC Partpicker shows that the B+M keyed one is compatible, but I could not understand why the specifications for the motherboard say all the ‘Expansion Slots’ offer both PCIe 3.0 and 2.0. Even more confusing is the ‘Storage’ options where it says there is one “M.2 Socket 3, with M Key ... support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)*4” but SATA III is 6GB/s which would bottleneck the NVMe storage (for example, Samsung 960 Evo 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 #MZ-V6E1T0BW. Speeds up to 3,200MB/s, Up to 1,900MB/s). Even more perplexing is the fine print at the bottom of the page “*4 The M.2_1 socket shares bandwidth with SATA6G_2 port when using M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use X2 mode (PCIE only). The M.2_1 socket shares bandwidth with PCIEX1_4” which makes it seem that the PCIe 3.0 x 4 mode is only a theoretical speed for the SSD!

1351772779_M.2SSDSockets.png.0c9e4a959c37f88039f6afdb63063e8c.png

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/3xZtsZ

Price breakdown by merchant: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/3xZtsZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V6 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($399.00 @ BudgetPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($218.00 @ Amazon Australia)

Memory: Kingston - ValueRAM 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($209.00 @ Mwave Australia)

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($289.00 @ Centre Com)

Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($133.00 @ Shopping Express)

Storage: Toshiba - P300 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) -you have a drive so this is a place marker-

Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Dual Series Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) -you have a GPU so this is a place marker-

Power Supply: Thermaltake - TR2 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) -you have a PSU so this is a place marker-

Total: $1248.00

Links

APU vs CPU vs GPU. Which One is Best for Gaming?

No Realtek HD Sound Manager in Windows 10? Here's How to Get It.

Compare Intel Products

Intel Corporation images

Check how many PCIe lanes you have available!

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of PSU would be good to get? is a 700w one good enough?

On 11/24/2018 at 3:33 PM, OniDirx said:

What kind of PSU would be good to get? is a 700w one good enough?

You already have the ThermalTake LT-700AL2NL (700W). It is not new, but the computer will boot with it. Just use the PC-Partpicker as a guide to the needed power usage per installed components and leave some overhead.

PC-Partpicker_Wattage_estimate.png.448de4dda7552755c099fbf5cf2f7691.png

Usually, a good quality PSU 500W or bigger should be considered if you are running multiple fans with RGB and more than one HDD.

PC-Partpicker_Wattage_estimate_after.png.0203fac87b6d8a7d4788e9d1d5b9f6de.png

For example, the PC-Partpicker estimate does not include these components; Thermaltake - Commander FT Fan Controller, Sennheiser - CC550 Headset, Razer - DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse, Corsair - STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard. Also, the more significant the overhead in PSU means that it has to work less, putting less stress on the internal components like the capacitors, this is a bit like over-provisioning which occurs in data storage.

Link:

Why High Wattage Power Supplies Are Stupid

PC-Partpicker parts list: Edited

On 12/2/2018 at 1:38 PM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

You already have the ThermalTake LT-700AL2NL (700W). It is not new, but the computer will boot with it. Just use the PC-Partpicker as a guide to the needed power usage per installed components and leave some overhead.

PC-Partpicker_Wattage_estimate.png.448de4dda7552755c099fbf5cf2f7691.png

Usually, a good quality PSU 500W or bigger should be considered if you are running multiple fans with RGB and more than one HDD.

PC-Partpicker_Wattage_estimate_after.png.0203fac87b6d8a7d4788e9d1d5b9f6de.png

For example, the PC-Partpicker estimate does not include these components; Thermaltake - Commander FT Fan Controller, Sennheiser - CC550 Headset, Razer - DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse, Corsair - STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard. Also, the more significant the overhead in PSU means that it has to work less, putting less stress on the internal components like the capacitors, this is a bit like over-provisioning which occurs in data storage.

Link:

Why High Wattage Power Supplies Are Stupid

PC-Partpicker parts list: Edited

Awesome. Thank you for the help ^_^

22 hours ago, OniDirx said:

Awesome. Thank you for the help ^_^

You’re welcome, glad to be of some assistance. ?