High specs, high benches, bad fps, what gives?

tprox

Hey everyone,

I've got a bit of a mystery on my hands my PC specs are as follows:

1080ti, Ryzen 7 2700x, 16gb DDR4 @3ghz, Samsung 970 evo M.2, Asrock Taichi x370 mobo, 3440x1440 G-Sync monitor

It benches at 135% in all categories on userbenchmark, 8500+ (80th percentile) on 3DMark Timespy extreme test. All of this and yet my frames are very underwhelming, especially in games like Ring of Elysium and Pubg. My friends are running 7th gen I7's and 1060's at normal 1440p with the same settings and getting much better frames then I am. Another oddity is that neither my CPU nor my GPU ever reach 100% usage in these games and I'm running reasonable temperatures on both.

Willing to try most anything at this point if folks have ideas, could something else be bottlenecking my system?

Is your ram dual channel?

2 minutes ago, tprox said:

7th gen I7's and 1060's at normal 1440p

7th gen is better than Ryzen

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

- Do you have some sort of frame limiter turned on?

- Is your PC's power plan set to high performance?

- Is your RAM running in dual channel?

- Are you sure your friends are getting a better gaming experience than you, maybe they're just running the game at a lower resolution?

- What are CPU/GPU temps under full load?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

@fasauceome

Thanks for the response, yes the RAM is dual channel, and yes I know some of the 7th gen I7's are quicker then the 2700x but my point was that they are comparable and the rest of my system is superior specwise.

Edited by tprox
Adding tag for reponse

2 minutes ago, tprox said:

-snip-

You have to quote people if you want them to see your message(s). The quote button is the arrow figure (that looks like a reply symbol) at the bottom of people's posts.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

4 minutes ago, tprox said:

Thanks for the response, yes the RAM is dual channel, and yes I know some of the 7th gen I7's are quicker then the 2700x but my point was that they are comparable and the rest of my system is superior specwise.

V-sync? What games and frame rates are you actually playing/getting?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

@r2724r16

- I've tried with and without G-Sync on and globally I have V-Sync turned off. The FPS isn't acting like it's limited it's floating around mid range numbers with large drops

- Yes it's set to high performance

- The ram is dual channel and is running that way

- I am playing on a wider aspect ratio then they are but I've tried down to 1980x1080 and especially in Ring of Elysium the frames are much worse then theirs

- I don't have those two numbers on me but if memory serves they were both around 65c under gaming load. I haven't tested a synthetic load yet though maybe that's something I should try tonight.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

V-sync? What games and frame rates are you actually playing/getting?

V-sync disabled, in PUBG on 3440x1440 I get around 60-70 with drops to 50. In Ring of Elysium I get 40-60 with drops to 30

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

You have to quote people if you want them to see your message(s). The quote button is the arrow figure (that looks like a reply symbol) at the bottom of people's posts.

I see, thanks for the tip!

3 minutes ago, tprox said:

V-sync disabled, in PUBG on 3440x1440 I get around 60-70 with drops to 50. In Ring of Elysium I get 40-60 with drops to 30

That framerate seems normal for your resolution and graphics card (at least in PUBG): 

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

That framerate seems normal for your resolution and graphics card (at least in PUBG)

That video in the context of PUBG is quite old, there's been a lot of optimization since then. The only reason I'm concerned is because of multiple friends performance being significantly better then mine. The bigger delta is definitely in Ring of Elysium, which makes me wonder if they just have an issue with the zen architecture or something.

22 hours ago, tprox said:

All of this and yet my frames are very underwhelming, especially in games like Ring of Elysium and Pubg.

How long have you had this PC?

My friends are running 7th gen I7's and 1060's at normal 1440p with the same settings and getting much better frames then I am.

Is this what they tell you or do you witness this with your own eyes?

Another oddity is that neither my CPU nor my GPU ever reach 100% usage in these games and I'm running reasonable temperatures on both.

I see that your PC's power plan is set to high performance. This is good. However, in the global settings of your Nvidia control panel, is your power management mode set to Prefer maximum performance?

As for fps drops in open world games, especially PUBG, this is completely normal. Just how open world games are. A benchmark will show this when the benchmark itself drops fps in certain areas of the benchmark.

2 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

How long have you had this PC?

Some pieces are about 4 years old (case, 1000w PSU) the rest is a year old or less

Is this what they tell you or do you witness this with your own eyes?

I'll ask them periodically about their frames when we are in the same area. But, no I haven't seen it in person.

I see that your PC's power plan is set to high performance. This is good. However, in the global settings of your Nvidia control panel, is your power management mode set to Prefer maximum performance?

I'm about 95% that my global setting is to prefer max perf but I'll definitely check that when I get home

As for fps drops in open world games, especially PUBG, this is completely normal. Just how open world games are. A benchmark will show this when the benchmark itself drops fps in certain areas of the benchmark.

True, it is a much bigger problem in Ring of Elysium then Pubg, I guess I'll just have to hope for better optimization.

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, tprox said:

Some pieces are about 4 years old (case, 1000w PSU) the rest is a year old or less

So you've owned this PC and gamed on it for 4+ years right?

1 hour ago, tprox said:

it is a much bigger problem in Ring of Elysium then Pubg

Ring of Elysium System Requirements (Minimum)

• CPU: Intel Core i3 2.4 GHz or better
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTS 250 1 GB or better
  • DEDICATED VRAM: 1 GB

Ring of Elysium Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i5 2.4 GHz or better
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB or better
  • DEDICATED VRAM: 2 GB

Only a 2.4 GHz i5 and a 2GB GTX 750 Ti is recommended for Ring of Elysium. And it's also in early access. Both of these things explain why your GPU and CPU are not being used to their fullest usage. Your 1080 Ti and Ryzen 7 are basically overkill for Ring of Elysium.

PUBG has similar results...

PUBG System Requirements (Minimum)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 / AMD FX-6300

RAM: 8 GB

VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB / AMD Radeon R7 370 2GB

DEDICATED VRAM: 2 GB

PUBG Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K / AMD Ryzen 5 1600

RAM: 16 GB

VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB / AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB

DEDICATED VRAM: 3 GB (4 GB AMD)

An i5 and a GTX 1060 3GB is recommended for PUBG. Your Ryzen 7 and 1080 Ti may not be overkill in PUBG but it's definitely more than you need. Any type of fps drops in PUBG is beyond normal. It's not exactly greatly optimized. These fps drops you are experiencing in both these games are most likely experienced by the majority of gamers playing the game in general.

If your friends are getting better fps than you with lower quality hardware, maybe they are gaming in 1080p or maybe they have optimized their PC a little more to gaming than you have. This is just a guess though, I could of course be mistaken. I'd ask your friends what resolution they are gaming in and if they remember doing any little things to optimize their PC towards gaming that maybe you have not done.

Things like disabling certain unnecessary things in Windows(especially in new Windows 10 updates) or disabling background processes in general. Disabling in-game overlays. Etc, etc. I mean I know you have a Ryzen 7 but little things like these can hinder performance to a certain degree. Especially games in early access.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:03 AM, tprox said:

and Pubg

Probably an optimisation issue with Ryzen CPUs. A buddy of mine runs a R5 1600x and also gets way less frames than me in many older or less optimized games despite running the same gpu (GTX 1070 each). I run an oc'd 4770k. 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone was following this topic I did finally find the fix. When I got the new CPU I also got a new SSD cloned my old boot SSD onto the new one. Long story short I read that a fresh Windows install can be important when installing a Ryzen CPU so I did a clean install and my performance has jumped 50-100% across the board.