Seagate Barracuda randomly spinning up

Goliath_1911

Hi guys , about 3 month ago my old HDD died, it was not my main , it is secondary storage, i have a SSD for windows 10

I got this 1Tb 7200 rpm HDD to replace the old one and i noticed it starts to spin up randomly when the PC is idle 

I would leave my pc to go to sleep , and sometimes it just spins up randomly for atleast 30 mins ( i put the time for it to spin down after 10 mins of no usage)

i even barely use it , i store on it stuff that i don`t use alot and games that i barely play 

i have steam library on it , but i tried closing steam and leaving it idle , still same result.

Also sometimes it spins up when i open Chrome...idk why 

It doesnt just happen at night, i just returned home and  found it running 

It is really annoying especially that my pc doesnt make any sound , even underload, only the HDD ruins the silence .

Anyone knows how to solve this issue?? i checked resmon and task manager , it shows no HDD activity (sometimes in 1 or 2 Kb/s)

My pc is a bit old , 7 years , 3rd gen i5 , ddr3 etc etc...could it be because of how old it is?

either way am upgrading next year in april, should i add in a extra ssd and ditch that HDD???

Edited by Goliath_1911
hdd slows down after 10 , not 20 mins**

If you want to silence your rig you can check if your motherboard supports hotplug. SATA is designed with hotplug in mind so the drive is definitely ready but the mainboard has to support it. That way you could get a front panel or other sort of switch to definitely and completely turn it off.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

windows 10? may as well be defender trying to scan it.

I thought so too, the last scan it did was 2 days ago Tho , and  i dont think defender is going to scan it every couple of hours per day 

11 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

If you want to silence your rig you can check if your motherboard supports hotplug. SATA is designed with hotplug in mind so the drive is definitely ready but the mainboard has to support it. That way you could get a front panel or other sort of switch to definitely and completely turn it off.

I tried Hotplugging a couple of years ago , doesnt work on my board

i think on my next rig i will look for some sort of external usb mount to plug it in when i want to use it 

Tho was wondering if there is a software workaround for it :/

6 minutes ago, Goliath_1911 said:

the last scan it did was 2 days ago

blatant lie.. you'd be amazed the amount of background sniffing defender does without telling you.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

blatant lie.. you'd be amazed the amount of background sniffing defender does without telling you.

lol 

but how can i know if it is the one causing the problem??? as i said resmon shows no activity