Fastest way to transfer files via USB

I am using an iMac (2013) with a windows partition (I had a mac and no money for a desktop at the time so I just went with bootcamp). Anyways, This coming early 2019 I would be finally build a proper desktop, however I have several important files that I'd want to transfer to the new desktop (keep in mind it is in a partition so I can't just place the HDD in the new tower;also it's a mac).

Basically I have around 400 GB of file I want to transfer, mainly photos, videos, and my steam library. I do have USB 3.0 and thunderbolt and I want to transfer my files as quickly as possible after all I wouldn't want to wait hours to transfer to the external hdd and then to the new pc.

TL:DR

I have around 400 GB of files I need to transfer to a new system and I only have USB 3.0 and thunderbolt as my ports. I am willing to buy the external HDD or SSD (I do know that external ssd are much more expensive).

Though to be honest I don't mind waiting half an hour at the very maximum. But I'd like to have your inputs since I would be shelling out money to get an external ssd/hdd anyway and I am very much new to the subject.

Thanks for your time.

When I needed to do this (80GB), I plugged both drives to my desktop and transferred the files through SATA.

If you can't do that, maybe use a network share? I don't really know. 

I think an external USB drive is a good option.

I would say a network share via ethernet, faster and usb can't transfer from pc to pc. not sure how to do that cross platform tho

or are the files on the windows partition?

1 hour ago, vascobrissos14 said:

I think an external USB drive is a good option.

What external hdd should I look for? as long as it's also usb 3.0 would I be able to take advantage of its faster bandwith? Relatively speaking.

48 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I would say a network share via ethernet, faster and usb can't transfer from pc to pc. not sure how to do that cross platform tho

or are the files on the windows partition?

The files are on a windows partition, basically the same as any other pc except I can't just remove the HDD. I'm buying an external drive regardless, would getting an external ssd make sense? (they do come with a type-c to type A adapter) or would it be incompatible and I'm just better off getting an external hdd instead for better price per GB?

Just now, Reiidar said:

What external hdd should I look for? as long as it's also usb 3.0 would I be able to take advantage of its faster bandwith? Relatively speaking.

The files are on a windows partition, basically the same as any other pc except I can't just remove the HDD. I'm buying an external drive regardless, would getting an external ssd make sense? (they do come with a type-c to type A adapter) or would it be incompatible and I'm just better off getting an external hdd instead for better price per GB?

it depends on the speed you want/need. it's just like deciding to get a ssd or hdd for your files on a normal system.

you could just use your router or even a cable between the pc and the macbook. share the drive on the macbook and just copy paste as you would on a usb drive. the only thing you can get bottlenecked by is the speed of your switch, or the speed of your harddrive. I've done it many times and it still works as the best way for me

20 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

it depends on the speed you want/need. it's just like deciding to get a ssd or hdd for your files on a normal system.

you could just use your router or even a cable between the pc and the macbook. share the drive on the macbook and just copy paste as you would on a usb drive. the only thing you can get bottlenecked by is the speed of your switch, or the speed of your harddrive. I've done it many times and it still works as the best way for me

Using a lan cable between the two sounds like the best solution to avoid spending on an external hdd since I do want to have more money on better components. Does my internet speed matter here (my speed is really slow and fiber internet is still being installed in the area) or does the file transfer happen locally? 

1 hour ago, Reiidar said:

Using a lan cable between the two sounds like the best solution to avoid spending on an external hdd since I do want to have more money on better components. Does my internet speed matter here (my speed is really slow and fiber internet is still being installed in the area) or does the file transfer happen locally? 

It happens locally, it depends on your switches and cable