Get an iPhone as a side device?

Yayap7

I need help.  Help either convincing me to get an iPhone 6s/SE as a side device or help being convinced I really don't.

I have a Pixel 2XL on Project Fi since Last year and I really enjoy it.  I've had iPhones since 2010 but the buggy release finally got me to move to Android and I am very happy and glad.   It does just all about the iPhone does and more.  I don't like iOS for the most part but version 12 seems to be much more solid.

And yet for some reason I am wanting to get an iphone for side stuff. I don't want to have a SIM in it so I'm not going to use it as a phone but for ios apps and facetime with family and whatnot.  What do y'all think?

I really don't need it but it could serve helpful here and there..  

Should I try to get a SE or 6s or not?   If I do end up doing so, what are good ways to get an older iPhone in good(trusted) condition in Japan?  -I'm in Japan for the next 8 months.

Thanks!  

--Desktop--                                                                 

Vanya                                                              

MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI

AMD Ryzen 5600X

Radeon RX 6600TX

G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600Mhz  16 x 2

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

What is a "side device" ?

A device on the side; like a tasty snack.  iOS isn't much of a pleasing snack anymore though..

But yeah,  like, a device that has a 3.5mm audio jack, access to ios apps, more multi-tasking like playing Runescape while still watching or doing something..something that I can easily hand over to someone else without worrying that the won't rummage around or just a device that most people I know actually know how to use. (ios being simple)..

Again, I don't need it but I can find uses for it.    I really just need someone to convince me to not get an iPhone SE or whatnot.

--Desktop--                                                                 

Vanya                                                              

MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI

AMD Ryzen 5600X

Radeon RX 6600TX

G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600Mhz  16 x 2

If your an average consumer, you don't need more than one phone. iOS features like Facetime can be convenient to have, but Facetime isn't the only video calling app on iOS. I personally don't think you should get a side device of any kind, and find another option.

There are apps that are on both Android and iOS which can be used cross-platform like Facebook Messenger.

I recommend either sticking with Android, or switching to iOS entirely. I don't think having both is a realistic option, whether you can afford it or not. The only kind of people I know that own multiple phones are Tech Reviewers. It's their job to review multiple phones, so it makes sense for them, but not for average consumers.

I recommend not getting a side device and sticking with your current phone. If you really want to have a side device, I recommend getting something that isn't a phone, like a tablet.

-Kevin-

People with two cell phones are usually doing something illegitimate, I guess for the hardcore person gamer who just can not log off and doesn't really want to log off, and has the money to spend, then they can do whatever they want I guess. I would say just carry around one cell phone, that is enough for everyone!

8 hours ago, Canada EH said:

People with two cell phones are usually doing something illegitimate...

Not necessarily. Many people have one cell phone for personal use and another one just for business use. Technically, I have two cell "phones". One is the dumb as rocks flip phone I carry around with me for emergency use (and it stays turned off until I'm going to actually use it). The other is a home connect type that I have all my home cordless phones connected to. I find it far more convenient to have phones scattered throughout the house instead of having to run (ok, at my age and weight, it's waddle fast) to a solitary cell phone.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 11/12/2018 at 5:24 AM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Not necessarily

I know what you mean but

tell that to airport customs

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

I know what you mean but

tell that to airport customs

Just because airport customs may be absurdly paranoid doesn't mean that people don't have perfectly legitimate reasons for having two phones.

Another reason many people may have two phones is they may use one with a cheaper plan for use in heavily populated areas where that plan gets decent coverage and another one with a more expensive plan (usually a prepaid plan) for emergency use in areas where the cheaper plan doesn't get decent or any coverage. This practice is common with many RVers.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I never seen a two sim slot phone before, two different #'s!

Be better then lugging around two cell phones, too much bulk in the jean pocket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 4:10 PM, Yayap7 said:

I need help.  Help either convincing me to get an iPhone 6s/SE as a side device or help being convinced I really don't.

I have a Pixel 2XL on Project Fi since Last year and I really enjoy it.  I've had iPhones since 2010 but the buggy release finally got me to move to Android and I am very happy and glad.   It does just all about the iPhone does and more.  I don't like iOS for the most part but version 12 seems to be much more solid.

And yet for some reason I am wanting to get an iphone for side stuff. I don't want to have a SIM in it so I'm not going to use it as a phone but for ios apps and facetime with family and whatnot.  What do y'all think?

I really don't need it but it could serve helpful here and there..  

Should I try to get a SE or 6s or not?   If I do end up doing so, what are good ways to get an older iPhone in good(trusted) condition in Japan?  -I'm in Japan for the next 8 months.

Thanks!  

Definitely not discouraging you to get an iPhone as a secondary phone, coz I got one myself. Just wanted to give you a heads up though on the newest scam on the touch ID, which your iPhone options (6s & SE) both have. I got an iPhone 7 soo this news alarmed me too. I've read from an article how some scammers got their way into the touch ID authentication thru the in-app purchases. Since Touch ID is too efficient when it comes to quickness, there isn't time for another confirmation after you put your finger onto your home screen button. Somehow, scammers cleverly found the way to use this for the in-app purchases that will later on just shock you when it's time to pay the bill.

I love my iPhone 7. I use FaceTime a lot and iMessage is really cool. Secondary device aside, it’s really hard to be disappointed with an iPhone (unless you get an outdated model that can’t run most apps). That said, the screen on the iPhone SE and earlier models is too damn small! Texting is a chore on these tiny things.