in-home game streaming, looking for suggestions

bololabich

I'd like to stream my PC's display onto either my cell phone (Mi Note 2, supports WiFi n and ac) or PS Vita (via unofficial nvidia streaming app), either one I pick, I think using XO or other gamepad connected directly to my PC should work best.

As going with Vita would require me to swap my Radeon with Nvidia and I could not find any holder deep enough to mount it onto a controller, I'll try going with my cell phone first.

I can stream my screen with either Microsoft RD service, or the new Steam Link app - which one is better?

Connecting through my b/g/n 100Mbit router, connected to 1Gbit switch, then to my PC, made it work too laggy, I still have one a/b/g/n router I could try but I thought that perhaps buying a PCI-E to mPCI-E/m2 adapter and using a notebook card would work better?

If it's a good idea then which models would you recommend, is  high-end Intel 9260NGW worth buying or something cheap would do as well? Would 5GHz ac hotspot even work on Windows 10?

12 minutes ago, bololabich said:

I'd like to stream my PC's display onto either my cell phone (Mi Note 2, supports WiFi n and ac) or PS Vita (via unofficial nvidia streaming app), either one I pick, I think using XO or other gamepad connected directly to my PC should work best.

As going with Vita would require me to swap my Radeon with Nvidia and I could not find any holder deep enough to mount it onto a controller, I'll try going with my cell phone first.

I can stream my screen with either Microsoft RD service, or the new Steam Link app - which one is better?

Connecting through my b/g/n 100Mbit router, connected to 1Gbit switch, then to my PC, made it work too laggy, I still have one a/b/g/n router I could try but I thought that perhaps buying a PCI-E to mPCI-E/m2 adapter and using a notebook card would work better?

If it's a good idea then which models would you recommend, is  high-end Intel 9260NGW worth buying or something cheap would do as well? Would 5GHz ac hotspot even work on Windows 10?

If your intranet Ethernet is 1Gb and your router can do 5GHz AC wifi, your phone with the steam link app would probably be best.

I have a USB 3 AC Wifi adapter on my desktop (because I don't have ethernet in my house and am not in the same room as the router). My tablet has AC 5GHz, which I stream from my PC with on the Steam Link app. To control the game, I use one of the newer Bluetooth Xbox controllers connected to my tablet's Bluetooth (because USB OTG crashes Android for some reason).

Edit: the lag could be caused by the switch, you could try removing it and see if it gets better

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

If I remove switch, my devices won't have Gigabit connection with my PC, both routers are regular 100Mbit and no AC, just A.

But yeah I thought about it as well that having switch has to add some lag as every device on the route does that's why I thought about directly connecting the PC with the phone.

I have BT version of XO controller as well, but as I won't be far from my PC, I see no point in connecting a controller to the cell phone instead of the PC.

I have just installed steam on my laptop and tested 5Ghz hotspot on my phone and then setting up 2.4Ghz hotspot on my laptop via baidu app, both gave me laggy picture. Perhaps if I manage to find an app allowing to set up 5Ghz hotspot on windows, it would work better.