Weird Email

benji_

Not really sure which sub-forum to put this in so ye

Got this email about 30 mins ago, something just seems off about it. I've never emailed this person and the "to" is to info@gmail.com. Thats not my email so i am very confused. I opened it on my PC but then immediately closed it since I know just opening an email can be bad. I'm probably just being over cautious, considering its no longer 1998 and email viruses aren't what they used to be. Its now 2018 and I use chrome, I should be alright?

Anyone have a clue?

Cheers

garn.png

CPU: i7 4790k 

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce3 GTX 1080

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz (@1333Mhz) + 8GB Balisticx Sport or something 1333MHz

MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

PSU: 1000W EVGA 1000G 80+ GOLD

Case: Dark Base 700

Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler + Standard Case Fans

Drives: Intel SSD5 180GB (Boot Drive) + Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD + Seagate Baracuda 4TB HDD

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow RGB 2013

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB

Speakers: Creative T15 Bluetooth Speakers

Microphone: Samson Meteor Mic

Monitor: AOC G2590VXQ 75Hz + ASUS VS247 + Shitty Generic 1080p 60Hz TV

LED Controller: NZXT HUE+

Probably some spam they send to the info gmail address, but they likely also BCC'ed a ton of people (which is why you don't see others added to this email) hoping to scam someone.. Somehow.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Probably some spam they send to the info gmail address, but they likely also BCC'ed a ton of people (which is why you don't see others added to this email) hoping to scam someone.. Somehow.

BCC'ed?

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz (@1333Mhz) + 8GB Balisticx Sport or something 1333MHz

Drives: Intel SSD5 180GB (Boot Drive) + Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD + Seagate Baracuda 4TB HDD

Just now, benji_ said:

BCC'ed?

Blind carbon copy, you sent people a carbon copy (the exact same email), but you (and the other people who were BCC'ed) can't see the other recipients.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Blind carbon copy, you sent people a carbon copy (the exact same email), but you (and the other people who were BCC'ed) can't see the other recipients.

ah, cheers

Its more fun when the ring you, its easier to waste their time. 

Delete and move on with your emails like it never happened. I get about 30 crap emails a day, it gives me pleasure in blocking every one of them (not really) 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

6 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

Its more fun when the ring you, its easier to waste their time. 

funnily enough i got a call from the london mint today, saying i'd been randomly selected (ofcouse) for a discount on a coin (i collect coins so they must of got my number when i must of bought something from them before. the coins arent even legal tender, just some crappy collectable tokens that are way overpriced)
tried to get me to pay £99 before and after declining 3 times

6 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

Delete and move on with your emails like it never happened. I get about 30 crap emails a day, it gives me pleasure in blocking every one of them (not really) 

normally they all get filtered out into the spam folder, which is why i was curious as to why this didnt

2 minutes ago, benji_ said:

normally they all get filtered out into the spam folder, which is why i was curious as to why this didnt

they're getting inventive, like putting "this is from a trusted sender" or whatever in it to spoof the systems. 

I had a scammer this morning from "BT" who I strung along for an hour. Its an hour im not getting back, but its an hour they're not scamming a grandma 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

14 minutes ago, benji_ said:

Not really sure which sub-forum to put this in so ye

Got this email about 30 mins ago, something just seems off about it. I've never emailed this person and the "to" is to info@gmail.com. Thats not my email so i am very confused. I opened it on my PC but then immediately closed it since I know just opening an email can be bad. I'm probably just being over cautious, considering its no longer 1998 and email viruses aren't what they used to be. Its now 2018 and I use chrome, I should be alright?

Anyone have a clue?

Cheers

garn.png

Theyre not what they used to be. You used to have to click something to get malware. Now you just need to browse normal websites that have exploits in ads to get malware ?

4 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Theyre not what they used to be. You used to have to click something to get malware. Now you just need to browse normal websites that have exploits in ads to get malware ?

Javascript malware and Adobe Flash Player malware ?. When are we going to get rid these two? 

4 hours ago, Minibois said:

Really? I've always thought it was "Back Carbon Copy"...

Dunno why.... I suppose blind makes more sense....