guild wars 2-should i get it now? what are the pros and cons?

linus7

i was thinking about getting guild wars 2 next month or two..... should i get it? the game has a big community? what are pros and cons of the game? 

A couple of my friends played it for a while but stopped fairly quickly (after 1 or 2 weeks). In my opinion that's a pretty bad sign for an MMO, but I have never played it myself so I can't say too much.

With Guild Wars 2, be prepared to play it the way it was intended, and you'll enjoy every moment of it.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/guild-wars-2-a-rare-intrinsic-reward-based-mmo-or-why-loot-is-so-low/

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

With Guild Wars 2, be prepared to play it the way it was intended, and you'll enjoy every moment of it.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/guild-wars-2-a-rare-intrinsic-reward-based-mmo-or-why-loot-is-so-low/

well i dont like grinding for items for 12 hours or lvl up for 2000 hours just for 1 lvl  and this games seems to go away from that

am i right?

I got GW2 a few months ago, and only played it for about a week. My best advice would be to get a group of friends to play with, at about lvl 20 on you really need a friend to play with because it gets extremely difficult alone.

well i dont like grinding for items for 12 hours or lvl up for 2000 hours just for 1 lvl  and this games seems to go away from that

am i right?

Correct. You CAN grind if you want to, but it's more fun to play at your own pace, and take time to sniff the flowers. That's how I play whenever I get a chance to log in, I explore maps and do any events that are going on. 

It's more than possible to play by yourself, you don't really need groups to get through content. I solo as a Thief and have no trouble taking on large groups of NPCs with decent weapons (armour is less crucial).  

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Correct. You CAN grind if you want to, but it's more fun to play at your own pace, and take time to sniff the flowers. That's how I play whenever I get a chance to log in, I explore maps and do any events that are going on. 

It's more than possible to play by yourself, you don't really need groups to get through content. I solo as a Thief and have no trouble taking on large groups of NPCs with decent weapons (armour is less crucial).  

cool its sounds like the mmo for me i just hope the community is big so i can play with other people for time 2 time...

you can have your own skill tree like in path of exile?(if you have played it)

how are the quests? i dont like the kill 5 dogs for 1000 times collect this and that(if you know what i mean)

cool its sounds like the mmo for me i just hope the community is big so i can play with other people for time 2 time...

you can have your own skill tree like in path of exile?(if you have played it)

how are the quests? i dont like the kill 5 dogs for 1000 times collect this and that(if you know what i mean)

1) Community is fairly large. I haven't looked at recent statistics yet. Generally a large number of players on, and an incredibly friendly community. 

2) Skill "trees" are available in the form of Traits, which can be customized in any way you choose. Different traits suit different play styles. You get Trait points as you level up after level 10 up to a total of 70 points. 

3) There aren't really any quests in the game, at least, not in the traditional sense of go to NPC, activate quest, do quest, return to NPC for reward. Instead, there are Dynamic Events. When you're playing in an area, a notification pops up saying there's an Event going on nearby. You go to the area, and you can do any tasks associated with the Event. When the Event ends, you're automatically rewarded based on your participation. Events occur in chains, so when one ends, a related event starts up minutes later and continues on until the chain ends. Event chains are on a timer, so once a chain ends, it will start up again. 

The difference between Dynamic Events in GW2 and Quests in other MMOs is that an Event will trigger regardless of any players being present in the area, hence Dynamic Events. Even if nobody is on a specific map, Events will continue to occur. 

As a smaller addition, there are also "Heart" quests. These aren't actual quests, they're designed to draw player's attentions to specific areas of the map. They give minor rewards for doing any tasks associated with the Heart, and the NPC becomes a vendor after the Heart is completed. You can buy some unique items from Heart vendors. As you go to higher level maps, Hearts become fewer and far in between - the idea being you no longer need them if you explore on your own. 

1) Community is fairly large. I haven't looked at recent statistics yet. Generally a large number of players on, and an incredibly friendly community. 

2) Skill "trees" are available in the form of Traits, which can be customized in any way you choose. Different traits suit different play styles. You get Trait points as you level up after level 10 up to a total of 70 points. 

3) There aren't really any quests in the game, at least, not in the traditional sense of go to NPC, activate quest, do quest, return to NPC for reward. Instead, there are Dynamic Events. When you're playing in an area, a notification pops up saying there's an Event going on nearby. You go to the area, and you can do any tasks associated with the Event. When the Event ends, you're automatically rewarded based on your participation. Events occur in chains, so when one ends, a related event starts up minutes later and continues on until the chain ends. Event chains are on a timer, so once a chain ends, it will start up again. 

The difference between Dynamic Events in GW2 and Quests in other MMOs is that an Event will trigger regardless of any players being present in the area, hence Dynamic Events. Even if nobody is on a specific map, Events will continue to occur. 

As a smaller addition, there are also "Heart" quests. These aren't actual quests, they're designed to draw player's attentions to specific areas of the map. They give minor rewards for doing any tasks associated with the Heart, and the NPC becomes a vendor after the Heart is completed. You can buy some unique items from Heart vendors. As you go to higher level maps, Hearts become fewer and far in between - the idea being you no longer need them if you explore on your own. 

its sounds like the mmo for me getting tired of the "go to NPC, activate quest, do quest, return to NPC for reward" and hi lets put 20 skills and at the end people will just look up for the best build and be the same(because they could not beat a boss or just wanted the best)

I played thousands of hours of the first game but with GW2 I stopped after hitting level 80 because there was nothing to do other than grinding the same dungeons over and over for Legendary weapons and Ascended gear and that was too boring and frustrating especially with random groups.

Just like JayD said theres almost no end game once you hit level 80 and finish the main story line. Getting end game gear isnt even that difficult which is nice. They do add events evbery now and then so theres that. If you're a completionist then this game has a ton of achievements to get you hooked haha. 

Try to get into an active guild if you decide to buy it. It'll make the game much much more fun. Love the game, but its hard to get back into it without much endgame stuff to do.

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Game is really fun. Depends what you consider end game because rhere is lot of stuff for all kind of people. If you like verry specific things then after accomplishing them there is probably not much to do but if yoz like lots of things then you dont need to worry.

PvP is also avaible in nice scale. I recommend it even though I decided not to play MMOs anymore.

Go and watch Angry Joe's review of Guild Wars 2 on YouTube (cant link the vid cause YouTube is blocked in the office). The video made me fell in love with the game and been playing for a year now (just got my character's 1st birthday gift). I'm also almost at the end of completing my legendary weapon crafting. Feeling very excited and I don't care that it took me over a year to get it done.

As for the community, it is very very big. Try to search online for guilds and get to know them before buying the game (as what I did). Then, you will enjoy even more while playing the game with people you are comfortable with. 

All my life I have been playing MMO's and this game has been the longest I've been playing with. That's all I have to say. Hope that this will help  :)