SQL Help

Greenish
Go to solution Solved by dwang040,

As someone who is also just learning sql and php for a course, I can agree that W3schools has helped me out a lot. The basics of sql in general should not give you too much trouble. I think the hardest thing (for me) is dealing with multiple sub queries and joins. But in the end, while it can get messy with those larger queries and sub queries, as long as you understand what you are trying to get and have a good idea of how to get it, I believe you'll do fine. 

So, I need to learn SQL for an assignment. I am doing SQL while the rest of our class is doing HTML. Because I am fluent in HTML the teacher moved me up. Here is the problem. I need to learn it all myself as the teacher is teaching SQL. Can I have some basic stuff. What to do. How to start.

idk tbh

14 minutes ago, Greenish said:

So, I need to learn SQL for an assignment. I am doing SQL while the rest of our class is doing HTML. Because I am fluent in HTML the teacher moved me up. Here is the problem. I need to learn it all myself as the teacher is teaching SQL. Can I have some basic stuff. What to do. How to start.

w3schools is honestly pretty good for SQL.

https://www.w3schools.com/sql/

I would say to use that as a guide and then download some database -- wikipedia/IMDB -- and play around a bit on a local database.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

SQL ? id rather just play it dumb with HTML

SQL is nice. HTML is terrible.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, 79wjd said:

SQL is nice. HTML is terrible.

Sql is nice if you have rigid data.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

As someone who is also just learning sql and php for a course, I can agree that W3schools has helped me out a lot. The basics of sql in general should not give you too much trouble. I think the hardest thing (for me) is dealing with multiple sub queries and joins. But in the end, while it can get messy with those larger queries and sub queries, as long as you understand what you are trying to get and have a good idea of how to get it, I believe you'll do fine. 

• 4 weeks later...

The syntax diagrams over at https://sqlite.org/lang.html are helpful in understanding how to construct many different SQL commands. Also, IMO SQLite is a good dialect of SQL to get started with because it doesn't have a lot of the extra bells and whistles that the big databases have and is easy to setup.