ziogref

So I have a HP dl360 gen9 rackmount server

12c24t Xeon processor

64gb ddr4 eec ram

1tb m.2 NVME SSD (boot drive)

2x8tb WD red Raid 1

2x8tb Seagate Archive Raid 1

8 gigabit nics + 1x ILO

I currently run Windows Server 2016 DC (desktop experience) as my host OS and about 6 Debian Hyper V VM's.

I'm not happy about Windows Server being the Host OS, it's too unstable for my liking, current issue is unusable network speed (unsure, why, but 100% its a windows issue), when I say poor speed, im talking 1B/s I have to use the ILO to log in

Currently the hardware is overpowered for what I need, but the server was free.

I want to Virtualise all my servers but not using Hyper-V as I don't like it. I will still need 1 or 2 Windows servers and about 6-8 Debian servers. The ability to have docker would be nice but I don't need it.

So what are my choices for a host OS that can visualise about 8-10 machines? 

Currently the SSD hosts all the machines and then Windows Server uses the all the hard drives as SAMBA shares and uses Data-deduplication

I would like to use unRAID but I couldn't figure out how to pass the Raided disks through, I could pass individual disks through, but funny business happened when I did that. The RAID is using the onboard RAID solution. 

Would there be a performance loss to backup all the data, wipe the drives and rebuild using unraid as a software raid or is there another OS out there that would be better that can utilize the hardware raid?

I don't mind paying for something ($89 for unraid is fine, if I can work it) but I don't like the idea of paying something like $200 or a subscription, its a home server. 

(My debian machines don't do a whole lot, each has 1gb ram and 1 core)

What are my options?

There are many bare metal hypervisors. Prxmox as suggested above, ESXI from VMware. XenServer, XCP-NG that is a new alternative to XenServer. KVM and alot more i've probably never heard of yet. Pick the one you like the most :P

if you will just need that 1 server try the free version of ESXi, should be more than enough