Apple iPhone XR conspiracy theory

RollTime

Time to put on the tinfoil hat!

This was inspired by this post:

The iPhone XR isn't selling well, which is to be expected of a $750 phone with a sub-HD screen. It's a budget phone with a flagship price tag, and it really shouldn't exist. And here's what I think: Apple knows that. They know people won't want to buy the XR. They also know that people will pay them basically whatever they ask for if they have to. So they create a phone, a phone normal enough to avoid suspicion, but with one fatal flaw. The iPhone XR isn't meant to be bought. It's a placeholder, there to drive people to Apple's high-end XS and XS max while Apple can still claim a "budget" offering.

Yeah, it's a fairly unlikely theory. But I thought I was a cool idea.

Thoughts?

it's time

6 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Well, first things first:

Ask Apple's customers about their screen resolution, most of them don't even know and it's pretty normal, Apple is the brand that just works! Do you find hard to read on your iPhone XR? Nope, because it's been developed to be just the minimum needed to not make people uncomfortable

I think Apple made that phone so they won't be that fucking assholes that raise $200 their prices

That explanation makes FAR too much sense. It can't be real. 

/s

it's time

iPhone users dont care about specs for the most part, the Xr is designed for the general consumer who sees the nicely coloured backs, modern design and great camera. It's a solid phone with exceptional performance and prioritises the things their consumers actually want in a phone. I've seen a Xr in person and the screen looks great (I'm a Xs user).

Apple would never design a product they dont want to sell, why would they waste their time doing that? They're already the best selling phones by a clear mile 

Was at the store today, and had some models in hand to play with it for half a minute~.

Tbh... Going from Xs to Xs Max, and then to Xr... The main thing i noticed was the bigger bezels. Even looking a bit closer for a few seconds, i couldn't see much of a difference in "Sharpness".

No, the Resolution is not really an issue.

It WERE an issue, if it was a 828p Oled panel. Since Oled Panels have 2 Subpixel per pixel, and share the third with a nearby Pixel.

LCD is RGB, and thus sharper.

Modern Android smartphones with 6+" 1080p Oled screen aren't noticeably sharper than the Xr. Simply use a calculator and see how much total Subpixel there are. You will be surprised.

The last thing I expected from my post was to see conspiracies based around it lol.

I think the problem with the XR is poor marketing. You see flashy ads for the XS and XS Max and they are gorgeously displayed at fronts of tech stores, but the XR doesn't get nearly as much attention.

If the XR was similarly marketed as the XS, it would sell like hotcakes.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

15 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

49 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

1 hour ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

Alright, so maybe it was dumb. Still fun to think about.

it's time

23 hours ago, Djole123 said:

If the XR was similarly marketed as the XS, it would sell like hotcakes.

I am not too sure about that. Display resolution aside ( it is sharp enough for the average consumer not to notice), I find it looks a lot less "sexy" than the X, XS and XS Max. The thicker bezels make it look kind of overweight compared to the Oled variants. I think that is something people are noticing, but I might be wrong.

There’s no issue with the XR, just the price. And that’s been the trend for iPhones as a whole. IMHO, all iPhones are overpriced by $200. And Android phones are doing the same as Apple by fear of being perceived as a “budget” option to Apple. It’s less expensive, so it’s gotta be worse right? 

18 hours ago, kokakolia said:

There’s no issue with the XR, just the price. And that’s been the trend for iPhones as a whole. IMHO, all iPhones are overpriced by $200. And Android phones are doing the same as Apple by fear of being perceived as a “budget” option to Apple. It’s less expensive, so it’s gotta be worse right? 

Price isn't an issue for the Xr, the Xs is the main reason it isnt selling. People that want a new iPhone want the best thats available. Thats why the X outsold the 8 and 8 plus last year even though it was more expensive