Directing Air Flow in a PC

Larsenist

In a lot of servers, I see plastic being used to direct the air flow. I was wondering how effective this would be in a typical PC and how I would be able to acquire parts that fit around my cooler and graphics cards.

You'd be unlikely to find any for sale, nor do I think it'd help at all, but you could probably just try it with some cardboard to see if it helps temps at all. 

It depends on what you mean by typical. Shrouds can make a huge difference but they have to be suited towards the fans and heatsinks you're using. Directed airflow means less wasted airflow which means the fans are used more efficiently.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Air ducts were thing before fans were as big and as efficient as they are now. I used to have one sticking out of side panel. Removed it as I used tower cooler instead of stock. You can use any plastic pieces, or even cardboard. But you don't really need them in modern ATX case.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

That pic above is more about confined air flow to critical heat points.

PC cases are by build and design leaky ships. You just want air in and out.

But !

From a modders pov id be inclined to mould from plex using heat.... if you want to invest some time you could make a small vacuum press and make one that way.

A while back i did a quick mod to a Fractal nano s and was a bit worried about flow to the GPU....  so i ramped the custom psu cover to help direct air to the fans....

It made a massive diff to gpu temps once the sides were on.

IMG_20180508_222436-M.jpg 

IMG_20180508_222458-M.jpg