Anyone else experience this?

iKingRPG

So a few days back my dad and I were shopping for a TV and he asked me why some that were Smaller we're more expensive. I tried to explain higher refresh rates and oled and qled, and he didn't really understand. This isn't the bad part. When he asked the sales guy he keeps saying things like: "oh qled is Samsung's newest technology." And "these TVs are newer". I mean the sales guy is the annoying part to me. If I went to a computer store and asked the difference between a i5-7600k and i5-9600k, I wouldn't want to hear: "this is Intels newest technology" "these are newer". I would want to know if the cores are the same and clock speed. I know it is to make it simple and get people to buy stuff, but it still bothers me.

3 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

So a few days back my dad and I were shopping for a TV and he asked me why some that were Smaller we're more expensive. I tried to explain higher refresh rates and oled and qled, and he didn't really understand. This isn't the bad part. When he asked the sales guy he keeps saying things like: "oh qled is Samsung's newest technology." And "these TVs are newer". I mean the sales guy is the annoying part to me. If I went to a computer store and asked the difference between a i5-7600k and i5-9600k, I wouldn't want to hear: "this is Intels newest technology" "these are newer". I would want to know if the cores are the same and clock speed. I know it is to make it simple and get people to buy stuff, but it still bothers me.

after explaining that to 20 people you give up. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Yeah, I know what you mean.

From being told I couldn't run dual channel with two sticks made by different brands over hearing people at stores are told decent laptops can only be had upwards from €500...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, iKingRPG said:

Lol, welcome to 95% of all salespeople. They know the stuff that's readily there on the product itself but most don't know much more.

For what they get paid, I accept it.  They're just floor people rotated around the store, not dedicated sales.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

It might not necessarily entirely be the shop assistants' fault, though... Apart from just giving up after a certain amount of people not understanding, as @syntaxvgm mentioned, they might have been trained to answer like that(not wanting to imply that stores might tell them to in order to be able to sell more...)...

I guess we're never going to be entirely sure about their intention... 

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

16 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

A minimum wage staff doesn't care, even if he knew.

The sale guy is there to say what the buyer wants to hear, that is how you do a sale.

I worked in retail (summer job), and I can tell you, while at the time, the store had Core 2 Duo's and Quad's, a customer comes in and wanted a Pnetium 4, because he was told that Pentium 4 is the best (this was added with the super aggressive marketing campaign Intel). I tried to explain how the Core 2 Duo was significantly better, but useless... he wanted a Pentium 4, and pushed me aside (not physically) like I am a crap salesman trying to push crap product to him, only to jump to another salesman, who managed to find a Pentium 4 in some inventory in some super far store, where the box was even crushed as it was forgotten in the store back with other heavier stuff on the back. The consumer was happy the day he came and picked it up, and told me how bad sales person I was. Thanks! I have plenty of story. And I agree, after a point you are just tired of explaining things, especially when you have the store manager pushing you to sale, also pushing inadequate system to consumers so that they come back sooner for PC upgrade. Now, I could not sale crap to people, so I tried, to those I felt I could communicate to them, system that did fit their needs, while not explaining much. I did get some "talks" by the store manager, for not pushing products that they had too many of, but I meet my numbers, so they could not do anything (beside not pushing 100$ RAM upgrade service. Didn't include overpriced valued-priced-value-pack RAM).

1 hour ago, iKingRPG said:

If I went to a computer store and asked the difference between a i5-7600k and i5-9600k, I wouldn't want to hear: "this is Intels newest technology" "these are newer". I would want to know if the cores are the same and clock speed. I know it is to make it simple and get people to buy stuff, but it still bothers me.

Imagine if you knew absolutely nothing about computer specs or how they mattered.

And you also don't really care about spending 20 minutes reading about it.

On 11/5/2018 at 1:42 PM, iKingRPG said:

Used to sell electronics at Sams Club. Most of my job involved dropping shit loads of pallets and putting the product out for sale. While I did help customers, most of the time I was pulled to other area's of the store, such as mattresses. Because yeah, I know a lot about computers so I can sell some one a mattress. Most of the time people's questions would be if we had it in stock. Or they would be bitching because the Online price was different from the stores price. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.