Cpu throttles when radiator's mounted up top

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right area. I'm using a h110i liquad cooler that was mounted at the top of my case, with the fans in a pull configuration blowing air out for my i7 4790k and for the most part, I haven't had any issues with it. Until a couple months back my cpu started to throttle (I was hitting 100c). I wasn't sure what was causing it, so I tried a couple of things and nothing worked, until I decided to move the radiator in the front of the case with my fans in a push configuration blowing in the case which it made a massive difference (down to 60c). However, after I moved my radiator my gtx 980 ti started to throttle. To me this seems really strange because from what I understand the air flow temperature going through the fins of a heatsink or radiator would make a negligible difference. Does anyone know what is going on?

7 minutes ago, _Chaotic_ said:

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right area. I'm using a h110i liquad cooler that was mounted at the top of my case, with the fans in a pull configuration blowing air out for my i7 4790k and for the most part, I haven't had any issues with it. Until a couple months back my cpu started to throttle (I was hitting 100c). I wasn't sure what was causing it, so I tried a couple of things and nothing worked, until I decided to move the radiator in the front of the case with my fans in a push configuration blowing in the case which it made a massive difference (down to 60c). However, after I moved my radiator my gtx 980 ti started to throttle. To me this seems really strange because from what I understand the air flow temperature going through the fins of a heatsink or radiator would make a negligible difference. Does anyone know what is going on?

Your GPU throttled when your radiator was in the front because you had the fans pulling air in, which gives the GPU hot air to breathe.

I had the opposite in my case (with an H55).

I would make sure your rad is nice and clean, make sure its not leaking anywhere, and make sure your fan blades are clean. You could possibly try mounting the rad flipped to the other direction. 

Then you could try thermal paste re-application, or even a CPU re-mount. Also just dust everything, make sure its all clean. If you wanted to, you could also try a CPU delid if your temps still don't go down (and if you feel confident enough to do so). Otherwise, it may be time for a CPU upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

Maybe from the heat of the GPU is rising up into the radiator.

Its possible, but hard to say if we don't know what type of cooler is GPU has. Not to mention, if the PC was in said configuration before without issues, its probably not the GPU's fault.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

3 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

Maybe from the heat of the GPU is rising up into the radiator.

That's what I thought, but I had people tell me it shouldn't make that big of a difference.

1 minute ago, Eastman51 said:

Your GPU throttled when your radiator was in the front because you had the fans pulling air in, which gives the GPU hot air to breathe.

I had the opposite in my case (with an H55).

I would make sure your rad is nice and clean, make sure its not leaking anywhere, and make sure your fan blades are clean. You could possibly try mounting the rad flipped to the other direction. 

Then you could try thermal paste re-application, or even a CPU re-mount. Also just dust everything, make sure its all clean. If you wanted to, you could also try a CPU delid if your temps still don't go down (and if you feel confident enough to do so). Otherwise, it may be time for a CPU upgrade.

Its possible, but hard to say if we don't know what type of cooler is GPU has. Not to mention, if the PC was in said configuration before without issues, its probably not the GPU's fault.

The radiator wasn't leaking, and I did reinstall new thermal paste and it made a small difference, but not enough to stop the throttling and I made sure to clean it before I reinstalled it, with the same problem. My 980 ti uses an exhaust style system, that blows the air into the case.

@_Chaotic_I am wondering if enough of the liquid in your AIO has evaporated so that the pump wasn't able to move liquid in a top configuration and it is when mounted in the front. Could be wrong, but I have a feeling this is more your AIO is reaching the end of its life. If it is still under warranty I would RMA it. I am 80% sure a new AIO would solve this issue.

2 minutes ago, Rusted said:

One possibility is that the pump on the CPU block is broken and the fluid is not moving in the loop.

Considering the release date of 4th gen Intel, its possible his CPU cooler is about as old. This is a definite possibility.

Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

4 minutes ago, Rusted said:

One possibility is that the pump on the CPU block is broken and the fluid is not moving in the loop.

I thought if the pump failed, the aio wouldn't function at all.

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

@_Chaotic_I am wondering if enough of the liquid in your AIO has evaporated so that the pump wasn't able to move liquid in a top configuration and it is when mounted in the front. Could be wrong, but I have a feeling this is more your AIO is reaching the end of its life. If it is still under warranty I would RMA it. I am 80% sure a new AIO would solve this issue.

I feel like this could be possible, my aio is 4 years old at this point.

3 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Considering the release date of 4th gen Intel, its possible his CPU cooler is about as old. This is a definite possibility.

Could a liquid aio still function if the pump is broken?

2 minutes ago, _Chaotic_ said:

"broken" would most likely indicate total failure. "Failing" would probably be a better description, where the pump has difficulty pumping liquid through the loop. Evaporation could also be another symptom, considering the age.

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

Just now, _Chaotic_ said:

No, it needs the pump to move the fluid. Fluid needs to flow for the heat from the cpu to be moved away.

4 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

What case do you have? 

Fractal design r5

1 minute ago, Eastman51 said:

"broken" would most likely indicate total failure. "Failing" would probably be a better description, where the pump has difficulty pumping liquid through the loop. Evaporation could also be another symptom, considering the age.

This makes sense considering my temps fixed when I moved the radiator into the front of the case, probably easier for the pump to move the water through the radiator. Considering the age of the unit.

2 minutes ago, Rusted said:

No, it needs the pump to move the fluid. Fluid needs to flow for the heat from the cpu to be moved away.

So, from what it sounds like, the pump is probably failing.

1 hour ago, _Chaotic_ said:

with the fans in a pull configuration blowing air out for my i7 4790k and for the most part

Mounted top, with the fans in PULL config?  So you have Radiator, Fans, Top of case?  Should be Fans, Radiator, Top of Case in a Push config.  You don't want hot air sitting around near the radiator or having the radiator absorb any of that heat waiting to be "pulled" through by fans restricted by "pulling" through a radiator.  EDIT - if your pump isn't failing.  That would be my guess. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 hours ago, _Chaotic_ said:

If it is 4 years old then I am now 95% sure the problem is evaporation. When the loop is up top and level the liquid isn't as easily able to keep the pump supplied with water so your loop ends up with a constant flow of air in it (bad) and means it can not remove the head from the cpu as easily.

When you have it mounted up and down you were probably lucky on having the the in on top and out on bottom... So having gravity keep water pooling on the out side keeps your pump fed with water and the air on top isn't as much of an issue.

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Mounted top, with the fans in PULL config?  So you have Radiator, Fans, Top of case?  Should be Fans, Radiator, Top of Case in a Push config.  You don't want hot air sitting around near the radiator or having the radiator absorb any of that heat waiting to be "pulled" through by fans restricted by "pulling" through a radiator.  EDIT - if your pump isn't failing.  That would be my guess. 

I had it in a pull configuration to make it easier to clean, my overclock wasn't major, so it worked good up until that point.

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

If it is 4 years old then I am now 95% sure the problem is evaporation. When the loop is up top and level the liquid isn't as easily able to keep the pump supplied with water so your loop ends up with a constant flow of air in it (bad) and means it can not remove the head from the cpu as easily.

When you have it mounted up and down you were probably lucky on having the the in on top and out on bottom... So having gravity keep water pooling on the out side keeps your pump fed with water and the air on top isn't as much of an issue.

Makes sense, I appreciate the information.

Others have hinted at it but try this: Orient the rad so the tubing is at the bottom. Listen for water sounds & check temps. It's possible you have air in the loop, and by putting the tubes at the bottom, air will get trapped in the "top" end-cap of the rad & stay there. 

It's a good idea with any AiO cooler to give it a jiggle every so often so any air that has made it in will get trapped this way. 

This is the downside of AiO's vs custom loops which can be topped off.