Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coax to Ethernet?

iKingRPG

Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
1 minute ago, iKingRPG said:

Ok sorry if I wasn't specific I write that quickly. So my house is wired where rooms have coax ports in the wall and those wires run all the way down to the basement into a closet where the router and switch is. So could I have so I put the Ethernet in the switch and convert it to coax to go through the wires that run to the wall ports? And I would then put adapters on those wall ports so I can connect computers? Also do you think that would limit speeds to where I should just use Wi-Fi? Thanks.

Well, if the wires are isolated (all runs go down the basement), you can use a bunch of moca adapters (one per line) to get ethernet to each room. Expensive though.

No, Moca is quite fast. I believe it's 600 Mb/s rated. My old verizon moca install handled 150Mb/s with ease (before I ran ethernet to the ONT outside)

My home is wired with coaxial cables in rooms for cable TV so can I use adapters to go from my switch to my room and use Ethernet?

Just to clarify, you want Ethernet over Coax?

Certainly isn't cheap to do, but something like this should work: https://amzn.to/2yOBVV3

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

16 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

My home is wired with coaxial cables in rooms for cable TV so can I use adapters to go from my switch to my room and use Ethernet?

Yep, you are looking for moca adapters. However, you need to make sure nothing else is on the coax lines (cable boxes, TV, antenna, etc) because they can cause interference.

22 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yep, you are looking for moca adapters. However, you need to make sure nothing else is on the coax lines (cable boxes, TV, antenna, etc) because they can cause interference.

That is incorrect, MoCA is designed to coexist with DOCSIS and TV channel signals, it is actually used by most cable companies for the reading of channel guide data and other things that would need internet access from the STBs. The only thing MoCA can’t coexist with is satellite TV.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

3 minutes ago, brwainer said:

That is incorrect, MoCA is designed to coexist with DOCSIS and TV channel signals, it is actually used by most cable companies for the reading of channel guide data and other things that would need internet access from the STBs. The only thing MoCA can’t coexist with is satellite TV.

Ah, I'm thinking of Verizon mostly, where you wouldn't want to use a moca adapter on the same coax line as the Verizon router (which feeds moca for tv guide as mentioned above). Since in Verizon, ONT coax = TV video, router coax = moca internet for the tv boxes, where you need both to use the Verizon set top boxes.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Ok sorry if I wasn't specific I write that quickly. So my house is wired where rooms have coax ports in the wall and those wires run all the way down to the basement into a closet where the router and switch is. So could I have so I put the Ethernet in the switch and convert it to coax to go through the wires that run to the wall ports? And I would then put adapters on those wall ports so I can connect computers? Also do you think that would limit speeds to where I should just use Wi-Fi? Thanks.

EDIT: And yeah the coax cables currently aren't used for anything except in a couple rooms.

1 minute ago, iKingRPG said:

Well, if the wires are isolated (all runs go down the basement), you can use a bunch of moca adapters (one per line) to get ethernet to each room. Expensive though.

No, Moca is quite fast. I believe it's 600 Mb/s rated. My old verizon moca install handled 150Mb/s with ease (before I ran ethernet to the ONT outside)

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Okay, thanks! It is okay as I will be using it for one room for now (my bedroom lol). I really appreciate it! I thought of this idea because I know there is no way my parents would ever let me cut a hole in the wall and run wires through it lol. I hope you enjoy your Ethernet cables! This is why I love the LTT forum!

Just now, iKingRPG said:

Okay, thanks! It is okay as I will be using it for one room for now (my bedroom lol). I really appreciate it! I thought of this idea because I know there is no way my parents would ever let me cut a hole in the wall and run wires through it lol. I hope you enjoy your Ethernet cables! This is why I love the LTT forum!

Yeah, my dad is a contractor and I learned from him so me fishing ethernet through the attic is nothing. haha.

You can run ethernet in the house without making holes in the wall (aside from the one for the wall plate), but you have to know how to do it and where you are in the attic. Also you need tools to terminate ethernet cable as well (not hard to do at all)

Good luck with the moca adapter set up, but they are pretty expensive.

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, my dad is a contractor and I learned from him so me fishing ethernet through the attic is nothing. haha.

You can run ethernet in the house without making holes in the wall (aside from the one for the wall plate), but you have to know how to do it and where you are in the attic. Also you need tools to terminate ethernet cable as well (not hard to do at all)

Good luck with the moca adapter set up, but they are pretty expensive.

I actually just found on Amazon there are DirecTV adapters and people are saying that they will work for what I am doing? They are a lot cheaper should I try that? Lol also in my old house I had a 50 ft Ethernet cable going from the router to my bedroom and my mom didn't like that I duct taped it to the wall ??

2 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

I actually just found on Amazon there are DirecTV adapters and people are saying that they will work for what I am doing? They are a lot cheaper should I try that? Lol also in my old house I had a 50 ft Ethernet cable going from the router to my bedroom and my mom didn't like that I duct taped it to the wall ??

Ah, from what I've read the deca adapters aren't as fast as moca 2.0 ones (but they are quite cheap). It depends on what your internet speed is.

Yeah, my dad would make me go in the attic before doing duct taped cable because he knows I know how to run it inside the wall properly. lol

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, I'm thinking of Verizon mostly, where you wouldn't want to use a moca adapter on the same coax line as the Verizon router (which feeds moca for tv guide as mentioned above). Since in Verizon, ONT coax = TV video, router coax = moca internet for the tv boxes, where you need both to use the Verizon set top boxes.

Thanks for clearing it up.

You can actually use your own MoCA 2.0 adapter with Verizon and you'll tap right into the same LAN as the STBs are using - you won't be causing any issue, that's how its supposed to work. MoCA has separate channels for WAN (ONT to Router) and LAN (Router to network) communication, and the MoCA adapters you are able to buy as a consumer can only tap into the LAN part.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

14 hours ago, scottyseng said:

I believe it's 600 Mb/s rated

Unbonded adapters are rated for 400 Mbps while bonded adapters are rated for like 800 Mbps. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.