Memory for old workstation (Precision T5400)

PeterG
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

It uses what's known as DDR2-FBDIMM, fully buffered ECC memory. You can find this for next to nothing on eBay. Max capacity to remain affordable is 4GB per DIMM. So probably 32GB as I'm assuming a dual CPU board has 8 slots.

(supported types would be PC2-5300F and PC2-6400F)

Word of warning, each module consumes around 7-10W so if you like your power bill, use high density modules :P

I am planning on setting up a NAS (with FreeNAS) and looking for hardware.  I found an old Dell Precision T5400 for $50 (w/ dual Xeon E5420's) but it is missing the memory.  According to the specifications linked, the original configuration only had 2GB (2x1GB) of memory which is obviously nowhere near enough.  I can't find specs anywhere on the maximum memory supported, does anybody have an idea on how to find out?  (Or if this is a good choice for a NAS).

It uses what's known as DDR2-FBDIMM, fully buffered ECC memory. You can find this for next to nothing on eBay. Max capacity to remain affordable is 4GB per DIMM. So probably 32GB as I'm assuming a dual CPU board has 8 slots.

(supported types would be PC2-5300F and PC2-6400F)

Word of warning, each module consumes around 7-10W so if you like your power bill, use high density modules :P

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro