New Anti-Virus

Brick1026

For about a year or two now I have used McAfee and I have only had a virus breach my security once. However, I have never used anti-malware and my McAfee subscription is coming to a end. On that note, I wanted to ask if there were any better anti-virus software you guys would recommend (or anti-malware if you think I need it) or if I should look into renewing my McAfee subscription. It is probably also worth mentioning my specs if it is of any relevance to how the software will slow down my PC. My modest specs are a GT 730 and 6400t which I humbly game on. As a result, I am looking for a security that is very effective, but that ideally won't act as bloatware for my system so I can push as much performance out of my measly GT 730. Thanks in advance for the much needed help.

i say Avast if you are not a programmer...

it will alert you if a script or anything suspicious is on your system.. which i found out first hand when i was making a game in unity, i had about 20 scrips all with about 40 lines, and avast black listed them for being “viruses” 

so i deleted avast after getting my scripts back, so if you do not do programming i suggest that, if you are detected to have malaware or a virus, it will alert you about infinite times, even if you say it is okay.. so it will make sure you know you have a virus when you get one

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I have Bitdefender, and I absolutely love it right now. Super low-key (non-bloat ware as requested) on your computer and has a ton of features without getting in your face and/or messing up your computer (I"M LOOKING AT YOU NORTEN). Would recommend, and so would most publications who review antivirus.

The ONLY thing that gets me every once in awhile is that I have my personal folders protected, so when I start up a new game, I have to allow the game to access My Documents folder.

Whatever you do, don't just get an "anti-virus". Get a "security suite", with a firewall and protection against cryptolockers included.

I personally like AVG Internet Security, but that's just me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Whatever you do, don't just get an "anti-virus". Get a "security suite", with a firewall and protection against cryptolockers included.

I personally like AVG Internet Security, but that's just me.

Bitdefender also has all those included in its package ?

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Windows defender, Malwarebytes and common sense

I really can't argue with that...... dang it....

18 minutes ago, Kiyometa said:

Bitdefender also has all those included in its package ?

Yeaaaaah, it does.
Just too bad I never had a good experience with Bitdefender whenever I tried it. (About once a year when my license expire, I check out a few "trials" of Security suites of the newest versions... after doing a backup of my PC of course, wouldn't want extra crap that's not removing itself bloating my OS)

Its custom SSL crap just blocks my entire access to the internet. I have no idea why, tried 3 times since 2015, each time I had no network access on my browser(Firefox) but it worked on a portable version of Chrome(that I have in case a website doesn't work on Firefox...), switching browser just because the security suite didn't want to play nice with it wasn't an option and it seemed counter productive having to disable something that's meant to "protect" just to be able to use it.

11 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Windows defender, Malwarebytes and common sense

Common sense doesn't always work. Just today I had two notification from my firewall, saying it blocked some crap while I was browsing the web.(one was a "miner" thing and the other some trojan)

Doesn't take much for a website that you know to become infected, from bad ads to outright hacked, these days. (For example, the "Twogag" webcomic website, was compromised for like 2 weeks just recently)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Go for eset.I'm using it for years now. It is lightweight and won't create issues when you are doing programming as shown by avast.I'm not saying this is the best. But for me, it works like charm.

More things I use for security -

1) opendns 

2) blocksi chrome extension

3) uBlock origin.

For security related videos and topics go here -

1) https://malwaretips.com/

2) https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePCSecurity 

3) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZuDh1eYI-MoGsBJRl7_QPQ?   (My youtube channel where I have compared antivirus products but not recommended as the videos are old but you can visit it won't take long.)

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG