Do I need a new PSU?

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
1 minute ago, mattyo1228 said:

Is there any risk of damage to the GPU or anything by running this setup? Considering that the 2070 was quite expensive I'm willing to spend the extra money on a better power supply if you think it would be safer to do so. I have the cash for a new PSU now, I just don't want to unnecessarily spend money that I don't have to.

Maybe in the long term? If it did it would probably take at least a year or two to make an impact; it could also limit OCing.

A new PSU would be fully modular and (probably) quieter so if either of those things are things you would like you could "excuse" a new PSU ?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/64cMnQ/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750fx

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

It is kind of an insurance type thing though... getting a better PSU means you could keep it for a long time without worrying about it and often the higher end units have much better warranties (7-10 years). If you're not straining for the cash I would probably get one though. Though if you want you could wait until black friday and see if there are deals then.

So I just ordered an RTX 2070, but the problem is I just realized I only have one 8-pin PCIe power connector on my power supply, but the card I ordered has an 8-pin and a 6-pin power connector on it. The 8-pin cable I have for my power supply has two 6+2-pin connectors on them. Do I need to buy a new PSU as well or would I be okay to just use the two connectors on the cable I already have? Thanks.

Yeah that should work fine. What PSU do you have though that only has one 8 pin?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah that should work fine. What PSU do you have though that only has one 8 pin?

I have a 600w 80 plus bronze EVGA power supply. Will that be fine? Will a single 8-pin connector off the power supply be able to provide enough power to an 8-pin and a 6-pin connector on the GPU?

I have a 600w 80 plus bronze EVGA power supply. Will that be fine? Will a single 8-pin connector off the power supply be able to provide enough power to an 8-pin and a 6-pin connector on the GPU?

Yeah it should be fine, I doubt an rtx 2070 would draw enough to burn out an 8 pin even OCed. I'm guessing you have this PSU though? It's not gonna blow up or anything but it's not the best quality PSU so you might want to consider getting something better in the future especially if you have enough to get a 2070

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-B1-0600-KR

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah it should be fine, I doubt an rtx 2070 would draw enough to burn out an 8 pin even OCed. I'm guessing you have this PSU though? It's not gonna blow up or anything but it's not the best quality PSU so you might want to consider getting something better in the future especially if you have enough to get a 2070

g2 series is also great if you want to pay some more

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I already ordered the 2070, and this is the PSU I have:https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=110-BQ-0600-K1

Do you recommend I upgrade my PSU? Because I do fully intend on pushing the card as far as I can get it to go.

15 minutes ago, mattyo1228 said:

I already ordered the 2070, and this is the PSU I have:https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=110-BQ-0600-K1

Do you recommend I upgrade my PSU? Because I do fully intend on pushing the card as far as I can get it to go.

BQ is quite a bit better than the B1 I listed earlier, so you should mostly be fine. If you get a bit of cash or the noise of the PSU bothers you though definitely consider upgrading it.

It's not urgent or anything; your PC will run fine, it's just the psu is lower quality and might run louder than a higher end unit.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

BQ is quite a bit better than the B1 I listed earlier, so you should mostly be fine. If you get a bit of cash or the noise of the PSU bothers you though definitely consider upgrading it.

It's not urgent or anything; your PC will run fine, it's just the psu is lower quality and might run louder than a higher end unit.

Is there any risk of damage to the GPU or anything by running this setup? Considering that the 2070 was quite expensive I'm willing to spend the extra money on a better power supply if you think it would be safer to do so. I have the cash for a new PSU now, I just don't want to unnecessarily spend money that I don't have to.

15 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm just going to bite the bullet and order a better power supply. This is what I'm going to order: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438131

Maybe in the long term? If it did it would probably take at least a year or two to make an impact; it could also limit OCing.

A new PSU would be fully modular and (probably) quieter so if either of those things are things you would like you could "excuse" a new PSU ?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/64cMnQ/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750fx

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

It is kind of an insurance type thing though... getting a better PSU means you could keep it for a long time without worrying about it and often the higher end units have much better warranties (7-10 years). If you're not straining for the cash I would probably get one though. Though if you want you could wait until black friday and see if there are deals then.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, mattyo1228 said:

I'm just going to bite the bullet and order a better power supply. This is what I'm going to order: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438131

Solid! A slightly better Focus+ I believe is only a couple bucks more so that might be another option

https://www.pc-canada.com/item/SSR-650FX.html?utm_source=pcpartpicker&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker

if you want you could just wait for black friday and see if deals pop up then

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Solid! A slightly better Focus+ I believe is only a couple bucks more so that might be another option

https://www.pc-canada.com/item/SSR-650FX.html?utm_source=pcpartpicker&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker

if you want you could just wait for black friday and see if deals pop up then

In my experience power supplies don't really go on for great sales on black Friday here in Canada anyways. I'll feel better about using a better power supply for my shinny new RTX 2070 anyways. Thanks for all the input at least now I'll know I'm okay to install the 2070 right away if it comes in before the new PSU. This is the PSU I ordered as it was a decent price with a mail in rebate.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438131

EVGA calls the PCIe connectors on your psu 2x8 (2x(6+2). You will be absolutely fine with what you have.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Screenshot_20181027-115613.thumb.png.1d691ec71aef3bac9d5544c5a1b340fd.png

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430