Is there any reason to get an Nvidia GPU for gaming anymore?

defunkt

Looks like Nvidia has to actually innovate. Physx can only take you so far.

nvidia has shadowplay, physx, gsync, shield, etc, and right now they are cheaper.

amd has .. well they have.. mining.. which is not gaming related, mining has only made these cards silly expensive sooo.. no benefit.

i don't know anything about free-sync it can't be as good as gsync... i wonder how it would cooperate with the monitor if it's similar to gsync in any way... why would nvidia have a hardware implementation if it's pointless (yeah yeah money hungry and all that usual crap, but come on) and btw guys, the r9 290 runs at 95*c with a stock cooler.. not after market, that is why you don't buy the frigging stock one.

^^

Agreed though my preference is NVIDIA so I don't know :P

So do I, definitely.... That being said, I'm about to grab a 290 soon unless CES brings something more interesting than cars and holodecks

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

@Nvidia fanboys, I just want to say, I love you guys.

You complete me.  As soon as I saw the news I had to come to the forums and watch the tears flow, they're like sugar water.

cartman-tears.gif

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I have a 780 Classified, but I am in no way a fanboy of Nvidia. I think they really need to innovate instead of marketing separate hardware and proprietary software (gsync, shadowplay, physx).

I have no intention of using shadowplay, because let's face it: any decent GPU will handle fraps/dxtory/etc just fine (I started my youtube channel more than 2 years ago with an HD 5770 and fraps). Many free programs can pre-record as well if you miss a moment you forgot to save. I don't feel that shadowplay has brought anything new to the table, unless you are trying to stream/record from a low end GPU.

In the end, buying a graphics card (for gaming) has come down to price. 290s went up while 780s went down and I made my decision based on that alone.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

Free-Sync? Do you mean G-Sync?

nvidia (high-end cards) are cheaper atm

No, he means Free-Sync.

AMD has their own synchronization, Free-Sync.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This, 100% this. For all we know, Mantle may not even take off, like the Apple Pippin.

While all of the AMD fanboys drool over it, realize that we have had no hands on tech demo of this, and for all we know, it's vaporware.

See, I'm not saying that companies haven't screwed themselves over stupid features they thought everyone would love (*cough* Microsoft *cough*), but at the same time, I can't imagine AMD going so far for Mantle if it is just vaporware.

The developers who have it apparently like it. I think that's enough to say it is good, at least for them (i.e. easier to develop for). What that means for games on the consumer side of things, I have no idea. I only know that when humans are happy, they tend to get more shit done and get it done better. Look at Valve. Their company is just built for efficiency and awesomeness. They get awesome stuff done all the time. We need more of that.

Just saying. I feel there is a valid reason to be optimistic about all this. Specifically because, as far as I'm concerned, lately, AMD has been making all the right decisions. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

well actually AMD has openCL and openCL is becoming more and more widely adopted (which is really good!.... but not for gamers immediately) *cough OSX Sony Vegas MPE *cough

but yes, I do feel the same way after today's AMD's big uppercut blow to Nvidia. Just love it - I watched every single person who just kept insisted on saying "uhh dude just AMD sucks yo, cause power, shadowplay, and I get to pay more so it must be better", and I can finally, finally laugh back at them with some thing to back me up (even the 780 ti performs really about the same as 290x on a per-clock basis)... AMD rising from the ashes! Normally I'm not a "fanboy", but I could not stand people just bashing AMD just for a couple of flaws and lacking features. Now they fixed it with 290 tri-x & all the new features announced over this year (and last year). Now, if only miners could GTFO...

shadowplay, G sync, and the amount of problems i've had with AMD drivers  

oh and I like quite and cooler cards not a hot moped in my case.

I also want shield.

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

Only reason to buy a Nvidia graphics card is PhysX

Shadowplay is not needed for gaming as long as you don't have a famous youtube/twitch channel.

Cuda is not for gaming.

GSync is not cheap and you have to buy a new monitor to use it (also AMD is coming up with FreeSync)

And as long as you have a good display or you don't want to play on a console-like device you don't need Shield.

this is interesting, you have all made great points,i mean i am just about to buy a gigabyte 780 for the reason by redeeming the games i get with it brings the price down to £270 overall thanks to Black flag and Batman. so their is still reason to go nvidia for the moment thanks to the price to performance.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Mantle demo:

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

There are reasons to buy anything, To say otherwise is being very shortsighted. Something people have not mentioned is Nvidia's tight control over AIBs and how that leads to generally over-all better reliabilty across the board and in general the Nvidia only companies have a much higher support track record. Of course the flip-side of this is that you don't get the crazy custom cards that pop up every now and then on the AMD side.

As far as the extras like Mantle, PhysX, and others go I don't really consider them selling points. Mantle is unproven, Freesync won't be out for a LOOOONG time, PhysX will never amount to anything more than some occsionally neat effects that you stop noticing after a couple minutes, and so on. For me is all about who offers me the best over-all hardware package at the time I'm buying.

1:So you can spend more money.

2: So you can say you have an Nvidia gpu.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I'm not fanboying over Nvidia or anything, but I would never consider putting a AMD GPU in my personal systems ever again. They have forever lost me as a customer for their support, hardware and driver issues. Surely things might be different today, but that doesn't matter. They are dead in my eyes; So the only other option is Nvidia.

Cheers,

Linus

Green is a better color than red! 

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M