Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did i hit the Silicon Lottery?

Now, I know the 6700k is a fairly old chip and not many people are interested in it now.

However, I was wondering if anyone has had the same results I have.

I have a Asus VIII Hero board, an i7-6700k overclocked to 4.6Ghz, with a Kraken x61.

But the best thing....

It is running at a core voltage of 1.216v.

Now if I am correct, this is a very good voltage to be running at, not delidded.

Does anyone else have an overclock like this, I will be curious to find out.

Capture.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK, that's a pretty good overclock. You should go over to over to overclock.net and see other people's results there.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

you should slap a 280mm on 240mm or higher cooler on it and see if you can get 5ghz cause that's an amazing bin for first gen skylake. id even recommend a de-lid to see if you can go further on that 120mm cooler. id even buy that off you for 150 - 200 usd as that could beat ryzen chips and some of the 6 core intel chips from coffee lake and easily beat the 4 core ones from kabylake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not really looked into overclocking my 6700k yet but hopefully it will performed just as good as this, this looks really nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

you should slap a 280mm on 240mm or higher cooler on it and see if you can get 5ghz cause that's an amazing bin for first gen skylake. id even recommend a de-lid to see if you can go further on that 120mm cooler. id even buy that off you for 150 - 200 usd as that could beat ryzen chips and some of the 6 core intel chips from coffee lake and easily beat the 4 core ones from kabylake.

The Kraken x61 is a 280mm water cooler. ?

However I am considering delidding, I know how to do it.

I would purchase this stuff...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039RY3MM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=A3V1YGI7AKXHTA&psc=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Jack Rollins said:

The Kraken x61 is a 280mm water cooler. ?

However I am considering delidding, I know how to do it.

I would purchase this stuff...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039RY3MM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=A3V1YGI7AKXHTA&psc=1

right I forgot the 1 meant first gen and the 6 or 5 or 4 meant size cause I have the x62 I assumed that was the smaller one. also go with thermal grizzly cryonought instead as its about the best you can get now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

right I forgot the 1 meant first gen and the 6 or 5 or 4 meant size cause I have the x62 I assumed that was the smaller one. also go with thermal grizzly cryonought instead as its about the best you can get now.

Makes sense.

So I should go for this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Grizzly-conductonaut-compound-10-140°/dp/B01A9KIGSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1540556003&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+grizzly+liquid+metal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Amazonsucks said:

Silicone lottery? That where you win free breast implants?

xD Fixed that. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Delidded. Temps dropped massively.

I am now getting 4.9Ghz at around 1.36v, which I think is a very reasonable voltage for the speed.

Temps now are around 55C, before I was getting around 60C which a voltage of 1.216v

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2018 at 7:13 AM, Jack Rollins said:

Now, I know the 6700k is a fairly old chip and not many people are interested in it now.

However, I was wondering if anyone has had the same results I have.

I have a Asus VIII Hero board, an i7-6700k overclocked to 4.6Ghz, with a Kraken x61.

But the best thing....

It is running at a core voltage of 1.216v.

Now if I am correct, this is a very good voltage to be running at, not delidded.

Does anyone else have an overclock like this, I will be curious to find out.

Capture.PNG

What program stress test did you run and for how long did you stress test ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, gbergeron said:

What program stress test did you run and for how long did you stress test ?

I ran Aida64 for around 30 minutes with no hardware failures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Jack Rollins said:

I ran Aida64 for around 30 minutes with no hardware failures.

While this might be OK for your purposes and fine for your everyday usage, it's nowhere near enough to say whether you won the lottery or not ?

 

Run it longer (at least an hour), run few consecutive Cinebench tests, maybe even some prime95 and some games and then you might be able to say that with more conviction.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jack Rollins said:

I ran Aida64 for around 30 minutes with no hardware failures.

my 6700k can do that too but that doesn't mean anything...

 

AIDA is a potato test.

 

I bet you run OCCT and it fail the stresst test after 30 sec.

 

People nowadays just run aida and think they have stable overclocks xD 

It might be "okay" for the way you use it but I would bet a 100$ that it fails OCCT after less than 5 min

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2018 at 5:38 PM, Jack Rollins said:

Delidded. Temps dropped massively.

I am now getting 4.9Ghz at around 1.36v, which I think is a very reasonable voltage for the speed.

Temps now are around 55C, before I was getting around 60C which a voltage of 1.216v

Sounds amazing, when I get a new cooler I'm gonna push my 2600k as hard as I can. I will hope for the best and see if I can get 4.8 stable.

8086k Winner BABY!!

My tech stuff

 

Main rig

Cpu: R5 1600AF 3.95ghz 1.32v (literally the worst bin I've ever seen)

Mobo: MSI b450 A-Pro MAX

Ram: 16gb Team Group T-Force Xtreem 3600 cl18 (3466 14-14-14-14-28) kinda tuned subs

Gpu: MSI 1080 ti Duke OC

PSU: Bitfenix Formula Gold 650w

SSD: 512gb Inland premium nvme

HDD: 2tb Seagate Barracuda Compute

 

Samsung Galaxy S9 | SD845 | Adreno 640

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, Lathlaer said:

While this might be OK for your purposes and fine for your everyday usage, it's nowhere near enough to say whether you won the lottery or not ?

 

Run it longer (at least an hour), run few consecutive Cinebench tests, maybe even some prime95 and some games and then you might be able to say that with more conviction.

 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, gbergeron said:

my 6700k can do that too but that doesn't mean anything...

 

AIDA is a potato test.

 

I bet you run OCCT and it fail the stresst test after 30 sec.

 

People nowadays just run aida and think they have stable overclocks xD 

It might be "okay" for the way you use it but I would bet a 100$ that it fails OCCT after less than 5 min

Jeez, Guys.

I didn't mean to offend you.

I have run several Cinebench Tests, and the scores are nice. 1034 on the CPU test.

Gaming is also amazing. No stuttering, always extremely smooth.

Prime95 or OCCTwould be a good idea to use and test with, however I don't see the point. I am happy currently, sorry if I seem to have a "fake" overclock.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jack Rollins said:

Jeez, Guys.

I didn't mean to offend you.

I assure you that I am far from being offended ?

 

It's just the testing methodology is crucial if you want answer to the question "did I win the lottery". Answering it requires making certain assumption - that the OC is stable - and to determine that simply more testing is required. 

 

If you are happy with your OC and it is stable for your needs then congrats, by no means is that a fake overclock. Just because I wouldn't be comfortable calling something a golden chip or lottery winner doesn't mean I refuse to acknowledge the OC. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jack Rollins said:

 

Jeez, Guys.

I didn't mean to offend you.

I have run several Cinebench Tests, and the scores are nice. 1034 on the CPU test.

Gaming is also amazing. No stuttering, always extremely smooth.

Prime95 or OCCTwould be a good idea to use and test with, however I don't see the point. I am happy currently, sorry if I seem to have a "fake" overclock.

 

Not offended my friend :) 

Just pointing out, that, many CPU can do what yours do, you don't have a stable overclock, you have a working overclock for what you do :P 

Was just letting you know that if you want to have a stable overclock, you need to stress test a lot more with other programs, and then you would realise that your cpu is normal (i mean maybe ! )

Cheers !

 

( it's possible you have an amazing cpu lotteryu as well, just, the stres test you did, means nothing, but have to say it's looks like its a good one, maybe very good one, but was just answerinhg yout thread question... if you want to really know you would need to test a lot more )

 

Enjoy it !

 

cya

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a friend like you, who shout out " look at my incredible OC " I went at his home, ran OCCT and it crashed after 15 sec.

 

after a couple days he wrote back to me " it took me couple days but I finally got it stable at a much higher voltage, but still okay, and I ran OCCT for 20 hours with no unstability + some other test ! Thanks "

 

:P 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

I had a friend like you, who shout out " look at my incredible OC " I went at his home, ran OCCT and it crashed after 15 sec.

 

after a couple days he wrote back to me " it took me couple days but I finally got it stable at a much higher voltage, but still okay, and I ran OCCT for 20 hours with no unstability + some other test ! Thanks "

 

:P 

I see your point.

I'm going to give OCCT a try, see if I get any problems.

Would rather know that I have a 100% stable overclock.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jack Rollins said:

I see your point.

I'm going to give OCCT a try, see if I get any problems.

Would rather know that I have a 100% stable overclock.

Thanks.

I would say you could try running aida64 for 24 hours, and then occt for 24 hours,

 

if you can pass both test you are kind of bullet proof. Sometimes it says fail and you are sceptic, but try to run it stock, see it will pass a 48 hours stress test eazy with zero error, so a 100% stable OC would need to be the same result

 

Also you should test with other stress test like mentioned, prime95, aida64 which you did, realbench, cinebench, etc.. and also real application like a huge cpu demanding game like BF1 or BF5 or ash of singularity etc..

 

What I like with OCCT is that it hits the cpu hard and as soon as an error is found or a temps limit is reached it auto stop and provide you graphs of when it failed on which core etc.. xD 

 

that being said, this is very picky but the word "Stable" in overclock world if very very large if I can say... hehe xD  

 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×