Turbo Button?

SirGeneral
Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,
4 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

you know those old computers from the 80's (and maybe 90's, I dunno) that had a turbo button on the face of them? disregarding the fact that they actually downclocked the pc for compatibility with older games, could you make a turbo button, either physical or with a keybind like alt+up arrow, that upclocks/overclocks the system? (actually, I guess upclock and overclock are equal words) and what are safe clock levels for a ZOTAC GTX 1050 anyway?

Yes.  Use profiles in Intel XTU and map them to a key combo.  The same can be done with MSI Afterburner for GPUs.  Not sure if this can be done with Ryzen Master.

you know those old computers from the 80's (and maybe 90's, I dunno) that had a turbo button on the face of them? disregarding the fact that they actually downclocked the pc for compatibility with older games, could you make a turbo button, either physical or with a keybind like alt+up arrow, that upclocks/overclocks the system? (actually, I guess upclock and overclock are equal words) and what are safe clock levels for a ZOTAC GTX 1050 anyway?

heck.

4 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

Yes.  Use profiles in Intel XTU and map them to a key combo.  The same can be done with MSI Afterburner for GPUs.  Not sure if this can be done with Ryzen Master.

14 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

Yes some slightly older generation motherboards or GPU's had a hardware buttons to boost the overclock or voltage by a set percentage. As for doing so now as suggested you can configure an overclocked profile and configure a hotkey to toggle it on or off. 

If you wanted a physical button you could buy one of those programmable keypads and just set one of those keys to the overclocking profile. 

11 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

The same can be done with MSI Afterburner for GPUs.

will that work for non-MSI GPUs?

Edited by SirGeneral

heck.

You could also use something like a Pi zero in I/O expansion mode to give yourself a physical turbo button on the case.  This would require more advanced programming and electronics skills.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You could also use something like a Pi zero in I/O expansion mode to give yourself a physical turbo button on the case.  This would require more advanced programming and electronics skills.

5 hours ago, W-L said:

Yes it’s universal for all cards. 

thanks for the help!

what's a safe MHz level to upclock to per upclock for a GPU? because I'm pretty sure I'd fry my GPU by boosting it too much...

heck.

10 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

thanks for the help!

what's a safe MHz level to upclock to per upclock for a GPU? because I'm pretty sure I'd fry my GPU by boosting it too much...

It varies on a case by case basis, you can't put too much voltage through them since they are psychically limited. Worst that can happen if you raise the frequency too high is it crashes since it's unstable.

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

It varies on a case by case basis, you can't put too much voltage through them since they are psychically limited. Worst that can happen if you raise the frequency too high is it crashes since it's unstable.

and if it crashes due to instability it'll reset to default?

heck.

5 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

and if it crashes due to instability it'll reset to default?

Either it will freeze or restore to stock settings on the card, you'll need to test your overclock with a stress test, games, and variety of loads to ensure it's stability.