Old laptop died. Time to seek out something new.

Good afternoon Linus Tech Tips Team, so first off thank you guys for the wonderful videos. I have enjoyed many of them over the last few years and continue looking out for new videos all the time. With that said I watched the student budget laptops video and the best of 2018 video and found niether of them answered my question.

Now by chance I am a student and didnt expect the motherboard on my laptop to burn out some chips. Unfortunatly Asus says the cost to repair the laptop is estimated to be 700 dollars and for that much I might as well get a new laptop. Especially considering the leaps and bounds laptops have come these last few years.

With that said my ideal budget is 1500 dollars. I do 3D cad modeling and also do Model Based System engineering stuff for work. So my first priorety is ensuring I have a laptop that is ideal for these kinds of processes.

I would like to have a minimum of 32 GB of ram, and a 256 GB SSD harddrive. Beyond that I havent the slightest clue whether AMD or raydeon Graphics cards are better.

But, I also do gaming and plan on doing both work, school, and gaming on the lap top. So here is my question:

I am looking at the G515 Dell laptop. The specs look pretty nice and newegg.com has it for a decent price. But, before I make a final decision on what computer to get I wanted to ask you guys and get some input. Is there a better computer I could get for similar cost? I would like a laptop that would stay relitivly cool, since I may be working for hours on end. Or is this the best laptop I could get for this price range?

I think you can only get 8GB of RAM with that model, otherwise the specs are good.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

For $1500 you can get a lot of laptop, as I'm assuming it'll be a desktop replacement battery life should not be a priority. 

With that in mind, you should aim for any laptop with a 1070, especially if your programs can utilize the gpu, though the 32GB RAM requirement might have to be traded for this kind of power.

In short: 1060 + 32GB RAM or 1070 + 16GB RAM; CPU should be any high tdp mobile or low tdp desktop chip (intel 8th gen H series, amd ryzen non "u" series)

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

@Opencircuit74 On the dell website they only sell 16 GB. But the specs can upgrade up to 32 and newegg is selling it with 32. 

However, even though it is good. Do you have any suggestions?

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

2 hours ago, Mike_Tech_questions said:

1500 dollars

Where are you from? Any preference on weight and battery life? Do you need good sRGB display? Do you need Quadro GPU?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Any preference on weight and battery life? Do you need good sRGB display? Do you need Quadro GPU?

So I live in the Alabama area. I don't paticularly care about weight. Battery life is nice, but not nessesary. A good display helps with 3d modelong, and while quadro is great, I have a budget of 1500 dollars. So a lot of the quadro cards are really out of my price range.

1 hour ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Aside from the better screen refreash rate how does it compare in terms of cooling at peak performance? Are thwre other benifits to using this one comoared to the other spec wise? 

HP Omen 17/17t

HP Omen 15 dc

CyberpowerPC Tracer III 15/17 Xtreme VR (TongFang)

Dell G5/G7 with UHD panel

Lenovo Legion Y730 15/17 - 1050TI ONLY

Lenovo Legion Y530 with 300 nits 72% NTSC 60/144Hz IPS panel - on sale now

Be aware of quality issues (can happen in every laptop also):

MSI GP63/GP73

Asus GL703GM/GE

Asus GL503GE

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

14 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

HP Omen 17/17t

HP Omen 15 dc

CyberpowerPC Tracer III 15/17 Xtreme VR (TongFang)

Dell G5/G7 with UHD panel

Lenovo Legion Y730 15/17 - 1050TI ONLY

Lenovo Legion Y530 with 300 nits 72% NTSC 60/144Hz IPS panel - on sale now

Be aware of quality issues (can happen in every laptop also):

MSI GP63/GP73

Asus GL703GM/GE

Asus GL503GE

Is there a paticular order to this info? I am not sure what this list of information is telling me.

5 hours ago, Mike_Tech_questions said:

Is there a paticular order to this info? I am not sure what this list of information is telling me.

Models with good build quality+cooling

Desktop specs:

Spoiler