PC Power Options: Balanced or High Performance?

Go to solution Solved by Xcoool,
4 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

So there IS a reason to switch between profiles, I KNEW IT. I won't be installing an app to do so. That's just another thing to worry about running in the background. While the process is painfully time consuming, it doesn't bother me so much when the performance I get from it is totally worth it. Same with all the other things I do right before I run a game. But thanks for the heads up on the app. It gives me peace of mind in knowing that there IS a reason to switch between power plans. Especially when it comes to gaming and this topic of discussion.

It comes down to your rig,with new highend systems there is no much point.With less powerful hardware or older stuff,switching profiles can improve your experience.

Which benefits gaming? It's come to my attention that this option changes the minimum and maximum processor state of my CPU(among other things), supposedly when it's performing minimal tasks(not gaming). So I think I may have answered my own question. However, I would like to hear from multiple people their take on this because multiple people seem to believe one or the other favors gaming. I don't know what to think except the new news that has been brought to my attention and that is the following:

Power Option Set to Balanced:

• Minimum Processor State: 5%
  • Maximum Processor State: 100%

Power Option Set to High Performance:

• Minimum Processor State: 99%
  • Maximum Processor State: 99%

It seems that if I set it to High Performance, my energy bill will be higher and my CPU will be heated for no reason all the time. Is this true? I've read all about this all over the internet and I basically take everything with a grain of salt because it's such mixed results. Some people say putting both on 99%(high performance) or both on 100%(custom), gives them a big time boost in fps, like 15 fps. I used to think this was true but I'm beginning to think it's not.

I had this setting set to High Performance for a good year now but I've changed it to balanced because it seems the right thing to do. Could someone sort this out please. Try not to get too technical.

You know you can change the minimum and max anyway. If you are a stock bios kinda guy just go balanced. 

Wont add much heat using performance mode. As the usage won’t change. But if those few watts really matter why not just use power saver instead. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 10/24/2018 at 8:05 AM, Mick Naughty said:

You know you can change the minimum and max anyway. If you are a stock bios kinda guy just go balanced. 

Wont add much heat using performance mode. As the usage won’t change. But if those few watts really matter why not just use power saver instead.

Well after going balanced, for some reason my CPU heats up more. I played BF1 for a good 2-3 matches in balanced mode and my CPU temp was going over 60, hitting 58-61 degrees. I then changed it to high performance and like magic the CPU never even went over 53 degrees. It stayed between 50-53 for a good 5 matches. 2 matches in which were on the exact same maps that hit over 60 degrees when in balanced mode. I repeated this entire process twice and the results were almost identical.

I've been gaming on high performance for years without issues so this temp issue when it's on balanced has me leaning towards high performance benefiting gaming obviously. In fact, when I put it to balanced and my CPU went over 60 degrees, that was the first time my CPU has ever got that hot, ever. And I've been gaming on this PC almost 2 years now. So it's high performance from here on out in my PC. No wonder so many people recommend high performance for gaming. Now I agree with them.

9 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Well after going balanced, for some reason my CPU heats up more. I played BF1 for a good 2-3 matches in balanced mode and my CPU temp was going over 60, hitting 58-61 degrees. I then changed it to high performance and like magic the CPU never even went over 53 degrees. It stayed between 50-53 for a good 5 matches. 2 matches in which were on the exact same maps that hit over 60 degrees when in balanced mode. I repeated this entire process twice and the results were almost identical.

I've been gaming on high performance for years without issues so this temp issue when it's on balanced has me leaning towards high performance benefiting gaming obviously. In fact, when I put it to balanced and my CPU went over 60 degrees, that was the first time my CPU has ever got that hot, ever. And I've been gaming on this PC almost 2 years now. So it's high performance from here on out in my PC. No wonder so many people recommend high performance for gaming. Now I agree with them.

Well newest gen processor works directly with windows power modes.If you select balance mode windows can change processor state  depending on load in real time.If set to high performance processor is always kept in max power state with the highest frequency available.That is probably why you can see difference in temps while playing.Windows under-clock processor,or just keep at lower state.Fps wise there is some difference between those 2 profiles but it is within 5 fps approx.I use balance mode all the time as it does lower consumption quite a bit while browsing net and in other light thread-ed apps.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

10 hours ago, Xcoool said:

I use balance mode all the time as it does lower consumption quite a bit while browsing net and in other light thread-ed apps.

What I might do is set it to balanced and before I play a game, change it back to high performance. It might be a tedious process but I already do a few tedious processes right before starting up a game. Thanks for the info.

15 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

What I might do is set it to balanced and before I play a game, change it back to high performance. It might be a tedious process but I already do a few tedious processes right before starting up a game. Thanks for the info.

Here is a program, which should make that process much easier.Cause switching power profiles in recent windows builds is painfully time consuming process :D.

https://www.intowindows.com/power-plan-switcher-quickly-change-power-plan-in-windows-10-from-taskbar/

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

17 minutes ago, Xcoool said:

Here is a program

So there IS a reason to switch between profiles, I KNEW IT. I won't be installing an app to do so. That's just another thing to worry about running in the background. While the process is painfully time consuming, it doesn't bother me so much when the performance I get from it is totally worth it. Same with all the other things I do right before I run a game. But thanks for the heads up on the app. It gives me peace of mind in knowing that there IS a reason to switch between power plans. Especially when it comes to gaming and this topic of discussion.

4 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

It comes down to your rig,with new highend systems there is no much point.With less powerful hardware or older stuff,switching profiles can improve your experience.