do I need a powerful cpu for small file server/ rendering server

thegoogler

I am planning to build a master and slave single pc server for occasional rendering for buildings and just for normal file storage but am wondering if I am going to use a 970 or a Low ish TDP GPU like a quadro for rendering or a more power hungry card like a tesla gpu?

do I need a good powerful cpu to handle it or like mining rigs that just have a pentium and 5 rx580's does it just matter how powerful the GPU is??

I want to know so that I can know if I can buy a cheap 35/20w dual core cpu and user the rest of the spare wattage on other stuff or should I just go cpu only and get a 8/10 core intel xeon e5-2650/ 2650v2 etc and have a very low power gpu to assist?

What software and render engine?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

As usual, which hardware you need depends on the software you're going to use. Some software runs considerably faster on a workstation card, some software doesn't care, and some software actually prefers CPU rendering. 

So, which software?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

To me it honestly seems like you have no idea what you are doing, so you shouldn't do it. 

If you don't even know what kind of resources your programs need, then you should start on getting more information about that first. 

After, you should look into the differences between GTX, Quadro and Tesla, as they are all meant for different scenarios. Tesla even more so. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, brob said:

What software and render engine?

I am using blender open GL or CL rendering, sorry I forgot to mention it

Just now, FloRolf said:

To me it honestly seems like you have no idea what you are doing, so you shouldn't do it. 

If you don't even know what kind of resources your programs need, then you should start on getting more information about that. 

I know what I need I just don't quite know how to form the question I need to be able to remotely render from blender when I am at college and I need to be able to backup files from college so I want to build a server which is low TDP but am wondering what I should allocate more power to.. I hope that makes more sense

Would you explain why TDP is so important to you please?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Would you explain why TDP is so important to you please?

ok in Australia power is expensive it is 0.25 AUD per kilowatt hour 

6 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

ok in Australia power is expensive it is 0.25 AUD per kilowatt hour 

kW is 1000 W, typical computer can use about 250-350 W in stress, so it's max 0.35 kWh per hour, it's about 1 kWh per 3 hours. So 8 hours of using computer is 2,6 kWh, so it's 0,65 AUD. I don't think is that much, especially if you're not using it at 100% CPU power all the time.

ok maybe I messed up something, i don't know but yeah I want to spend as little on power for it as possible