Mantle = 45% better performance

AMD's claims are so tall, that even a 512 stream processor-laden A10-7850K APU could offer acceptable frame-rates at 1080p, while a $299 Radeon R9 280X could run circles around a $650 GeForce GTX 780 Ti at this particular game.

I think TechPowerUp is being a little ridiculous here in interpreting AMD's marketing claim. I don't believe anybody's expecting a 45% increase in fps across every AMD GPU, including the high end ones.

On a side note, does anybody know if Thief is supposed to support Mantle on launch? If so, at this point I'm wondering if it'll beat BF4 in being the first Mantle-ready title...

then lets hope for it to close up to the 780ti 

IMO 290X is not worth it...but hi im probably going to get yelled at now 

No high end card is really worth it.  You could say the same thing about 780ti.  Best bang for the buck is always around the $200 - $300 mark.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Hmm I wonder if it would scale. For instance 45% boost with one 290x. I have two (but i also have a 8350 clocked to 4.8 so not an APU).... i wonder how much of a hit we will take not being on an APU and i also wonder how people running Intel + 290/s performance will go. or is it only supported with a full AMD system?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

"On AMD A10-7850K APU + R9 290X"  sneaky EA

more like sneaky AMD AFAIK EA never used benchmarks to promote a game 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i also wonder how people running Intel + 290/s performance will go. or is it only supported with a full AMD system?

You just need a GCN GPU for Mantle, whether it be discreet or an APU. An Intel + 290 would work.

I don't know why they even bother with this mantle. I can already play this game maxed out, I mean my PC is going on 3 years old. what gives?

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

I don't know why they even bother with this mantle. I can already play this game maxed out, I mean my PC is going on 3 years old. what gives?

So because it doesn't benefit you, they shouldn't bother with it? Kind of narrow minded don't you think?

Mantle isn't about giving a performance boost.

It enables more Draw Calls.

That means you can have more Objects with independent physics at once.

With Mantle you could make a game like Battlefield 4 with real time destruction, but with DirectX you can't.

It would also allow more players at once without breaking the frame rate.

DirectX is a software bottleneck that holds you GPU and CPU back.

RTX2070OC 

How many times does this rumor of performance boost need to be posted in the forums? *rubs temples and goes for a beer.*

So because it doesn't benefit you, they shouldn't bother with it? Kind of narrow minded don't you think?

lol I was just joking around, I wanted to see how many people would be bothered by my comment. Don't take it to heart :)

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Mantle should, if implemented correctly by the game developer, practically eliminate the "lowest FPS" spikes that occur when explosions or other physically and graphically intense events happen. So if you had a maximum frame-rate of 80 FPS, instead of dropping to around 20 for a couple of seconds when something goes boom, it would drop to around 70-75 FPS instead.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Mantle should, if implemented correctly by the game developer, practically eliminate the "lowest FPS" spikes that occur when explosions or other physically and graphically intense events happen. So if you had a maximum frame-rate of 80 FPS, instead of dropping to around 20 for a couple of seconds when something goes boom, it would drop to around 70-75 FPS instead.

please read the post right above yours :)

"On AMD A10-7850K APU + R9 290X"  sneaky EA

All things held equal, a 45% increase with a discrete video card should translate into a 45% increase with any lower tier video card. Again all things being equal except for a change in the API. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

ofcourse APUs are going to be faster then CPUs in terms of gaming, it's common sense. There's a reason to why most people would recommend a APU over just a CPU mainly because it has allot better integrated GPU so i'd say subtract the percentage a APU would be faster then a regular CPU to have fair results.

I think TechPowerUp is being a little ridiculous here in interpreting AMD's marketing claim. I don't believe anybody's expecting a 45% increase in fps across every AMD GPU, including the high end ones.

On a side note, does anybody know if Thief is supposed to support Mantle on launch? If so, at this point I'm wondering if it'll beat BF4 in being the first Mantle-ready title...

Oh dear god I want thief. And mantle. My 7970 is ready!

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

am i the only one who doesn't like directx??

Does anyone really like DirectX at this point?

YAWN KAVERI

Here's the pitch:

"Mantle is 45% faster for gaming!*"

*On integrated graphics, compared to Intel.

Then they put a CGI bimbo in red latex on the box and hope nobody notices the fine print.

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

It's not actually 45% better performance compare to DirectX?

And they again only compare to the i5 from last generation?

am i the only one who doesn't like directx??

Why do you think that? O_o

The comparison to the 4670K is obviously bs but i like the comparison of the APU in DirectX vs Mantle. (10 FPS vs 30). Very impressive. That makes APUs really worth buying.

who cares...

Yeah… Biased as hell. Bring me the 290X which beats the 780ti and I´ll believe it :)

So extra 60$ for 8 frames

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone really like DirectX at this point?

Direct X has given us a lot till now...now its time for getting its ass-kicked...lol... :lol: