RTX and who are these people?

The RTX launched had me looking through comments on YouTube, they complain that the pricing of the RTX cards are too expensive for them, and I became quite curious.

A. Who are these guys with 10-series cards, and upgrading to 20-series for these reasons:

1. MP (multi-player) games like CSGO, Overwatch, PUBG. They are running some details at the lowest settings, and still managed to get 60fps+.
  2. They just bought it when they knew that the 20-series is just right around (1-3 months old).

B. Where's your savings when you are holding a 3-4 year old cards from either team?

C. This is hard to explain but they basically, were not satisfied with a high end card, and purchase every release high end card like nobody.

The first A point. I have friends who are gamers too, they told me that they are playing PUBG, CSGO, DOTA2. Just for curiosity sake, I asked them if they will be playing single player, 3A games, and few of them said just one or twice, not all day. Those really have knowledge into PC building, they even stated that they played PUBG and CSGO with the so-called competitive graphical settings. With that in mind, I recommend them getting an i5-8400 (AMD equivalent tier is R5 14/500) with a 1060/70.

Sure, there are two of them, with my cousin who streams that stopped me saying that they do stream, and suggest getting a better CPU, but I counter them that I do record gameplay footage, but I don't use the CPU, I use i/dGPU. I even go to my cousin's house to lend my system for a day to stream.

1. Stream with his PC, i5-2320, but with my 1070. Streaming software is OBS to Twitch, using QS and NVENC with Twitch recommended settings. I asked him to play Overwatch, because it's a fast pace FPS, and there's really no difference at all. Plus, thinking of AMD Ryzen launch demo, no one is going to scrutinise every frame that you are streaming.
  2. Stream with my PC, i7-6700K with 1070, same thing, hard to tell the difference between the two.

Although, I note that there's a quality difference between the Intel HD 2000 and 530. The 530 fairs better, it was less blocky, when moving from a screen full of the same colour to a more abstract scene (wall to an intense fight).

The second A point, I mean, can't you get a temporary graphics card? I had a GTX 570 since 2012, and eagerly waiting for June 2016. So on February, I purchased a second hand 750Ti for $70. Once I got my 1070, I basically could sell the 750Ti, but I decided to keep it as a spare part. I already saved $2-3K for a 1080, but retail, they were all out of stock. I decided to get the 1070 FE (close to $1k during launch month), since it was colour neutral, and that FE shroud, it just screams premium, with a first look, without you doubting it, it screams it's metal, the only plastic part is the window heatsink and fan. I could get a 1070 aftermarket, but to me, they were ugly and long. Triple fans, and not-so-colour neutral.

This sounds really weird, but I prefer having my system stable, so I do lower the power limit of my 1070 to 70%, my 6700K is not OC, I just bought it because of its OoTB higher clock speed than the 6700. Even if I OC it, I probably just make it from 40 to 41. The motherboard: Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, what do I have to say? It's colour neutral, and 7+1 USB ports. There's the Z170A-Pro, but it's not like the Z77A-G45 and Z77A-G45 Gaming, where the only difference is the Killer Ethernet, Audio and Lucid Virtu MvP, but the Z77A-G45 Gaming doesn't exist yet (it's not out of stock, just doesn't exist yet) during my purchase. I could go with a H170 or B150 chipset, but there's something odd about the motherboard. It doesn't feel like they swap the Z170 with a H170, they really did a whole lot to the board. Finally, the RAM is running at XMP.

I digress. Continuing, unless the 20-series is a surprised launched, I really feel bad for you.

The second point A can be said for point B. I had a 570, a 5-6 year old card, I was able to save up a purchase a 1070. Even if I had taken the another route, waiting the graphics card after 10-series, I would have done the same thing, during launch month, I purchase a 2080. Currently, the cheapest 2080, dual fan, and colour neutral is the same price as a 1080 FE/Aftermarket during launch, 1.2-1.5K, the expensive is 2.2K. Plus, who bought a new card, of a new series, which is less than 3 months old? I recommend to my friends, who are eyeing on an upgrade from an older generation of cards (like 6/700 series) to a new one, to wait for 6 months, within 6 months, AMD or Nvidia could fork out a sweet spot card, or even if they are still eyeing on a high end card, it's probably that the price drop significantly (before the mining craze start, Aftermarket 1070 were like $600-800).

Point C : That's like saying, I have a Ford Mustang 2018, and Ford is releasing a Mustang 19, there's little difference in the exterior, but they got some minor add-on which is not available on the 2018 model, I have to immediately upgrade my Mustang 18 to the 19, even the HP increase is just 50 BHP.

I have a 1070, and basically happy with it, no point in upgrading. Productivity apps still do not support GPU RT only, it's a mixed of CPU+GPU, Adobe is very slow at adopting new technology (e.g. Premiere has QS support, which they could have implemented it a long time ago since 2011/12) (Photoshop has 3D option and ray tracing, but it's using CPU). I would upgrade to the 20-series, if there are productivity app that supports RT fully on the GPU, and the RT gains are worth the cost.

To end off:

I am surprised that the 2070 is no longer a 4K entry card, but rather a 4K capable card, and the 2080Ti can handle 4K easily, which to me, is impressive. The 1080Ti was just capable. For the competition, AMD, means that the RX 580 maybe fighting up against the 2050/60, instead of 2070 in tier-to-tier comparison.

4 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

For the competition, AMD, means that the RX 580 maybe fighting up against the 2050/60, instead of 2070 in tier-to-tier comparison.

The RX 580 won't be against the 2060 because a) it's already competing against 1060 and b) because AMD won't just ignore putting out a new product by that time.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Stream with his PC, i5-2320, but with my 1070. Streaming software is OBS to Twitch, using QS and NVENC with Twitch recommended settings. I asked him to play Overwatch, because it's a fast pace FPS, and there's really no difference at all. Plus, thinking of AMD Ryzen launch demo, no one is going to scrutinise every frame that you are streaming.

I'm just gonna attack this one small thing here-

NVENC is just a solution if you're looking to stream only. It's really not great great when it comes to quality vs bitrate, which is terrible for archiving videos. It's much better to cpu encode your recorded streams. This can also be a problem if you simply want to stream and record different settings as well- a lot of people stream with NVENC and record with CPU encoding of some kind. I can archive game footage at about 1GiB an hour with CPU encoding at decent quality. I've yet to find a way to do that with NVENC. This is why I have a dedicated streaming and recording PC, I don't want to record everything in high NVENC bitrate and dump into handbrake all the time. (that and I record up to three players)

When you're looking for a "streaming PC", you're looking for a couple of extra cores to help you cpu encode. (Smarter thing is just to use your old hardware though). I always thought you should have 2 more cores than you need to game comfortably anyway- export that video or render that blender while gaming. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

We have 4k capable cards since Maxwell, if only people would stop obsessing about Ultra settings...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

We have 4k capable cards since Maxwell, if only people would stop obsessing about Ultra settings...

Pretty much. If I had more time, I'd make a website and youtube purely dedicated to medium/ "tuned" benchmarks. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The second A point, I mean, can't you get a temporary graphics card?

I just ordered a friend  a kick ass PC, but we're just dropping a used 970 in it. Was 110$, 125 with shipping. 

He'll probably upgrade in a while to another sub 200$ option. It's really where its at. 

muh specs 

All parts black

28 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

A. Who are these guys with 10-series cards, and upgrading to 20-series for these reasons:

1. MP (multi-player) games like CSGO, Overwatch, PUBG. They are running some details at the lowest settings, and still managed to get 60fps+.
  2. They just bought it when they knew that the 20-series is just right around (1-3 months old).

they rich

28 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

B. Where's your savings when you are holding a 3-4 year old cards from either team?

if the old card is fast enough, then you save that money for a new card

29 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

C. This is hard to explain but they basically, were not satisfied with a high end card, and purchase every release high end card like nobody.

money money money money is what they have, and attention is what they want

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

35 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

These people just want the latest and greatest thing and money is either no object or they don't have good command of it.

35 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

Assuming this is two-three generations, then you're just saving the amount of money you would've spent on the card you would've purchased. If you like buying high-end cards, then you're spending $600-$800 every 3-4 years instead of every 1-2.

However you can sell off your old card, so if they go that route, then that lessens the amount of money they'd have to spend all things considered

25 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I would also add "and demanding 60 FPS all the time every time", but I feel that's throwing rocks at a hornet's nest.