Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

100% disk usage on new pc

Sammm
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Windows is likely performing updates in the background since it's a new install.
Additionally, 4GB of RAM is insufficient and you will be relying on page file constantly. Check your RAM usage in task manager.

So I finally built my pc and downloaded the following discord, winrar,ccleaner, twitch, obs, epic games, fortnite, Minecraft, Java, steam and of course chrome. When I opened up the internet my task manager started showing 100% disk usage. I built my pc no longer then 10 hours ago. What do I do? Btw my first build so I’m a noob... 

 

parts

4gb ram

1tb hdd

Geforce gtx 1050 (drivers installed)

amd ryzen 3 1200

ga ab350m ds3h

500w power supply

vivo smart micro atx case

coolermaster hyper t2 and 2 system fans

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

with no ssd and windows 10 , yeah that's going to be your norm , windows 10 along with most apps these days will cripple a system like that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows is likely performing updates in the background since it's a new install.
Additionally, 4GB of RAM is insufficient and you will be relying on page file constantly. Check your RAM usage in task manager.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Windows is likely performing updates in the background since it's a new install.
Additionally, 4GB of RAM is insufficient and you will be relying on page file constantly. Check your RAM usage in task manager.

Ram usage is actually pretty good and I’m gonna add more ram soon. But your probably right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The hdd is your problem. A ssd would make a huge difference.

 

Also whats using disk? If its near boot then its doing things like starting tasks and building the ram cache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The hdd is your problem. A ssd would make a huge difference.

 

Also whats using disk? If its near boot then its doing things like starting tasks and building the ram cache.

Prob Bc it’s a new pc it’s doing background updates so ima say it’s solved

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sammm said:

Prob Bc it’s a new pc it’s doing background updates so ima say it’s solved

can you get a ssd? That would make your system much faster and there getting cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The hdd is your problem. A ssd would make a huge difference.

 

Also whats using disk? If its near boot then its doing things like starting tasks and building the ram cache.

I agree that an SSD will make a huge difference with booting and loading programs.  However, the HDD won't cause the CPU to hit 100%.  As an example, my home media PC uses a 2.5" 5400RPM HDD and Windows 10 64-bit, and the Core i3 CPU rarely hits a high percentage even when streaming high quality HD video.  It even ran fine on 4GB of memory, and I only upgraded that to 8GB so it could handle some games more smoothly.

 

The issue is more likely all the Windows updates that happen with a new build, especially since the latest major update was released recently.  If the PC is still running slow even after installing the updates and rebooting a couple times, then there might be a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

I agree that an SSD will make a huge difference with booting and loading programs.  However, the HDD won't cause the CPU to hit 100%.  As an example, my home media PC uses a 2.5" 5400RPM HDD and Windows 10 64-bit, and the Core i3 CPU rarely hits a high percentage even when streaming high quality HD video.  It even ran fine on 4GB of memory, and I only upgraded that to 8GB so it could handle some games more smoothly.

 

The issue is more likely all the Windows updates that happen with a new build, especially since the latest major update was released recently.  If the PC is still running slow even after installing the updates and rebooting a couple times, then there might be a problem.

I have downloaded all updates I noticed and rebooted many times though. Also vivo smart micro atx case is awesome :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sammm said:

I have downloaded all updates I noticed and rebooted many times though. Also vivo smart micro atx case is awesome :)

We're glad you like the case! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×