100% disk usage on new pc

Sammm
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Windows is likely performing updates in the background since it's a new install.
Additionally, 4GB of RAM is insufficient and you will be relying on page file constantly. Check your RAM usage in task manager.

So I finally built my pc and downloaded the following discord, winrar,ccleaner, twitch, obs, epic games, fortnite, Minecraft, Java, steam and of course chrome. When I opened up the internet my task manager started showing 100% disk usage. I built my pc no longer then 10 hours ago. What do I do? Btw my first build so I’m a noob... 

parts

4gb ram

1tb hdd

Geforce gtx 1050 (drivers installed)

amd ryzen 3 1200

ga ab350m ds3h

500w power supply

vivo smart micro atx case

coolermaster hyper t2 and 2 system fans

with no ssd and windows 10 , yeah that's going to be your norm , windows 10 along with most apps these days will cripple a system like that

Windows is likely performing updates in the background since it's a new install.
Additionally, 4GB of RAM is insufficient and you will be relying on page file constantly. Check your RAM usage in task manager.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Ram usage is actually pretty good and I’m gonna add more ram soon. But your probably right.

The hdd is your problem. A ssd would make a huge difference.

Also whats using disk? If its near boot then its doing things like starting tasks and building the ram cache.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also whats using disk? If its near boot then its doing things like starting tasks and building the ram cache.

Prob Bc it’s a new pc it’s doing background updates so ima say it’s solved

Just now, Sammm said:

Prob Bc it’s a new pc it’s doing background updates so ima say it’s solved

can you get a ssd? That would make your system much faster and there getting cheap.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I agree that an SSD will make a huge difference with booting and loading programs.  However, the HDD won't cause the CPU to hit 100%.  As an example, my home media PC uses a 2.5" 5400RPM HDD and Windows 10 64-bit, and the Core i3 CPU rarely hits a high percentage even when streaming high quality HD video.  It even ran fine on 4GB of memory, and I only upgraded that to 8GB so it could handle some games more smoothly.

The issue is more likely all the Windows updates that happen with a new build, especially since the latest major update was released recently.  If the PC is still running slow even after installing the updates and rebooting a couple times, then there might be a problem.

10 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

I agree that an SSD will make a huge difference with booting and loading programs.  However, the HDD won't cause the CPU to hit 100%.  As an example, my home media PC uses a 2.5" 5400RPM HDD and Windows 10 64-bit, and the Core i3 CPU rarely hits a high percentage even when streaming high quality HD video.  It even ran fine on 4GB of memory, and I only upgraded that to 8GB so it could handle some games more smoothly.

The issue is more likely all the Windows updates that happen with a new build, especially since the latest major update was released recently.  If the PC is still running slow even after installing the updates and rebooting a couple times, then there might be a problem.

I have downloaded all updates I noticed and rebooted many times though. Also vivo smart micro atx case is awesome :)

11 hours ago, Sammm said:

I have downloaded all updates I noticed and rebooted many times though. Also vivo smart micro atx case is awesome :)

We're glad you like the case! ?