...what is this?

Xanthe_2871

IMG_20181014_164109963.thumb.jpg.1eedca4e7d63b3ed75f6dbb3ed4511ca.jpg

From what I gather it's something from the VGA days that goes in an optical drive slot, and does something to the graphics card to boost it. Does it have some processing in it? Does it do something to the power, like actual electrical power? What does it do exactly, and is it worth half off $35?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special.聽-_-

Looks like it's probably either some weird small form factor PSU, or some kind of supplementary PSU you could add to your rig if your main PSU couldn't power four GTX 280's or something like that.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Wtf. A addtional PSU for the CD drive to power your GPU.

yeah , it was made for proprietary oem systems that used non standard power supplies like dell

It's a power supply.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven聽 聽minimalist white and black PC聽 聽 聽Old S340 build log "White Heaven"聽 聽 聽 聽聽The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log聽 聽 聽 聽 Project AntiRoll (prototype)聽 聽 聽 聽 Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X聽|聽AMD Vega Frontier Edition聽|聽ASUS X570 Pro WS聽|聽Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB聽|聽NZXT H500聽|聽Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700聽|聽Custom loop聽|聽Coolermaster SK630 White聽|聽Logitech MX Master 2S聽|Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB聽|Samsung 58" 4k TV|Scarlett 2i4|2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

yeah , it was made for proprietary oem systems that used non standard power supplies like dell

Oh, interesting! But it doesn't get it's own power from the wall, it just adapts whatever options are there for the 6 or 8 pin a graphics card needs?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special.聽-_-

4 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Oh, interesting! But it doesn't get it's own power from the wall, it just adapts whatever options are there for the 6 or 8 pin a graphics card needs?

oh no , it's literally聽an extra power supply that pulls from the wall thats fits in a bay

5 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

It does plug into the wall.

From the back.

Image result for booster x5 power

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven聽 聽minimalist white and black PC聽 聽 聽Old S340 build log "White Heaven"聽 聽 聽 聽聽The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log聽 聽 聽 聽 Project AntiRoll (prototype)聽 聽 聽 聽 Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X聽|聽AMD Vega Frontier Edition聽|聽ASUS X570 Pro WS聽|聽Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB聽|聽NZXT H500聽|聽Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700聽|聽Custom loop聽|聽Coolermaster SK630 White聽|聽Logitech MX Master 2S聽|Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB聽|Samsung 58" 4k TV|Scarlett 2i4|2x AT2020

On 10/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, Enderman said:

It does plug into the wall.

From the back.

Image result for booster x5 power

Very interesting! So you'd have an extra power cable running out of your computer. Not pretty but better than nothing for someone in that situation.

So I guess the last question is, now in 2018 is this device worth the $34.99 Goodwill wants for it? It's used and from the VGA era, even if it fits current cards it's age should be factored in... ?

12 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Very interesting! So you'd have an extra power cable running out of your computer. Not pretty but better than nothing for someone in that situation.

So I guess the last question is, now in 2018 is this device worth the $34.99 Goodwill wants for it? It's used and from the VGA era, even if it fits current cards it's age should be factored in... ?

I would never plug anything into that thing.

Spoiler