KVM Switch for 2 Computers and 1 Monitor

Shannon McConnell

I have a Laptop and a Desktop and I just purchased an Acer Predator 2560x1440 Monitor and older Boss speakers with Bass and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I am looking for a switch that would swap all of the peripherals plus the display at the same time between computers. The Monitor has a display port and an HDMI port. I need to use the display port for my gaming desktop to get the best quality picture. My laptop dock has a display port and HDMI so I had intended to use the HDMI port for the laptop. I was looking for a switch that would share the keyboard and mouse when I realized that it looks like you can use the same type of switch to swap which computer displays on the monitor at the same time. I'm a bit confused on what exactly I would need to accomplish this or how it actually works. The KVM switches I have looked at appear to have in connections for the computers but not matching out connections for the monitor and they have either Display Port or HDMI but not both (Do I need 2 out connections or just 1?)

Any suggestions on what I would need for a minimum 2k display and wireless peripherals?

Thanks for your help.

Most KVM switches won't convert video, they usually only switch video.  It sounds like your laptop, desktop, and monitor all support display port.  So, all it appears you need is a KVM with display port.