32-64bit

WeedIsMySin

No, it happens on games and other programs that aren't specifically designed for 64 bit operating systems, if I remember correctly. Your games should still work just fine.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

U may not be able to use more than 4gigs of ram and your cpu might be underutilised but otherwise its fine

3 minutes ago, bobbytommerson said:

U may not be able to use more than 4gigs of ram and your cpu might be underutilised but otherwise its fine

Thats a shame considering i have an 8700k and 16GB ram lol

@bobbytommerson Whilst that information is correct for users running 32-bit versions of Windows, that is incorrect for @WeedIsMySin. They have a 64-bit OS, therefore can use the full 16GB of RAM.

64-bit Windows can run 32-bit applications. Company of Heroes 2 has been made as a 32-bit application, which is why it shows up like that in Task Manager.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

1 minute ago, chiller15 said:

@bobbytommerson Whilst that information is correct for users running 32-bit versions of Windows, that is incorrect for @WeedIsMySin. They have a 64-bit OS, therefore can use the full 16GB of RAM.

64-bit Windows can run 32-bit applications. Company of Heroes 2 has been made as a 32-bit application, which is why it shows up like that in Task Manager.

just a question for my knowledge too, if i run a x64 system with a x86 program, will it run with the full 16 gigs or not?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

just a question for my knowledge too, if i run a x64 system with a x86 program, will it run with the full 16 gigs or not?

That specific app will be limited to 4GB of RAM but the rest of the system can use all of it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's really not an issue because if it's a 32 bit app it was never meant to use more then 4Gb anyway.

12 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

That specific app will be limited to 4GB of RAM but the rest of the system can use all of it.

Which is 100% fine as X86 applications would only be programmed to address 3.5GBs of RAM in total anyway.

@LukeSavenije

Without getting into to much detail Windows X64 contains what is essentially a Windows X86 emulator inside of it, whenever a 32 bit application tries to run WOW64 seamlessly takes over and handles the translation of information between the 64 bit OS and the 32 bit application.

For more details read - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

25 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Oh thanks for the info

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Which is 100% fine as X86 applications would only be programmed to address 3.5GBs of RAM in total anyway.

@LukeSavenije

Without getting into to much detail Windows X64 contains what is essentially a Windows X86 emulator inside of it, whenever a 32 bit application tries to run WOW64 seamlessly takes over and handles the translation of information between the 64 bit OS and the 32 bit application.

For more details read - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

Yes, although it should be noted that the major players like Google and others are actively killing off 32 Bit support.

At this point in time, the only reason I could see for keeping 32 Bit app support alive is because ARMv8 CPUs can't emulate x86-64.

That is slowly becoming less and less relevant as Microsoft is adding native ARM64 support to certain development frameworks/platforms.

If anybody is running Windows in 2018 with 2GB RAM or less then they should upgrade or replace the system and move on.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

By default, 32-bit applications on Windows are limited to 2GB of user addressable space. If the application has been compiled with a flag, then that bumps up to 3GB for 32-bit Windows and the full 4GB in 64-bit Windows. Basically unless the application was compiled with said flag, the application can only use 2GB of memory before it crashes due to an "out of memory" error (well, it may not crash if it can handle it gracefully)

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/memory/memory-limits-for-windows-releases

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

By default, 32-bit applications on Windows are limited to 2GB of user addressable space. If the application has been compiled with a flag, then that bumps up to 3GB for 32-bit Windows and the full 4GB in 64-bit Windows. Basically unless the application was compiled with said flag, the application can only use 2GB of memory before it crashes due to an "out of memory" error (well, it may not crash if it can handle it gracefully)

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/memory/memory-limits-for-windows-releases

Soo, 2G of ram is the most my system uses for this game? Is there anything i can do to make this game use my systems recources to its fullest potential?

Just now, WeedIsMySin said:

Soo, 2G of ram is the most my system uses for this game? Is there anything i can do to make this game use my systems recources to its fullest potential?

No, because it's a compile-time thing. So unless you have access to the source code and the dev tools to recompile it, you're stuck with what you got.

51 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

Is there anything i can do to make the game use all of my systems recources?

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There's a difference between reservable space and addressable space.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If anybody is running Windows in 2018 with 2GB RAM or less then they should upgrade or replace the system and move on.

My Windows tablet only has 2GB of RAM... I can't upgrade it. But it does the job for what I need it for... as in never actually using it. (well, once every 6 months I may use it to read a book or something I guess...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 10/11/2018 at 2:33 PM, WeedIsMySin said:

Is there anything i can do to make the game use all of my systems recources?

Not really. If game is well optimized, it will use only the resources it needs and use them to fullest. As user you can only prioritize process to allow it to go in front of the process queue. However that shouldn't be issue as Windows prioritizes active window anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv