SUPER LOW FPS! HIGH-END PC! HELP!

Nate1
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
1 minute ago, Nate1 said:

R u sure this is the problem, i dont want to have to buy new ram if its not the case. Also whats the recommended ram speed?

You need to sell your current ram to get 2x8GB (and perhaps higher speed), and your motherboard is literally the cheapest possible. Consider replacing it with a b250 or h270.

You call your system a "high end" system but it's got some serious budget parts in it.

I've recently noticed that my fps in games has been way lower than other people with pc's with the same specs.

PC SPECS:

CPU: i7 7700k 4.2ghz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb

RAM: 1x16gb DDR4 2400mhz

MOTHERBOARD: GA-H110m-a

So far I've tried turning off game dvr, all drivers updated (gpu, bios), nvidia highlights off and more. I switched to a friends gtx 1060 6gb to test if the fps would be different, its the exact same. So im going to assume its not a gpu problem, but im not sure. In CS:GO i get around 150 fps on minimum settings compared to the same spec computers averaging almost 300 fps average on max settings and in Fortnite i cant even get over 200 fps. Please help, if you have any ideas please let me know.

Single channel ram, terrible VRMs leading to bad CPU frequencies, low ram speed, yeah this is a recipe for disaster.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Single channel ram, terrible VRMs leading to bad CPU frequencies, low ram speed, yeah this is a recipe for disaster.

R u sure this is the problem, i dont want to have to buy new ram if its not the case. Also whats the recommended ram speed?

You need to sell your current ram to get 2x8GB (and perhaps higher speed), and your motherboard is literally the cheapest possible. Consider replacing it with a b250 or h270.

You call your system a "high end" system but it's got some serious budget parts in it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Agreed. If you don't want to go through the hassle of selling your ram, you could just buy a 2nd duplicate memory module to give you dual channel.

12 minutes ago, Nate1 said:

in Fortnite i cant even get over 200 fps.

why would you ever want/need 200 fps in a game?

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Does the motherboard really affect performance?

Just now, Nate1 said:

Does the motherboard really affect performance?

oh yes indeed. How would there be 4 tiers if it didn't?

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

Agreed. If you don't want to go through the hassle of selling your ram, you could just buy a 2nd duplicate memory module to give you dual channel.

why would you ever want/need 200 fps in a game?

I stream and it goes down to nearly 60 fps, compared to my friend with the same specs and he can stream while staying constantly about 120 fps.

Just now, Nate1 said:

I stream and it goes down to nearly 60 fps, compared to my friend with the same specs and he can stream while staying constantly about 120 fps.

is your monitor over 60hz?

You should also be getting over 4.2ghz on a 7700k. The boost clock is 4.5. Its unlocked so you could overclock it further, if you have a decent cooler.

Just now, Derrk said:

You should also be getting over 4.2ghz on a 7700k. The boost clock is 4.5. Its unlocked so you could overclock it further, if you have a decent cooler.

Yes my monitor is 144hz.

Ur mobo is ass for a 7700k.

12 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Read this.

Where'd you get the idea to pair an H110 board with a 7700k?

Also what cooler

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

4 minutes ago, Derrk said:

He has an h110 board. 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Just now, bleedblue said:

He has an h110 board. 

oh. yikes.

Get a better mobo, you can probably get better prices soon because of Intel's new gen being announced

5 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Ur mobo is ass for a 7700k.

Read this.

Where'd you get the idea to pair an H110 board with a 7700k?

Also what cooler

I have a cooler master hyper evo 212 and whats wrong with a h110 board and a i7 7700k?

Just now, Nate1 said:

I have a cooler master hyper evo 212 and whats wrong with a h110 board and a i7 7700k?

The exact reasons I outlined. The VRMs are weaksauce so power delivery is awful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Motherboard-GA-Z270P-D3-Z270-S1151-DDR4-SATA-PCI-Express-ATX-Used/132812984961?epid=4023274490&hash=item1eec455281:g:iToAAOSwdU9bvBn5:rk:1:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

How about this bad boy?

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Ok, i dont exactly have enough money for both currently (ram and motherboard), which one would you recommend first? what one will help more?

Just now, Nate1 said:

Ok, i dont exactly have enough money for both currently (ram and motherboard), which one would you recommend first? what one will help more?

I say motherboard first. If anything you can get higher CPU frequency which helps a whole lot, but that ram will of course still hold you back so don't expect much performance gain from upgrading only one of the two. Hopefully the board I linked or one like it will produce a tangible result for you.

Primary PC:

H110s were made for low end, low power chips. Think pentiums and locked i3's.

VRMs are responsible for delivering power to your cpu. Crap ones wont be able to deliver enough or overheat trying to do so leadig to low frequencies and instability. Worst case the board burns up.

Just now, fasauceome said:

I say motherboard first. If anything you can get higher CPU frequency which helps a whole lot, but that ram will of course still hold you back so don't expect much performance gain from upgrading only one of the two. Hopefully the board I linked or one like it will produce a tangible result for you.

Ok Thank you.

Just now, bleedblue said:

VRMs are responsible for delivering power to your cpu. Crap ones wont be able to deliver enough or overheat trying to do so leadig to low frequencies and instability. Worst case the board burns up.

Ok, looks like ill get a new motherboard before ram.

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:

Would you say a z270 is good enough? or do you recommend a better one?

Ok Thank you.

Just remember: B250 at least, with H270 a step up from that, and Z270 being best. 

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Just remember: B250 at least, with H270 a step up from that, and Z270 being best. 

Ok.

Just now, Nate1 said:

Ok.

And remember not to get Z370, since the 300 series is only for 8th gen intel, unlike your 7th gen (unless you knew that already)

Primary PC:

Would you say a z270 is good enough? or do you recommend a better one?

You have a K chip. Overclocking is only supported on Z270 chipsets.

You'll be wasting money on anything but a Z board.