What sort of information can an email and digital certificates reveal?

superbuu

When you send an email to someone, can they gather information about what computer were you using at the time? I mean I know they can know what browser, your ip address and whatnot, but could they be able to know if I sent it from my desktop or from my laptop for instance?

Also can digital certificates reveal any information? for instance a government certificate that they give you to access your social security number, taxes and stuff like that. Can they know from which computer im logged to the site that's using said certificate? Again, IP and browser is a given, I just want to know if they can know I used computer A or computer B, both using the same router (computer A a desktop, computer B a laptop via Wifi).

When you send an email to someone, can they gather information about what computer were you using at the time? I mean I know they can know what browser, your ip address and whatnot, but could they be able to know if I sent it from my desktop or from my laptop for instance?

Absolutely. mail providers and ISPs log and track every single computer that connects to their servers and store information like: IP and MAC (not apple mac but a different mac) Address, full hardware specs like motherboard and processor model and amount of memory installed, operating system, screen type and resolution, storage details including number and size of hard drives, location, 'basic' camera and microphone telemetry if you have those peripherals installed, network type and speed, router model and installed firmware version, type of wireless security if the router has wireless enabled, ports open and number of devices connected to the router

you shouldn't worry about certificates imo

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

The IPs of either computer will be different, which will show that you used a different computer.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

17 minutes ago, superbuu said:

Also can digital certificates reveal any information? for instance a government certificate that they give you to access your social security number, taxes and stuff like that. Can they know from which computer im logged to the site that's using said certificate? Again, IP and browser is a given, I just want to know if they can know I used computer A or computer B, both using the same router (computer A a desktop, computer B a laptop via Wifi).

Sounds like you need a VPN, to get away with...minor things.

If its major then you need to use other operating systems and talk to people smarter than I.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

This is a pretty complicated question which requires more info than what you have provided.

11 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Absolutely. mail providers and ISPs log and track every single computer that connects to their servers and store information like: IP and MAC (not apple mac but a different mac) Address, full hardware specs like motherboard and processor model and amount of memory installed, operating system, screen type and resolution, storage details including number and size of hard drives, location, 'basic' camera and microphone telemetry if you have those peripherals installed, network type and speed, router model and installed firmware version, type of wireless security if the router has wireless enabled, ports open and number of devices connected to the router

Not necessarily. In most cases they don't have access to even half of the things you listed.

11 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The IPs of either computer will be different, which will show that you used a different computer. 

The IP will most likely appear the same to the mail provider and ISP.

Most people run NAT-overload so their external IP is the same for every computer on the inside network.

11 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Sounds like you need a VPN, to get away with...minor things.

A VPN would not protect him from this type of information leakage.

12 hours ago, aezakmi said:

They can really only track the IP and client the email came from and who it's going to.   As for all the other things like your mac address, processor, motherboard etc. the email client would have to be scraping that data and seeding it in an email for them to get it.   To date I don't think any of the thousands of security analysts out there have discovered an email client that does this.  Happy to be proven wrong if one does exist though.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In most cases, for example when someone just sends an email through gmail or outlook in the online interface, this is what the recipient can collect:

• Your email address (although this field can be modified by the sender and is therefore not trustworthy).
  • The recipients email address (as in, their own email address)
  • The content of the mail.
  • Which mail server delivered the mail (that is to say, if you sent it from gmail then they can see that the gmail server delivered it).
  • When the mail was sent (although this field can be modified by the sender and is therefore not trustworthy).
  • When the mail was received.

Your ISP can see:

• That you connected to a gmail server.
  • When you connected to it.
  • Your public IP address. (Note, not your local IP, not your MAC, or any other type of address. Just the public IP which is most likely the same for all computers on your network).
  • How much data was transferred, but not what data.
  • Roughly when you stopped browsing gmail.

Your email provider can potentially see:

• Your email address (to the email provider, this field is verified and trusted).
  • The recipients email address.
  • The content of the mail.
  • When the mail was sent (to the email provider, this field is somewhat trusted since they can see when the email was sent to them).
  • Your IP address
  • Anything which can be collected through your browser. This includes things like browser version, OS version, language settings, and a few other things (although these are not trusted since they can be modified by the user)

12 hours ago, superbuu said:

It depends on how you use the certificate.

If it's from some specific program then they might have a way of tracking various installs. But if it's just a webpage where you input it then no, in most cases they will not be able to tell if you used your laptop or desktop.

It's not impossible, but it requires some additional info which they most likely don't have access to. For example if you use Chrome on your laptop and Firefox on your desktop and they know that, they can make an educated guess that you're on your laptop if they see that you're connecting with Chrome.

Lawlz said pretty much everything you need to know. There are some steps you can take to strengthen your privacy online:

1. Open up a secure e-mail account like ProtonMail or Tutanota. They are encrypted and safe.

2. Use a premium no-log VPN like NordVPN or PIA. Your ISP will only see VPN traffic, but your whole connection will be encrypted.

3. Use custom user agents, there are extensions like Chrome UA Spoofer and such.

4. Use extensions like Privacy Badger, uBlock Origins and HTTPS everywhere.

5. Last but not least. Use Tails OS if you are really paranoid.

14 hours ago, superbuu said:

No, they can't, and they can't know your IP either unless you both use self hosted e-mail... of course, your e-mail provider can know your IP address. @LAwLz pretty much covered it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not sure I can add much to this topic, but I'm pretty sure PeerBlock is a nice bit of software along with a VPN as some others have suggested.

But yeah if you want secure, Windows isn't the way to go in 2018. 

On 10/10/2018 at 8:00 PM, aezakmi said:

You are trolling right?

On 10/10/2018 at 7:52 PM, James Evens said:

short question: why do you need to worry about law enforcement tracking you?

If you use windows one of your largest problem are srum dumps.

Im not doing anything illegal, I just own a couple hundred worth of bitcoin and I want to be sure it stays safe so im considering all scenarios.