Can I use an external but attached mic with my DSLR?

k_jonsie_
Go to solution Solved by Megabikerjoe,

What do you mean by clap before the video sorry i don't understand im new to this

So your camera can't sync the Audio and Video for you because you don't have a mic input. Thats why you need to use an external solution. When editing the video you sync the moment when you clap your hands(in the video) and the moment you hear the sound. After you synced them you can delete the part where you clapped and you have a synced video.

EDIT: Or do it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aeuy6MrbHY

I recently purchased a Nikon D3100 dslr for myself and I wanted to start a youtube channel..  But I've read all over the internet that I have to use the onboard mic which is terrible by the way.  Is there a way I can use a better microphone by attaching it to the foot mount on my camera or do I have to get one of the hand held ones and sync the audio to the video?  If the answer is the latter what external mics would you recommend?

PC:  Asus K53E    Camera:   Nikon D3100

This should be in Photo/Video, But I believe all nikon DSLR's have 3.5mm jack for a mic

Unless the camera has a mic input you will need an external solution. Syncing up the audio isn't that hard though, just do the good ol' clap before a take and you're golden. Most external solutions offer controls that are vastly superior to in camera controls as well.

As long as your DSLR has a 3.5mm jack like your mic, you're fine.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

If you cannot plug it into the camera, just use it externally and clap a few times to sync the video and audio.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Unless the camera has a mic input you will need an external solution. Syncing up the audio isn't that hard though, just do the good ol' clap before a take and you're golden. Most external solutions offer controls that are vastly superior to in camera controls as well.

What do you mean by clap before the video sorry i don't understand im new to this

PC:  Asus K53E    Camera:   Nikon D3100

He means that you need to synchronize the audio and video properly (which is one of the main uses of the clapperboard: timing)

Although he may also be referring to regular clapping, but the idea is the same

So your camera can't sync the Audio and Video for you because you don't have a mic input. Thats why you need to use an external solution. When editing the video you sync the moment when you clap your hands(in the video) and the moment you hear the sound. After you synced them you can delete the part where you clapped and you have a synced video.

EDIT: Or do it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aeuy6MrbHY

Spoiler

CPU: 3570k @ 4.8Ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-UD5H GPU: GTX 1060 PSU: BeQuiet PP 630W OS: Mac OSX & W10 Ram: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16gb 1600mhz Storage: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB; 1x Samsung 850 evo 250GB  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Audio: Fiio E10 & Sennheiser HD558 Display: Eizo FS2333