Dropped my CPU :'(

Well, I didn't.. my mother actually did. She was cleaning in the kitchen and I had just got done upgrading/installing my new CPU. It slid off the heatsink it was sitting on and fell out of the plastic casing. She wouldn't tell me anymore.. seeing as I was already really upset.

But not important...

How do I tell if its still ok without testing it in my PC. I would rather not have to test it in my machine as i just got finished putting in my new CPU/Heatsink.. and don't want to take an even bigger chance and bust it as well.

I have some pictures of it up close. I don't see anything wrong.. but I don't recall what its supposed to look like anyways.  :mellow: I was going to sell it for ~80$, if it looks alright would anyone take the chance at say 50$. I just want some return off of it. 

Pics: 

http://imgur.com/CZxdD2S

http://imgur.com/fS0G9P5

http://imgur.com/Z9T9rjq

http://imgur.com/BgmPEPI

Well, I didn't.. my mother actually did. She was cleaning in the kitchen and I had just got done upgrading/installing my new CPU. It slid off the heatsink it was sitting on and fell out of the plastic casing. She wouldn't tell me anymore.. seeing as I was already really upset.

Why isn't she in jail? >:'(

Should be OK but you won't know until you actually test it, I wouldn't recommend throwing it around a room but CPU's are tough little things with only static discharges being the biggest risk to them

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

It should be fine but it would be best to test it first to be sure.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

There are no pins to be bent so it could still be fine

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Should be OK but you won't know until you actually test it

Take heart that your CPU doesn't have any pins, unlike the old pentiums.

Someone please tell me why his mother isn't in jail >:'(

Since most modern intel cpu's don't have pins, you should be ok, however I'd be worried if you saw a scratch or a dent on anything, if not, your perfectly fine.

It takes like 10 minutes to swap a CPU why not just do that?

Take it to a local PC shop and tell them to pop it in.

it should be fine though.

Error: 410

Someone please tell me why his mother isn't in jail >:'(

*Places her under arrest

You were saying :D

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

*Places her under arrest

You were saying :D

Now that's justice.... Gotham City is safe for now.....

Now that's justice.... Gotham City is safe for now.....

*Stands proud in a Robocop like manner

:lol: You guys are too funny. I've forgiven her anyways. 

I'll still put it for sale, but offer a refund if the CPU doesn't function. It wouldn't take me 10 minutes to plop it in my PC and try it...  :unsure:

Thanks all!

CPUs are actually very durable these days. You can drop them a fair bit and they'll still work.

I think back in the old days, some CPUs were rather fragile and they broke easily when dropped.

And since there's no pins on your CPU, you have less to worry about.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

looks fine, I am pretty sure it has been dropped a few times while it was in the store. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4HpGaKkXnA

Watch this, it should make you feel better.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4HpGaKkXnA

Watch this, it should make you feel better.

I knew exactly what video that was going to be even before clicking on the link lol

I knew exactly what video that was going to be even before clicking on the link lol

haha I couldn't find it on youtube so I has to scroll through months of my history.

haha I couldn't find it on youtube so I has to scroll through months of my history.

I'm subcribed to him, if you PM'ed me I could have sent you the link :)

It should be fine and there is no need to lock up your mom but she is however owing you a month's worth of favorite meals and no chores.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I think it'd be completely fine.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0