Oil cooled pc

Going to be water cooling my rig with help with some friends what is the best fluid to use I know that Linus says water but what about everyone else 

6 minutes ago, Intheknow said:

Going to be water cooling my rig with help with some friends what is the best fluid to use I know that Linus says water but what about everyone else 

vodka.

don't laugh...google

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I am more concerned with this topic title. You're planning to use OIL? X.X

Distilled water is best, there are other pre-made cooling fluids that also work well. 

After reading the title I thought you were going to be doing a mineral oil build ? If you're talking instead about a liquid cooled build I'd use distilled water or another pre-made fluid.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

1 minute ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

After reading the title I thought you were going to be doing a mineral oil build ? If you're talking instead about a liquid cooled build I'd use distilled water or another pre-made fluid.

For anyone wondering, google "Mineral Oil PC". Linus and Luke did a build log on a pc built in a clear tank filled with mineral oil, which unlike water doesn't cause electrical problems.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

Some people use distilled water but you need to add a biocide or kill coil as well as anticorrosives and things can go wrong.

So the best option is to get some premixed fluid from EK or Mayhems like Cryofuel or whatever.

For the least maintenance necessary use clear fluid.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the very best is distilled water with added biocide. clean blocks, no growth. you could run a rig for years upon years on the stuff without the need for maintenance.

if you want something flashy tough you could always get a premixed fluid from EK or Mayhems or something.

But how often should you pull drain the water out

23 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

once a year is recommended, but it all depends on what fluid you use.

I assume all-in-one pre-built units don't need this, or am I wrong? (From the pics I've seen it seems like it would break things pulling it apart, but I don't know for certain)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I assume all-in-one pre-built units don't need this, or am I wrong? (From the pics I've seen it seems like it would break things pulling it apart, but I don't know for certain)

correct, all in one cooling loops generally don't need refilling or maintenance. they usually use glycol based coolants too.

ofcourse permiation does still occur in these coolers, but usually only after a few years of usage. Because of how they are built refilling is a hassle, and usually even voids the warranty!

Just now, RollinLower said:

correct, all in one cooling loops generally don't need refilling or maintenance. they usually use glycol based coolants too.

ofcourse permiation does still occur in these coolers, but usually only after a few years of usage. Because of how they are built refilling is a hassle, and usually even voids the warranty!

Thank you for that information :)

5 hours ago, Intheknow said:

But could you fill the loop with minoral oil ???

It's not good for the seals especially if they aren't oil resistant, as most rubber orings will break down or crack. It will also be less efficient than actual distilled water due to the lower heat capacity that mineral oil has. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's not good for the seals especially if they aren't oil resistant, as most rubber orings will break down or crack. It will also be less efficient than actual distilled water due to the lower heat capacity that mineral oil has. 

yes this, you could replace the seals with silicone, epdm, or neoprene.  but you wouldn't get he heat transfer like water does in a rad

distilled water is good but if you even mix nickle plated/chrome plated / pure copper   the difference's are not massive like aluminum in the periodic chart and wont make a galvanic reaction with as much force.  

Fluids you buy usually have added  corrosion inhibitors and biocides.   and not to mix them since you don't know what chemicals they put in both might have a reaction or stop properties of on or the other or both.. 

Dont put oil in a closed loop unless you really really really think it through and study how oil affect every thing differently than water in a closed loop situation including that it would make most tubes brittle and subject to cracking eventually over time.

IF, and its big IF, you perfectly prep the parts (clean them out) befor filing the loop, you can get away with just distileld water and a few drops of biocide, that wil last years out of direct sunlight.

I run distilled and biocide and have not had to drain the loop in 4 years.

BUT i would never recommend that.

Its always best to flush your loop every year. Do as i say not as i do :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |