I've been gaming on PC for 5 years now....but not really

KennySpag

Foreword: plz dont bully me

Ive been gaming on PC now for 5 years...but not really. I have been gaming on a 2013 Apple Macbook Pro 13' retina for that time. I get roughly 20fps (when not recording) and 10fps (when recording) on CS:GO, 40-18 on tf2, 20-15 on insurgency and so on (I can only play source games as only they are optimised enough for it). My Mac originally had 1.5gb of vram as it has a intel iris 5100, but after extensive gaming and rendering, I believe that I only am running on 0.5-0.8gb of vram now. Now, I know what your probably thinking,

wHY ArE YOu GaMINg oN A maCbOok!!??     and my answer is a pretty simple one: because I have nothing else.

So, after 5 years of eye cancer I have decided to make a change. Im buying a PC not a mac, A PC. I'll link the shopping cart and PCPartPicker below of my build but for those who aren't gonna bother i'll give you a rundown. (BTW, the price will probably be in Australian dollars) The system will have a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Wraith Max Cooler to replace stock), ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1060 Strix Gaming 6GB, ROG Strix B450-f Motherboard and 16gb of G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz ddr4 ram.

What I want to know is: what do you think? I have done plenty of research on this build and I believe it will fill my needs (Mainly recording and editing) I dont plan on having to upgrade it for a while, whilst I save for a car soon. (Keep in mind low fps doesn't bother all that much anymore, I've been playing on 20fps *unstable* for a long time now that my graphics have burnt out). Do you think it'll last a couple of years or so while I save up for upgrades? Let me know.

Kenny

PC Case Gear: https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/qKz

PC Part Picker: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/KennySpag/saved/xVWNNG

this will do just fine for gaming and recording

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

Looks like a good build. Not sure why you're buying a Wraith cooler when the CPU comes with one already. Take that off the build and put the money towards a larger NVME SSD like a Samsung 970 Evo. Samsung drives are the best of the best, and NVME speeds are far faster than SATA.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Since you're getting a free sync monitor, get an rx 580 8gb with it. 

10 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Looks like a good build. Not sure why you're buying a Wraith cooler when the CPU comes with one already. Take that off the build and put the money towards a larger NVME SSD like a Samsung 970 Evo. Samsung drives are the best of the best, and NVME speeds are far faster than SATA.

13 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Why are you buying a second wraith cooler?

The reason I’m getting a second wraith cooler is because the packages wraith stealth is... well.... shit. And I was originally getting a 970 evo but I’m only gonna put my os and a few games on it so I don’t see the point all that much. Load times don’t affect in-game performance all that much and I’m not gonna be recording to the ssd. 

2 minutes ago, KennySpag said:

The reason I’m getting a second wraith cooler is because the packages wraith stealth is... well.... shit.

go pick up a ninja 4 from amazon instead, much better for the same price.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

15 hours ago, KennySpag said:

The reason I’m getting a second wraith cooler is because the packages wraith stealth is... well.... shit.

I would advice instead to get a aftermarket cpu cooler 

Do you plan on upgrading the gtx 1060 because if not the 144hz monitor will be pointless. Did you consider buying a used gtx 1060, cpu, ram?

14 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'd also hit the used market for a pascal card.  You can probably get a 1070/1070ti/1080 for that price off the used market.  If you get an EVGA one that warranty transfers to you.  Also, that PSU isn't that great.

Would buying a used GPU affect its performance?

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Does it beat the H7?  Cuz the H7 is a bit cheaper in his country.

it's closer to the D14 in performance:

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7593/scythe-ninja-4-scnj-4000-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($235.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe - SCNJ-4000 84.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.78 @ Amazon Australia) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($259.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($85.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($159.01 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card  ($629.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa J24 TG RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($299.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $2122.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-03 20:46 AEST+1000

@valdyrgramr

any respectable sellers of second hand cards that you could link to me so I can investigate. 

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

eBay I can't link though by forum rules.

CS says you're allowed to link it if it's appropriate.