Raspberry Pi Specs?

Lilninjsways

So i just saw someone talk about the raspberry pi for the first time in about a year or so and they asked about pc emulation on it and wondered what specs the raspberry pi had and what it could emulate! 

Or if its not to do with emulation what else could a raspberry pi do when it comes to doing things on a pc

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

So i just saw someone talk about the raspberry pi for the first time in about a year or so and they asked about pc emulation on it and wondered what specs the raspberry pi had and what it could emulate! 

Or if its not to do with emulation what else could a raspberry pi do when it comes to doing things on a pc

as far as i have seen, the only thing it can emulate is old games like the Atari or SNES

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

as far as i have seen, the only thing it can emulate is old games like the Atari or SNES

oh okay i see... whats the raspberry Pi for other than that?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Just now, Lilninjsways said:

web browsing

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

web browsing

that's it?

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

Dev projects, basic servers, central control in DIY drones and automation.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

With my retropie system using the 3b+ I can play most systems up to Playstation 1. N64 gets a little sketchy with most games being slow or not working. 

For system emulation higher than the PS1 and N64 I use a program called "Moonlight" it uses steam streaming to open up my steam library where It will automatically open up "RetroCake" and have my high-process gaming available through that. Moonlight handles all the AV & Controller forwarding between the Pi & PC

It is was a lot of work and learning and can be intimidating, but it was totally worth it to have all those games back :D

9 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

Home theater player (HTPC), server for a ton of things, lightweight computer for browsing, programming, i had it set up as a music server to which i pushed songs/youtube links from my phone and it played it on a huge setup at a party, you can use it for home automation, drones, as a controller for IoT, i also have a ton of sensors attached to one of my pi's and it then communicates with a database to insert the data and analyze it.

"whats the raspberry pi for other than that"? Basically every single thing.

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

Just now, Looting said:

With my retropie system using the 3b+ I can play most systems up to Playstation 1. N64 gets a little sketchy with most games being slow or not working. 

For system emulation higher than the PS1 and N64 I use a program called "Moonlight" it uses steam streaming to open up my steam library where It will automatically open up "RetroCake" and have my high-process gaming available through that. Moonlight handles all the AV & Controller forwarding between the Pi & PC

oh i see! Very interesting :) can i get a cover/case for a raspberry pi if i ever decide to buy one?

Spoiler

Just now, Thunderzzu said:

Home theater player (HTPC), server for a ton of things, lightweight computer for browsing, programming, i had it set up as a music server to which i pushed songs/youtube links from my phone and it played it on a huge setup at a party, you can use it for home automation, drones, as a controller for IoT, i also have a ton of sensors attached to one of my pi's and it then communicates with a database to insert the data and analyze it.

"whats the raspberry pi for other than that"? Basically every single thing.

seem's very cool! may consider getting one... what are the display ports?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Lilninjsways said:

oh i see! Very interesting :) can i get a cover/case for a raspberry pi if i ever decide to buy one?

Yes, look up 'RetroFlag' Cases on amazon. They have 2 cases out now. SNES and & NES style.

Just now, Lilninjsways said:

HDMI

Just now, Looting said:

Yes, look up 'RetroFlag' Cases on amazon. They have 2 cases out now. SNES and & NES style.

Oh okay i will check in a few minutes... do i need fans on it or anything like that? ( on the raspberry Pi itself not in the case)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Lilninjsways said:

• Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.4GHz
  • 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
  • 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2, BLE
  • Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0 (maximum throughput 300 Mbps)
  • Extended 40-pin GPIO header
  • Full-size HDMI
  • 4 USB 2.0 ports
  • CSI camera port for connecting a Raspberry Pi camera
  • DSI display port for connecting a Raspberry Pi touchscreen display
  • 4-pole stereo output and composite video port
  • Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
  • 5V/2.5A DC power input
  • Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support (requires separate PoE HAT)

That's the spec page of the Raspberry pi 3b+, which is the latest in the lineup.

You can connect a monitor/tv via HDMI and a touchscreen display via DSI

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

4 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

Oh okay i will check in a few minutes... do i need fans on it or anything like that? ( on the raspberry Pi itself not in the case)

Not really, only thing I would suggest are some heatsinks. 

Just now, Looting said:

Not really, only thing I would suggest are some heatsings. 

where would i get that?

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

You can use it as a media center with kodi, or really for pretty much anything you use a normal pc for - it will just be slower for most things (not for video playback though, in that sense it's a beast if you use software that takes advantage of its gpu).

33 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

where would i get that?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=raspi+heatsink

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

51 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

that's it?

Tons of shit, gaming is just one tiny aspect of computing.

Automation

Network Appliances (PiHole)

HTPC

Traffic Simulator / Generator

Web Browsing

5 hours ago, Lilninjsways said:

5 hours ago, Lilninjsways said:

Not to be mean or anything, but if you can't figure out how to look up this basic information for yourself then chances are you won't have a good time with a Raspberry Pi.

A Raspberry Pi is not just plug-n-play. It will require some amount of research and configuration from your part.

As for what you can use a Raspberry Pi for, it's just a low power GNU/Linux computer. You can do more or less anything you want on it.

I used to host my website on it, plus a mail server an Pi-Hole (DNS based ad-blocking).

The current Pi3+ revision uses a quad core ARMv8 Soc made up of 1.3ghz A53s. So it's pretty similar to a midrange smartphone as far as CPU is concerned. 

Basic office PC and web browsing do work on the pi, but the 1gb of ram is the main limiter here. I actually used mine as a low power nas for a while. 

Also, you can install emulators through stuff like retropie. Should be powerful enough for anything up to 4th gen consoles (SNES, MD etc) and probably 5th gen as well, but maybe not flawlessly. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, Looting said:

It is was a lot of work and learning and can be intimidating, but it was totally worth it to have all those games back :D

@Looting is your configuration with raspbian stretch? We recently got around to trying moonlight after a pc build consisting of a compatible GTX, but could never get moonlight to configure. We read that it might be due to raspbian stretch, was curious if this might be true or if you had to work through some other challenges.

13 hours ago, TinyArcade said:

@Looting is your configuration with raspbian stretch? We recently got around to trying moonlight after a pc build consisting of a compatible GTX, but could never get moonlight to configure. We read that it might be due to raspbian stretch, was curious if this might be true or if you had to work through some other challenges.

I did mine through 'RetroPie' it is in the "Development" builds that can be installed. It does a get a bit complicated to install and port controls over, but once you get it worked out it is smooth and never really had an issue. 1 big issue I have had is that i cant the PS2 dual-shock games such as GTA the joysticks get a little weird and do not work correctly on the PS2 emulator. 

On 10/2/2018 at 8:41 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

you can install emulators through stuff like retropie. Should be powerful enough for anything up to 4th gen consoles (SNES, MD etc) and probably 5th gen as well, but maybe not flawlessly. 

I've had good success on emulating the N64 and Dreamcast, overclocking the GPU goes a long way for those (aim for 500+MHz). A CPU overclock helps a lot to emulate PS1 (depending on what version of the Pi you have, the 3b+ seems fine at stock)

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

On 10/25/2018 at 11:02 AM, Looting said:

I did mine through 'RetroPie' it is in the "Development" builds that can be installed. It does a get a bit complicated to install and port controls over, but once you get it worked out it is smooth and never really had an issue. 1 big issue I have had is that i cant the PS2 dual-shock games such as GTA the joysticks get a little weird and do not work correctly on the PS2 emulator. 

@Looting Ah.... yes... I was just reminded exactly why I was led into trouble, and it was our own doing. I wanted this within RetroPie which I  currently have within OSMC. I have a main media pi and since OSMC is the base os, I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

Did you ever receive "Failed to pair to server: Failed to sign data" with your regular build?

This is what we have done to get Luna to almost pair within OSMC/RetroPie

**All the details ahead are if you're interested in having OSMC/Retropie and Moonlight:

We found that multiple forums suggest that Stretch is not compatible with GeForce updates, and because when installing moonlight, the steps require to modify /etc/apt/sources.list/ with:

deb http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian jessie main contrib non-free
and
deb http://archive.itimmer.nl/raspbian/moonlight jessie main

which specifically update Jessie packages.

Apparently the adaptation of moonlight for OSMC is called Luna, and user "Toast" gives a pretty good set of instructions on how to install Luna onto OSMC:

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/howto-moonlight-embedded-former-limelight-using-luna-launcher/5848

There are also other steps needed to update the gpg key:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=189069

https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-embedded/issues/657

https://chrisjean.com/fix-apt-get-update-the-following-signatures-couldnt-be-verified-because-the-public-key-is-not-available/

Now after all of that, since I had to over complicate things, we now have the moonlight libraries installed, and the command moonlight can be used, however, when we use Sudo Moonlight pair 192.xxx.xxx.xxx , we now receive the prompt to pair with our PC (as if the PI was a Nvidia shield)

Please enter the following PIN on the target PC: 5158

but then when we choose enter with the Nvidia GeForce Experience application to confirm authentication, we receive:

Failed to pair to server: Failed to sign data

I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 monitoring my UPS and sharing its status over the network to my other systems. My big server is set up to power off if power-outage lasts for more than 5 minutes and the RPi wakes it back up once power returns via WoL -- this, because the big server uses a lot of power and would empty the UPS quite quickly, but if I turn it off, the UPS can power my router, RPi and switch for a couple of hours, keeping my Internet-connection alive even during power-outage.

Also, my RPi is set up to receive remote-sensor data from several WiFi- and LoRa-based remote-sensors and logging the data into a MySQL-database. It also runs OpenHab2 (a home-automation system) which presents the sensor-data, draws various graphs of them, lets me remotely turn on and off a bunch of different devices and remotely-operated relays and so on, all on a clean and minimalistic web-interface.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.